SaltCritters.com

Nanoty's clownfish pron thread

nanoty

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol

Alright, now that the fun is over. I didn't want to post this so early since I'm still in the planning stages but here is the plan.

For over a year now I have been planning on attempting to breed a few different species of clownfish. I will be setting up a system in my WC room where my temporary tank is now. The tanks in the pictures are old display tanks that I received (for free) and are basically 33 longs that have been drilled and divided. They are 48"x13"x13". I need to clean them up obviously and a few need to be resealed but that is a piece of cake. I will also replace the dividers with black acrylic so the different pairs cannot see one another.

The plan is to build a rack to hold 3 of the tanks (one will be a back up) and plumb them all to one system using either a 150g stock tank or a large aquarium for a refugium/sump. I recently purchased 2 pair of picasso clowns and already have a pair of ORA misbar B&W clowns. I plan on purchasing more pairs of at least two more species and hope to aquire at least one pair that is already spawning or about to.

Here is the list so far:

A. ocellaris (currently have one pair of B&W ORA misbars, want to aquire another pair)

A. percula (have 4 so far, 1 grade A picasso, 2 grade B picassos and one normal, might buy 2 more)

A. clarkii (need to find a nice pair, becoming increasingly interested in this species)

A. melanopus (not easy to find)

As busy as I am at work this will (like all my projects) take a while but I am deeply commited to giving it a go. My wife has expressed a lot of interest in helping me which will help and she is reading Joyce Wilkerson's book right now (I have read it twice and about to again).

I would like to thanks my local club and the member dwnbydasea (James) for hooking my up with the tanks and helping me along and I would like to thank my wife for putting up with my crap and pretending to be interesting in my insane hobby.

That's all I have for now. Check back later for updates :)

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

Exactly

OK, so instead of getting out- your all in??

:P

Might as well eh? Seriously though, the system itself will be easy to maintain. It will have a level loc maintain and its own dedicated RO, plus it will be plumbed to that I can do waterchanges with a few switches since it will be right next to my WC storage.

It's de clownz

Sure :huh:

bbq is wrong....

bbq is never wrong.......

I came very close to giving the breeding thing a go... Didn't because it is nearly impossible to even break even. This site was helpful for me. Good luck!

Thanks, I am a member there also. Honestly I don't plan on trying this as a money making business it is merely something I would like to try and do. If it works out that I can recoup some cost by selling the fish locally or to LFSs then that would be nice since I would also like to help flood the market with captive bred fish. At the same time perhaps I can experiment along the way and come up with some uncoventional ways of raising fish that help out the hobby.

Thanks, I am a member there also. Honestly I don't plan on trying this as a money making business it is merely something I would like to try and do. If it works out that I can recoup some cost by selling the fish locally or to LFSs then that would be nice since I would also like to help flood the market with captive bred fish. At the same time perhaps I can experiment along the way and come up with some uncoventional ways of raising fish that help out the hobby.

I have 21 of them and 7 stands and pumps and heaters and chillers and and

:P

tanks002.jpg

Have fun i will!

So which Petco did you buy those from? When we closed mine down some people got some really good deals on our display tanks, and those are the exact ones lol....

Looks good, they should work well for broodstock tanks. You could prob go with a 50gal stock tub for the sump. Use BRT's for growout, you need a rack for phyto, etc.

Archived