Pod Your Reef

JP's Standard Issue Tank thread

bitts

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so guess who finally decided to grace us with their presence.

the helfrick, has a couple spots/discoloration but seems good overall.

hey pyro.

what do you think your fish list would be.

for giggles I want to see what every body comes up with if the list is based around a helfrick or something. doesn't really matter what, just want to see your methodalogy.

do you guys factor in things like the aggressiveness of one fish mitigating that of the others. so on...

so as always I've got fish peculating on the back of my brain. which leads me to ask my dad what he thinks about the fish & tanks in general. like if he where setting it up, what would be the most important things. now the reason this matters is he hates the fish. he's the guy they set tanks up in the doctors office for, there great for ten minuets.

so what I got out of him was aesthetics, maintenance, reliability/safety. as for aesthetics. vivid & vibrant colors. properly sized fish, so they can been seen from across the room. while still being in proportion to the tank. of coarse he thinks that there should be zero maintenance. then as to reliability if the floors going to get wet or the fish die then what was the point. throw the dam thing out. of coarse none of that is how he put it. but eeh.

ok so what am I taking from this. well I've had this thought swirling around the top of my spine for a while. that a tank should be perceived as a whole while maintaining proportion among elements. there should be a sense of incompleteness combined with an certain asymmetry, to create the whole. its transcendental nature should never over shadow its simplicity. but while certain of that. there also seems a need to include, its inherent cycle, allowing it to be viewed as a single living entity.

I wonder if my dad knew he was saying that. mmm...

anyway... I'll eventually get the thought to congeal. then see how it works to base a tank off of.

A fish list is a hard thing to come up with especially based around a helfrick's. I already have my rock dwelling idiot purchase, the bluefin damsel (Neoglyphidodon melas) and I'm not really sure how he is going to get along with anything else that I really want to keep. I'd really love to have a Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) but they need a deep sand bed because they burrow at night and they are a 5-6" adult which is not really my sized tank material. Maybe I'll just get a baby and use him as an excuse to do a custom rimless 40br in 2 years :D.

I do want to keep a Helfricks at some point. I think a fish list based around a helfrick's is limited to blennidae and other small members of gobiidae.

This is the list I would make based around a pair of Helfrick's just off the top of my head.

2x Helfricks

1x Target Mandarin

1x Dracula Goby w/ shrimp or a Tailspot Blenny instead.

1x Ocellaris or other maybe a chromis to have something active high in the water column

That's a pretty big fish load, but that's why I bought a nice skimmer :)

animalmaster6

For tanks with good filtration I would do this:

20H

- Helfrich

- Yellow Lined Shrimp Goby (or any other smaller shrimp goby)

- Yellow Assessor

- Barnacle Blenny

- Helfrich

- 3 Orange-lined Cardinalfish

- Hi Fin Red Banded Shrimp Goby

- Red Head Goby (or any other goby 1-2")

am its what ever you can come up with based around a given fish. I'm saying helfrick, because its the most difficult one I know to do this with. the important part is figuring out the methodology used to build the list.

goes back to that methodology I'm working on.

see if you can build it all the way to a tang & like sized fish.

animalmaster6
For tanks with good filtration I would do this:

20H

- Helfrich

- Yellow Lined Shrimp Goby (or any other smaller shrimp goby)

- Yellow Assessor

- Barnacle Blenny

- Helfrich

- 3 Orange-lined Cardinalfish

- Hi Fin Red Banded Shrimp Goby

- Red Head Goby (or any other goby 1-2")

am its what ever you can come up with based around a given fish. I'm saying helfrick, because its the most difficult one I know to do this with. the important part is figuring out the methodology used to build the list.

goes back to that methodology I'm working on.

see if you can build it all the way to a tang & like sized fish.

I could make a fish list for you if you give me some more things you want. Like open schooling fish, bottom dwellers, both.

What do you mean by "see if you can build it all the way to a tang & like sized fish."

ok so a helfrick is well screwed. since it looks like a red devil lure & gets its tail kicked by snails. but if its in the right environment will swim all the way to the surface. so can you come up with a list that promotes the fishies natural behavior with out doing small docile fish.

animalmaster6

This is tough but give me a day and I'll come up with something.

Is this for your 75? I know you know to not put large fish in nanos.

like when I had the clowns, blue spot, & helfrick. life was great. the mccosker took months to be ok since the clowns had to figure out that it was all show with much less go. now the clowns keep the peace. well for the most part. but if it were the clowns, blue spot, mccosker, & helfrick. I'm betting the extra fish would actualy balance things out more. but so would a larger tank.

or your 125, a 90, what ever. the interesting part is the logic behind each choice.

pick a tank & stock it.

oh & yeah this is to eventual stock the 75.

not building the list trying to determine how to best build the list.

see if the one we come up with works or needs revised.

animalmaster6

- Helfrich

- 3 Yellow Assessor

- 10 Longspine Cardinalfish

- Blue Spotted Jawfish

- Convict Tang

- Mimic Eibli Tang

- Orchid Dottyback

- Filamented Flasher Wrasse

- Tricolor Fairy Wrasse

All peaceful fishes. A tank with all these will have larger fishes that you can see from far away, are peaceful, are interesting, and are easy to care for.

Creating a tank with one in a large tank can be challenging but done, all those fish are larger but extremely peaceful.

oh & yeah this is to eventual stock the 75.

not building the list trying to determine how to best build the list.

see if the one we come up with works or needs revised.

You could use that list ^^ just make it smaller.

see fun.

where I'm stuck is determining the criteria to judge if the fish is in proportion to the tank & other fish. regardless of the fishes needs, just the size of the fish.

see fun.

where I'm stuck is determining the criteria to judge if the fish i in proportion to the tank.

He means that just because you could technically keep an Emperor Angel in a 100gal, doesn't mean that its proportional to the tank size.

And AM, I made 2 lists for my tank in here earlier, check out the 20H thread and let me know what you think. I am going to stop by the LFS tonight on the way home I need some kalk and some AOG's.

I really love wrasses and bangaii's, I'm thinking I want a Mystery, I definitely don't want a 6 line.

Archived