inTank Media Baskets

JP's Standard Issue Tank thread

bitts

well theres still plenty of almost all the fauna. its simply the size amount of the population. like the worms in the sand bed, I lost most of the 5,6,&8 inch monsters that I had grown out in the 10's sump. I still have plenty of 2 & 3 inchers. but they don't processes the waste at the same rate. also the time it takes them to reestablish the bed will be greater. which is well fine except I have no patience. I've been running the fuge dark to encourager the production of zooplankton. which is going quite well. the main thing is I'm sure that the lower depths of the bed have been suffocated be the reduced turnover/stirring by said fauna & the concentration of nutrients from this die off to the upper most portion of the bed. limiting the functional depth to maybe 2 or 3cm 4 if I'm lucky. since that were the majority of the fauna is concentrated. Again I'm seeing improvement, as the cyano that had over grown the sand has since been eliminated. indicating that the nitrate is being processed by the bed. there is substantial worm activity in the sand that can be seen through the glass. over all it could be much worse. main concerns are maintaining the boundary layer above the bed with out having more flow than the lps can handle. combined with the rate of denitrification in the bed being masked by other forms.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zooplankton is benefited by a dark sump with lower through flow combined with high turnover (around 8-10cm/sec across the bed.). in this suitable habitats for pods & such should be suspended. like those green scrubbing pads that look like a ball of cheato or the tubular foam to put over drains.

as long as you can get it to tumble. although I haven't had mine tumble in for ever. I can never seem to bring myself to through any out. I might lose some bugs. yes this is when you shake your head & laugh.

animalmaster6

We have a 15 amp circuit and just the lights are 12 amps. We need to upgrade the circuit. An electrician is gonna come in and upgrade the circuit. Hopefully it won't delay the tank too much.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so the other day well week or what ever it was I some how ended up in an argument with cptin billy about posting styles & how if your doing a sump not to include a fuge. apparently there the source of all that is evil & wrong with the universe. any way with out getting sucked into that again. it got me thinkin about why I would rather run a dsb methodology system, knowing that they are more complected, than a trad style berlin. now What I've come up with is that the dsb set up is to recreate the ecosystem, while the berlin is to solely maintain water chemistry with a minimal nitrogen cycle. so I guess at this point I'm asking if this conclusion is reasonable or am I smokin crack.

well not so much a question of to fuge or not to fuge. as I find my self viewing the berlin style as simply being focused on water chemistry & minimizing the nitrogen cycle to its most basic levels. enabling the livestock to thrive in the equivalent of a laboratory setting. where as with the dsb/fuge/natural system being based on the use of ecology to maintain the tank. utilizing the water column & sediment layer together with carbon dosing to fully recreate the natural environment as best we can. now we all know that I'm a sand guy & that I'm extremely biased towards the use of a full the dsb & ecology, since its easier to achieve the full biologic system through its use than with a shallower bed or no bed. again my bias showing there. that this is how I've always thought & maintained my systems for the most part. be it with the sand bed only in the sump at times. but with this being the thought pattern that I've always followed since it was how I was thought to run system's. I never really gave the berlin system much thought. sure I knew how it worked, bet never really thought about the details in depth. Now that I am, I'm wondering if my interpretation is correct or not. is it just about the chemistry while ignoring the biology as much as possible.

animalmaster6

I won't have a tank without a sand bed. They are so important for the tank. I'm speaking of all the worms and microfauna, I personally dislike the look of bare bottom tanks as well. Sand just makes everything right :happy:

I won't have a tank without a sand bed. They are so important for the tank. I'm speaking of all the worms and microfauna, I personally dislike the look of bare bottom tanks as well. Sand just makes everything right :happy:

this will make you laugh. I actually prefer the look of a bare bottom setup.

nice tanks!!!!!!

thank you complements are always appreciated.

ftsMAIN.jpg

i would love to see a link to this tank, it is amazing.

Also love tigahboys tank :) Mad props to him on that tank / scape, seeing it in person was definitely a treat.

Archived