ReefCleaners.org

JP's Standard Issue Tank thread

bitts

It still helped, AM. Thanks.

Ok so lately been doing some thinkin. Mostly about end goals. Like a powder blue tang. I picked up a 40 breeder to use as a sump for the 75 unless I go with some thing bigger. But I doubt it at this point. Can't imagine moving anything bigger than a 75. So yes I'm thinking of putting a tang in a 75 shoot me. There would actually be 2. Anyway. This would have me running two tanks. Now the tangs would I think be better off in a high flow sps, sponge & clam tank but I could be wrong. But so if the 75 is my sps tank what should the 29 be. I'll run macro's in a display fuge on both so a third wouldn't be needed. I strongly believe that a tank is better off with clams in it. So that will be a planing goal for both. But I had been plnning to keep a mandarin in the 29. This was actually one of the main design goal for the tank. The other being to prevent fish jumping & why the overflow is set up the way it is. Not sure if thats irony or just me feeling stupid but ehh. Anyway. With a 75 I may skip the mandy in the 29. Probably depend on wether the 75 is bb. On the coral side of thing & being limited to one tank the 29 was going to be an sps/lps tank & it still could but I was also thinking that it coud be an lps/anemone tank. But even that seems risky, always thought that nems should have there own tank. So maby I'll add nems to the display fuge. Making one a shrimp invert tank. So at this point the only thing I'm sure to keep in the 29 is my torch, candy cane & maybe a head of the others long term. Not making any rash desions here just thinking out loud. Maybe bouncing ideas around for a while. Will be exparamenting with things on the 29 preping for the 75. Like vodka. Think I've given up on the sulfer reactor. After talking with my friend about how thay may saturate the water witha type of calciume that is not useable for the corals. Prventing the addition of normal calc with out having a chemistry nightmare. I already have enough trouble with it that. I'm going to stick to the vodka & be done. Well for now. Pertty sure that the rs80 would be under powerd for what I'm wanting on the 75 so it may stay on the 29. Not sure.

Anyway any thoughts as to what to do with the 29.

Stocking will still be

Clowns (have)

Helfrick (have)

Bluespot (yeah I'm going to at some point)

Maybe's at this point

Mandarin

Mccosker

Lemonpeel

Greenbanded

The 75 would be (yeah can't have em all)

Powder blue

Yellow

Drsjardini

Red saddled anthais

Yasha hashe

Helfrick

Golden dwarf moray (would limit stocking)

Mccosker

Mystery (I think there reef safe)

Bluespot

Copperbanded butterfly

red banded Highfin

Mini dart & or red spots

Candy hogfish (since a candy bass is well)

Masked goby

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6
Anyway any thoughts as to what to do with the 29.

Clowns (have) Sounds Good

Helfrick (have) Yep

Bluespot (yeah I'm going to at some point) Good

Mandarin Yes

Mccosker Can be one of the more aggressive wrasses. Skip it.

Lemonpeel These usually aren't reef safe. Skip it.

Greenbanded Yes

So the Clowns, Helfrich, Bluespot, Mandarin, and Greenbanded sounds like a good list. I like the idea of an LPS/SPS tank with exotic inverts for the 29. Or maybe just LPS or just SPS. I wouldn't recommend anemones. They would eat a lot of your livestock.

The 75 would be (yeah can't have em all)

Powder blue Okay

Yellow Would only go with one tang.

Drsjardini No too big

Red saddled anthais Good

Yasha hashe Love them

Helfrick Awesome

Golden dwarf moray (would limit stocking) If you go this direction everything changes

Mccosker Cool

Mystery (I think there reef safe) No. Not reef safe

Bluespot Sure

Copperbanded butterfly Meh, try it if you would like. Some are not reef safe but some are.

red banded Highfin Nope. Only one shrimp goby. Either the Yasha or the Hi Fin

Mini dart & or red spots Very very very very hard to keep alive. WOuldn't recommend them.

Candy hogfish (since a candy bass is well) Eat shrimp

Masked goby Love them

I like the idea of having the fish I mentioned in a high flow SPS tank with some LPS and zoas and rics.

:happy:

Clowns

Helfrick

blue spot

Green banded

Mandarin

(moving to a maybe are)

Mccosker

Lemon peel

Was thinking about the lemon cause it can't go in to the sps tank. While the tank could really use some yellow. Still I need something that will spend most of its time in the upper half of the water column.

I like the idea of an LPS/SPS tank with exotic inverts for the 29.

The blue spot limits this to some degree.

But lps/sps with blue linkia, basket star, 3 croca clams, blueberry gorg, shrimp (think bongo shrimp's collection only star safe), yellow & pink cucumbers, plus anything else we can find.

The 75

Powder blue

Yellow

Red saddled anthais

Clowns (Picasso or yellow barred maroon)

Yasha hashe

Helfrick

Mccosker

Blue spot

Copper banded

Comes out to around 14 fish. Seems like a lot. Mmm...

High flow SPS tank with some LPS and rics.

Still have to figure out how to include gdm & a lemon peel. But ehh.

animalmaster6

Perfect! No Yellow Tang though, that would be too much unless you have pretty good filtration.

For the 29 the too extras added would be way too much.

Ah AM. You don't trust my filtration, that hurts. Filtration will be skimmer plus 40 gallon disple fuge on the 75. While th 29 will most likely be a 16 gallon display fuge with either the rs80 or my old remora as the skimmer. I've always dreamed of having like a 5 - 6 ft tall skimmer standing besides the tank. Just bubbling away. When I find it. The rs80 goes back on the 29. Just haven't figured out how to do a. Display with on the 29 yet.

Speaking of things. I'm finding that lower flow through the overflow while relying on the vortech for the diplay is making the corals happyer. Biulding the new fuge to run a QO1200 & may even tweak it with a ball valve. Lol

It seems that with our tanks being relatively small high uniform flow is easy to achieve. Since all I have is lps there down right bleeped at me most of the time. Due to how much flow I like to biuld into me setups (I don't mean to it just happens). Working on having multiple zones of flow.

If its the wrong type of high intensity flow it can harm them. Think sand blaster, fire hose, or cutting marble. Its like the corals skin is worn away in places. Just have the return lines pointed at the surface instead of the directly at the coral. It will be fine.

ok so after much debate & contemplation. I think that running the remora with the display fuge will be the best method of filtration, for the 29. The other option would be to run a normal sump with the rs80. My reasoning for this is the difference of footprint size for the fuge. Using the remora/display bumps the fuge to 270 square inches from 180. The remora is obviously not as powerful a skimmer as the euroreef but the larger footprint should make up for the skimmers limitations. Through increased micofauna production, nnr & biologic up take. The increase to total system volume will be about 5 gallons bring it to about 35. Which is I'm expecting to be in the remora's capabilities.

Now the only thing that's still making me nervous. Is that I plan to dose vodka & I'm not sure if the remoras up to it.

Oh & AM, give it a couple years. You'll pick it up. Just keep asking questions. Avoid the forum parrots And google the #### out of everything yourself. In order to figure it out well enough to answer questions. That's when you actualy learn things. Aparently I need to spend time anwsering questions in the fish forum.

Well I'm off to drill the 20 & cut some glass. Hoping that I can cut the glass this time. Last time was just sad.

Oh & I found a shop that will bring in a morish idle. Then hold it in qt for 6 months while they make sure (teach) it eats. Cost 130 - 150. Big tank here I come. Shame he wouldn't work in the 75.

The 20's drilled. Thought my dad to do it, which is increadably funny. but only to those that can invision the geek being aloud to play with power tools. Siriously we don't let him have hand tools. Its that bad. Tank is drying but may be a while to silicone the baffles. Hopefully there will be time soon.

Archived