Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

JP's Standard Issue Tank thread

bitts

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry I haven't for=unf=d the link to that one I look some more though its around hear some where.

I was wondering if those of you who have vortechhave about the same level of noise.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jptibbles/Vort...425306522914434

I bought a used (1 year old) mp20 that i have on the tank for a week now and barely makes a sound. If I put my ear right up to it I can hear a hum, thats it.

I know i have heard people say make sure that it is aligned properly and make sure the glass thickness setting is correct. Im sure you have done that already.

How old is it. If you cant get it to quiet down I would contact them or return and exchange it.

Good luck

gg

I've actually been running it since may june, bought new. kinda of just figured that it was normal motor noise, but was talking with nork & it got me thinking. the ones at the fish shop are silent. I have shot an email off to ecotech who asked for the video. hope they have a suggestion on how to adjust it. I have tweaked it but this is as good as it get's.

ps thanks for the input gg.

• 2 weeks later...

well I already post this up in AM's thread so I might as well do it in here. this is where it would be long any way. the tank is a disaster at the moment. but mostly from my letting the algae in it take care of its self. since I'm really the only one who see's the tank & its helping keep every thing @ or below detectable levels. I don't seem to be bothered by it. well at least not till others see it then its damn embarrassing. so don't laugh. anyway some one got me a helfrich for C-Mas, despite the fact I already have one in the tank. had no where to put him but in the tank so we'll see how it goes but so far so good.

CIMG9218.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/jptibbles/Fish...796543551108690

well I guess that kinda depends. since its my tank I can hear it mocking me. You suck. You suck. You suck.

most of the time I can tune it out. but its still there, in the back ground.

you know the best part about having a large shrimp in the tank, is that sudden shock every time it molts. as you notice the old antenna whipping around like windsocks in the flow from the vortech.

stupid freick n frackin peeka ahhhhhhh!!!

NOT FUNNY!!! freaks me out, like once a month or so. was funny the first couple times, but I'm over it.

• 2 weeks later...
IMG_1159.jpg

My RBTA.... unfortunately my clowns wont host it!

Okay so this pic's done me in. I gotta get a rbt. can't afford for a while. But Damn.

Okay so this pic's done me in. I gotta get a rbt. can't afford for a while. But Damn.

I know what you mean, I keep looking at them but I know it would not be right in my tank. I think someone just had one here that split and they were selling, dont know if they were shipping.

Also u took my quote out of your sig. I laughed everytime I read one of your posts!!

LOL I was cleaning it up the other night & some how cut it. hadn't been able to remember which thread it was from. but Yeah its that one. Mmm... good times.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm setting up the 75. Instead of running both the 75 & 29.

As of now this is what I'm thinking. Its dependent on the glass I have a line on. Wahoo!!! for free glass!!!

75exo.png

phi delt reefer

Bitts;

how deep is that notch? 1 inch? I ask because i designed my tank with a notch depth of 1.5cm (about 5/8") deep and i think it was huge mistake. I am having my tank builder see if he can deepen the notch somehow.

tank1.jpg

initally i wanted the shallow notch so the water level in the tank would high because i dont like the look of water being like 2" from the rim of the tank. With that said I am using an Eheim 1250 return pump which does about 317gph at 0 head. Pump has a 1/2" outlet that will be split into two 3/4" returns with about 3-4 feet of vertical travel.

• Do you think I would be fine with the notch the way it is
  • or use a gate valve on the Eheim to reduce the flow
  • OR do you think that notch is just not going to work and I MUST have it deepened?

the tank is only going to hold about 40 gallons of water. I am okay with like 2-4x overall turnover and making up for that with a MP10es running at 1200-1500gph in the display. I will run Chaeto in the sump but its mostly as a home for pods - I am going to run carbon and pellets (possibly gfo) to manage the water quality.

Heres a pic of the tank design and overflow box design. Using a beananimal overflow.

vincetankfinalleftside2-1.jpg

vincetankfinaloverflowsetup.jpg

green holes are for 3/4" bulkheads, red is for a 1" bulkhead.

thanks in advance :)

No worry's mate. The notch looks finr the only thing that may be limited by it, is the size of wave you can push with the mp10. as long as to overflow rim is the same height as the tanks leave it as is. The 1 inch depth on mine is due to the black trim being like 1 3/4".

phi delt reefer
No worry's mate. The notch looks finr the only thing that may be limited by it, is the size of wave you can push with the mp10. as long as to overflow rim is the same height as the tanks leave it as is. The 1 inch depth on mine is due to the black trim being like 1 3/4".

what do you think is the max gph that notch can handle?

assuming the weir is 13 1/2"

with a 1/16 an inch flowing above/over the weir, maybe 100gph ish.

with a 1/8 of an inch flowing above/over the weir maybe 300gph ish.

sorry max flow. high enough to handle most anything you will get out of the pump.

phi delt reefer
assuming the weir is 13 1/2"

with a 1/16 an inch flowing above/over the weir, maybe 100gph ish.

with a 1/8 of an inch flowing above/over the weir maybe 300gph ish.

sorry max flow. high enough to handle most anything you will get out of the pump.

PERFECT! Thanks Bitts - you're the bomb diggitty bro!

Archived