Pod Your Reef

Nanoty's clownfish pron thread

nanoty

I sorries. Everything is still there, just finding time to work on it is becoming a problem. Probably going to sell my 90g and biocube to free up some time and money so I can concentrate on it more. All three clownfish pairs are doing well and growing. My weekends are tied up for a while so I will update as soon as possible.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from vacation. House AC breaker tripped some time while we were gone. Nuked the tank holding my Grade A/B pair, other picassos and B&Ws are barely holding on in 96 deg water. We'll see if they make it. Damnit

:(

That sucks man! Do you think it would be better to slowly lower the temp, or quickly jump it down closer to 80?

I put some ice in a bag in there to bring it down a little. Going to leave the top open and let it cool down as the house does now. They seem to be holding on so far. The reason the other clowns died so fast was the corals nuked and killed them. There weren't any in the other tanks and they seem to be holding. Even my carpet nem and tang are looking ok in the 96 degree water. Odd. I am rethinking things for the time being.

Not saying that, just need to figure out how to protect everything before I spent a ton (more) money on it. Wife says I need a controller that emails me with tank alerts. Me thinks she's right.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Wait, what?

So my wife keeps asking me if I am going to do this? I think yes, smaller scale than originally planned but why not? I've got the money, just need the time. Watch for a build in the near future.

take your time, it will all come together, it'll be fun but will also be time consuming.. lots of trial and error,, i gather and ask alot of questions to different breeders to see how i can better my setup, i know alot but there's alot of people that are very successful and have knowledge, you just need to find the right people and they will give you some great advice!!! goodluck and i hope you do good,,, it's awsome to see people trying to raise clowns, puts a stop on alot of clown collecting, soon we will have some very nice clowns poping up soon.. really soon!!!

A question for those who are breeding now. I am in the process of collecting pairs and fish to pair up. Some will be already spawning when purchased and some I am pairing myself in hopes of them spawning later. That being said, I will most likely not be ready to raise for at least a few more months. In the off chance that a pair or two I aquire begin to spawn quickier than I expect are there negative effects to them spawning and me not raising the fry?

Would it be better to remove the eggs and replace the pot as if I was raising them or just let the parents take care of them as long as they will? I realize I am getting ahead of myself but I am trying to be as prepared as possible. Thanks

I just leave the pot in with the parents and the mom and dad will eat the larvae before the sun comes up. Doesn't bother them in the least bit, lol, and is like a buffet of their own making. :)

I guess if you want to condition them to not freak out when the eggs are removed you could just pull the pot and put it in your main tank to feed whatever fish are in there.

Happy to see another breeder but thread is totally misnamed. I came I saw I leave dissappointed lol.

Agreed, was supposed to be running long ago but a series of events led me to postpone for a long time. Back on track now with the wifes support.

I just leave the pot in with the parents and the mom and dad will eat the larvae before the sun comes up. Doesn't bother them in the least bit, lol, and is like a buffet of their own making. :)

I guess if you want to condition them to not freak out when the eggs are removed you could just pull the pot and put it in your main tank to feed whatever fish are in there.

Sounds like a weiner....

You won't lose anything by leaving the eggs in with the parents save the larva. It actually might be a good thing for a newly acquired pair - they should get more comfortable as time goes on (and hopefully giving you bigger spawns!). I've read to many things where people have pulled eggs and have that throw off the breeding cycle. Heck some clowns will stop breeding if you move their rock/pot/tile a couple of inches in either direction...

Archived