Innovative Marine Aquariums

JP's Standard Issue Tank thread

bitts

animalmaster6

Oh I see, thanks!

Besides basic stocking limits, just think about itm proportionally. For example, you might be able to do a Yellow Tang in a 55gallon (i wouldn't) but would it look aesthetically pleasing? No.

I'll check out your thread.

I really love wrasses and bangaii's, I'm thinking I want a Mystery, I definitely don't want a 6 line.

They are mean, if not meaner than a 6 Line. They also get big and are not reef-safe towards fish and crabs.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A fish list is a hard thing to come up with especially based around a helfrick's. I already have my rock dwelling idiot purchase, the bluefin damsel (Neoglyphidodon melas) and I'm not really sure how he is going to get along with anything else that I really want to keep. I'd really love to have a Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) but they need a deep sand bed because they burrow at night and they are a 5-6" adult which is not really my sized tank material. Maybe I'll just get a baby and use him as an excuse to do a custom rimless 40br in 2 years :D.

I do want to keep a Helfricks at some point. I think a fish list based around a helfrick's is limited to blennidae and other small members of gobiidae.

This is the list I would make based around a pair of Helfrick's just off the top of my head.

2x Helfricks

1x Target Mandarin

1x Dracula Goby w/ shrimp or a Tailspot Blenny instead.

1x Ocellaris or other maybe a chromis to have something active high in the water column

That's a pretty big fish load, but that's why I bought a nice skimmer :)

OOOoooo

Helfricks

Tailspot

Pair of Bangaii Cardinals

Dracula or Randals w/Shrimp

mmm...

kinda like the the first one but a single helfrick or one will kill the other. so you could do a pair of clowns.

animalmaster6

I bet ya didn't know Chingchai had a Helfrich ;)

You must be aware of his tank? If you don't I'll pile up some links and videos. It's one of my favorite tanks from around the world.

I just found out that Leonardo had a site the other day. Cool stuff! I also love the Reef in the Sky. It was set up perfectly.

dd has a really nice lookin orange stripe prawn goby.

Yeah I saw it too. Fantastic fish.

yeah. I may have to add another fish to the list of things I like.

hey any thoughts on a guideline as to weather a fish is in proportion to the tank.

animalmaster6
yeah. I may have to add another fish to the list of things I like.

hey any thoughts on a guideline as to weather a fish is in proportion to the tank.

Did you look at my Chingchi link?

Not really any guideline. Just picture how the fish would look full grown in your tank. Basicly, if you wanted in a 7" fish picture a 7" block swimming around in your tanks dimensions, for me, 72x18x24.

just thinkin about how to convert it to salt. at this point I'd have to say that instead of single rocks. that you would use seven out cropping's that were purpose built before hand.

animalmaster6
just thinkin about how to convert it to salt. at this point I'd have to say that instead of single rocks. that you would use seven out cropping's that were purpose built before hand.

Yeah that sounds how to do it. Or just use a hammer and break up the rocks :P

where as the zeovit setup is is mostly a filtration system. i'm beginning to consider the bonsai setup as either simply the technique used to aquascape or assemble the rock work, in its most basic form. to perhaps including the placement & maintenance of the coral in a broader more encompassing form. one that move's away from the standard fruit stand style rock wall, to a much more artistic form.

yeah. I'm still amazed that he has no rock in it. that one & Jakes are the ones that got me thinkin that it doesn't matter how much rock is used just scape it to meet the needs of the tanks aesthetics & livestock.

Archived