SaltCritters.com

JP's Standard Issue Tank thread

bitts

Oh one thing I've been meaning to point out, is to mind the advice you are being given. Much of it is very good, such as that from Henry & Weetie, but there is some which is blatantly wrong. Or at least only based on regurgitated forum babble. I know its hard to know which advice to listen to, since every one seems so adamant about what there saying. The best advice I can give here would be to listen to the guys who have been at this a while & admit that there a ton of different ways to do it. Then give you a couple. Not one way is best, well maybe the one that works for you. What matters is the understanding behind the statements. Experience is great & all, but only if they've been doing it the right way. Look for the reasoning behind there believes & see how much of it is based on science vs what the last generation of noobs told them. Its just theres a bunch of guys it seems lately running around acting like experts. Since they've managed to keep the water from falling out of their tanks for 6 months & their all giving you advice.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always used to tell people to go look at the tank thread of someone giving you advice and see how healthy it is and how long it's been up.

Also, thanks for the compliment. :)

Yeah sorry about that, still funny as hell. But there's a point in it to. There needs to be more than just fish. I get that it might be harder for you to go let say climbing. But there need to be other aspects of life. Like I know theres programing & stuff, but see if you can find say 3 other things to make it 5 aspects. I know it seems an arbitrary number but its based on kung fu,taichi, chinese medicine. I'll bet there aspects I'm thinking of, that are already covered. But just in case. I thought I'd bring it up. Don't worry you get an entire life time to bring them into Balance.

Wow sorry about the philosophical soap box, so early in the morning. Just ignore my babbling.

Good advice.

I am 39 and I am still finding that Balance (in all things) is both extremely important and extremely difficult to achieve.

I agree that it's very, very important to seek it though.

That's been a huge one of my life lessons over the last 3 yrs or so.

Aw gee..............I am so embarrassed....but seriously taking the word of anyone on the interwebz is like playing Russian roulette. Yeah some of us have a fair amount of experience in running our tanks the way we do but nothing will do you more good than researching outside the forums. There is exhaustive data available behind the science and the husbandry issues with this hobby.

Thanks for stopping in guys, & hey, complements should be given to those who have earned them.

Bitts,

Just watched those videos a few pages back and you have some awesome fish.

What's that red/orange wrasse looking fish? Are those helfreichs? Beautiful, either way.

What sort of overflow is going on in there?

Internal calflo type thing?

Hey there Dustin, how you doing.

For fish: It was a pair of Clowns, pair of Helfrich's, & a McCosker flasher Wrasse.

Since filming. The wrasse was attacked & killed by the coral banded killer. Who is now gone. Was moved to the sump & then disappeared. Both of which the Helfrichs seem to be happy about.

Then the overflow is an exo calfo 2/3 coast to coast.

Hey, Unlike most of the tween"ish" parasites floating around, regurgitating the forum babble, spouted by the previous incarnations. you've earned it. You never asked to be spoon feed information, you listened, & you where able to synthesize your own knowledge from the info that was provided. I'm sure at this point every one can tell I like pretty much every one else is basically over a couple of them. So the ones like yourself that can actually do this make for a rare & enjoyable experience. Which is how many of us find the ability to still over look the others, such as the ones feeding MD such incredibly horrible information. Or the ones starting threads about how unfair it is the the where told to search before asking a question.

So no worry's mate.

Hey, Unlike most of the tween"ish" parasites floating around, regurgitating the forum babble, spouted by the previous incarnations. you've earned it. You never asked to be spoon feed information, you listened, & you where able to synthesize your own knowledge from the info that was provided. I'm sure at this point every one can tell I like pretty much every one else is basically over a couple of them. So the ones like yourself that can actually do this make for a rare & enjoyable experience. Which is how many of us find the ability to still over look the others, such as the ones feeding MD such incredibly horrible information. Or the ones starting threads about how unfair it is the the where told to search before asking a question.

So no worry's mate.

yeah...Im a tweenish parasite but I;m trying to get better you gotta give me that...

Actually wasn't aimed at you. You may have a long road ahead of you but your on it & making progress.

Actually wasn't aimed at you. You may have a long road ahead of you but your on it & making progress.

oh ok then thanks

Just wondering...ther is a new thread in the Members Section for an ADA 60-F....she wanted to drill the tank but I stopped her and made her think about this:

Ok, so I have an idea for your overflow issue....can you have an overflow w/o having to drill? IMT, yes...I dont know if this is correct but just something to think about. What is you get a custom made overflow, clear acrylic to blend in with the tank, and glue it to the corner of your tank. Then have some tubing or lily pipes atached inside of the overflow...or you know what would work even better...and acrilyc pipe or something sof that sort. You have the acrylic pipe in the overflow and when the pipe ends you have some sort of container with a strong pump sucking water from the overflow chamber. Kind of like how the AC filters work. You know? then in that contaner you have a drain to your sump then you have a return pump with lily pipes. Does that make any since? Can you visuleize it? I think it could work. I thought of this because the thought of drilling as beautiful tank as that is just horifing. Tell me what you think.... MD

Two things.

look up hd's ada thread & google mame overflow

beyond that google continuous siphon overflow.

I agree.

Two things.

look up hd's ada thread & google mame overflow

beyond that google continuous siphon overflow.

Ohhhh so its already been done before? Man I feel stupid....

Ah... Young grasshopper. Every thing has been done before. Remember that the requirement for a PhD is to come up with something new, & fish are just not that complicated.

Ah... Young grasshopper. Every thing has been done before. Remember that the requirement for a PhD is to come up with something new, & fish are just not that complicated.

yeah I got ya...new huh....hmmmm

Its why everyone keeps going on about needing to research.

true...I knew about the Mame but she didnt want to spend that much money so I gave her another idea

Theres 3 main things that come from the "its all been done before" issue.

1) If you want to know something or need to be able to do something, your going to be able to find the info.

2) Because of this. If you ask someone when you could just do the research its viewed as disrespectful.

3) Posting in response to questions that have been asked without having fully researched the topic yourself. Is disrespectful to all. The person who asked in that since they searched & where unable to find an answer they already have a greater amount of knowledge than you do. Then to the other members of the forum, since when they search. The information that you are providing becomes part of the collective knowledge base. But without a solid bases in scientific fact, It simply adds to the amount of useless misinformation present on the net.

This would be the forum babble that I've brought up before. Where your standard issue 15 year old reads one post. Then goes out & answers/posts on this topic 20 times in the next week. Despite the fact that they only read one post on the subject & have no knowledge as to why this is the answer.

Now as for you MD this would be why I gave up posting in you thread. 2/3 of the information being provided is of this nature, yet those providing it are adamant that their right because thats what they where told. But it is also why everyone looks to the rate at which you post & cringes. Since most see this as making it impossible for you to help, but to at times provide information which is flawed. Regardless of the topics you've posted on or the validity of your statements. until the others see that you have done the research for your self. There will be a level of dismissiveness to most anything you post, by many.

I would only add to this not only your research but your experience. Because through your experience others may glean a different way of accomplishing a task.

Archived