Innovative Marine Aquariums

JP's Standard Issue Tank thread

bitts

Yeah its like 14ish heads of frog spawn

Maybe 10ish heads of hammer

With another 10ish of the torch

Now if I could just get them to size up like their supose to.

Its kinda hard to get an accurate count with them splitting. I've low balled it but still feel like I'm not being honest. For example If I count mouths for the frog its like 20 but stocks would be like 12.

Now the big Problem is that the torch is about to give up the ghost I'm afraid. Not sure what's going on waters fine. Just keeps shrinking. the polyps are not extending like they where. Its started bleaching back out after I had finally had it coloring up to a nice pink. I've turned to flow down as far as I can. But its even stop eating. I should have sent maria a frag instead of trying to get it to color back up.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww :(

well I still will frag u the blue trumpets when I frag again...I have had a very large torch just melt away and a frogspawn loose heads for no reason...LPS can be weird at times...I just lost 3 heads of acans for no apparent reason, I noticed when it was too late...my down fall for having so many corals I guess :unsure:

thanks for looking in maria. Thing is that though there all from the same colony they have been fraged. Which makes me think there must be something more going on. I'm thinking that I may start doing daily water changes of about a quart just in case I got some thing in the water. Have previously done this with good results. May have just been to much flow. I do have a tendency towards it. Or the switch to the t5's may have taken a toll. Yeah could be any number of things. Will do water changes & see. Think that as soon as there to a point I think they can ship I'll be sending frags out. Only thing on the up side is I've fraged it in the past & may be able to get a head back. Hopefully.

partiality its what i could do in the 10. but yeah of any thing not sps theres not much i like. leaving me with frog, torch, & hammer. which is bleeping awesome when its nice with full polyp extension. I just never get the polyp thing. theres plenty of growth despite the extension issue's, beleave it or not. what ive got in the tank curently came from three frags. hammer was 2 heads, frog was 3, torch was 1. stuff grows like a weed when the waters right. you should have seen the 10 when i had 25-30 heads with 3-4 inch polyp extension, 2 clams & some blue sps. then the tank crashes :rant:

still my problem has always been to much flow, which is i think slowly killing it off.

not really. thinking about talking out changing the lights up a little. could some egg crate on the lid.

really the problem is flow. since i have the light cycle set to just meet the photo cycle without going over. use to have the lps close up 2/3 through the day side of the cycle.

lighting is simple. find the max par/need par (same thing), then meet it for 6 hours. which is why you can do a double light cycle. if the max par/needed par is not met than the cycle needs to belonger to met the corals needs.

Well it seems that I'm that guy.

I started out to just try & adjust the vortech to see about quieting it down. Then it moved to the other end of the tank. At which point the fish start chanting more flow, more flow, more flow.

Well needless to say it must be hurricane season. The snails are having a hard time staying on the glass. The fish are looking for some where to hide. But the torch is opening up. We'll have to see what happens but I'm thinkin survival of the fittest.

Really I needed to do some thing to make the wrass calm down he was either going to stress the helfick into a heart atack your get the clowns to tear him apart. The torch is in the middle of an eddie so as to not be getting as much of the flow. Still a lot but they should all be ok. At least for as long as the "storm" lasts.

But yeah pump is wide open & vortech is at max so its pushing things a little. Over all things are doing ok. Still makes me giigle that torch opened up a little.

Had too to create the eddie around the torch. It actually dropped the flow rate around the torch close to none. :)

But figured out a more permanent solution. One of the problems has been the the bottom of the tank it a high flow zone to keep he sand clean. Solution stuck it in a glass. Which is giving it just about the same flow as the eddie reducing the light levels. :)

Hey guys quick question.

Will the mccosker continue to become agresive because that's normal. Aka would it be less agresive in the 75 or would it be the same. Becoming more over time.

Soon I will either have to move the helfrick or the mccosker. Even the clowns are keeping their distance.

Oh & here the current funny wasabi has started to atack things when they enter the tank. Well not every thing. Mostly just my hands.

The wrasse will calm down with more room to swim :)

the euphillia like moderate flow..I have never had a hammer, frogspawn or torch that liked being blasted with flow. Some do well in high light but for that you have to acclimate them to high light or they will bleach, most like moderate light.

animalmaster6

That GBD video is awesome!!!

I'm having tons of trouble with how to make my extremely simple yet extremely complex rockscape. I'm using the length and height together so it's very tough.

I'm also using LIVE rock and no dry rock so it's going to be 10x harder lol <_<

Hi maria

Thank for the info on the wrasse. As to flow. Normally I have it at about 2-3 dots on the vortech in a wave mode (if I leave it in contant flow mode. there's to much flow period) & the return pump set back about as much as I can or there ends up being induction zones that blast things from the top. But by turning the pumps up & incressing the flowrate of the gyre around the coral. The indution can be countered. As well as reducing the flowrate within the center of the gyre.

Most of the corals are in this layer of low flow. Problem is that its about half way up incressing the light levels. I had moved the torch down to the sand bed & this helped to color it back up. But being in the higher flow rate of the gyre was more than it could take. Losing most of the polyp extension & then bleaching back out.

After noticing how qiuckly it responded to the lower flow each time I fiddled with the pumps I just keept going. :lol:

I haven't been able to create a sutable low flow zone though with the pumps lower in the tank, which is why its stuck sitting in the glass. I'm hoping that the glass will also absorb some of the light.

If need be I'll put a sticky note or two on the lid to help shade it Next.

Don't supose there much else I can do beyond setting up another tank. When I get the fuge set up I may be able to place it in there. But that will require my not cracking the glass. :rant: I've managed to brake the last peace sevrial time now. :(

AM

I'm still liking the idea of building the skelition from egg creat & pvc. Then coating it with cocrete. But the planted tank based scape was great. Wonder though about the diffrent depths of sand.

Yeah but were gonna steal from every source we can so it looks exactly the way its supose to. ;)

Archived