ReefCleaners.org

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Put the tile back and be patient.

How would you feel if someone changed your favorite freak spot on you overnight without your approval

Nothing in breeding happens quickly

haha! freak spot. funny.

anyone deal with popeye in a fish and have it survive? my large saddle female decided to hop into my overflow and hang there for a night or so. now her eyes are clowdy and has popeye in both.

so i pulled her and put in a qt tank and started maracyn.

what are my chances she will pull thru? my latz had popeye but it wasnt cloudy and she pulled thru very fast and she is healthy. the saddle female, her eyes are still cloudy.

Question for the masses.

what does everyone think about the possibly of a the snow onyx or other offspring of cross breeding being sterile? i was thinking about adding a snow onyx to my broodstock and wondering if they could be sterile from cross breeding. any ideas??

Question for the masses.

what does everyone think about the possibly of a the snow onyx or other offspring of cross breeding being sterile? i was thinking about adding a snow onyx to my broodstock and wondering if they could be sterile from cross breeding. any ideas??

i got one with a darwin female breeding,,, cant wait to see the offspring,,but thats an interesting question!!

i got one with a darwin female breeding,,, cant wait to see the offspring,,but thats an interesting question!!

Occ and percs are so closely related that it's not a problem. They should be fine

Round three with my rots today - my package arrived from Reeds today and I have to say they are taking care of me. I got:

New Rotifers

A new liter of RotiGrowplus

and I got about a 24oz sample size bottle of their new RGComplete.

They only asked that I cover shipping and being so close to them their Fedex Ground gets to me overnight. So it cost me about $15 - (plus the hatches I had to miss - but we won't talk about that)

I'm stoked to try out the RotiGrowComplete which is basically rotigrowplus with ammonia control and pH buffering.

I'm keeping the old bottles of rotigrowplus that I have so that once I get these guys going I can split them off a couple times and do a little experiment with the old food to see if that was the culprit.

Anyhow, the rots should be at temp - so I'm going to cut them loose and see how this round goes.

Stay tuned kids.

lemmie know how your rots turn out. im going on my 3rd lost batch in a row. i cant keep them alive to save my life. wish i knew whats going on. i did start using filter floss like Eric @ Reeds told me to. it does make a difference. not sure why mine are always doing a steady decrease.

lemmie know how your rots turn out. im going on my 3rd lost batch in a row. i cant keep them alive to save my life. wish i knew whats going on. i did start using filter floss like Eric @ Reeds told me to. it does make a difference. not sure why mine are always doing a steady decrease.

Hey Eric.. what are you feeding them and when did you get the food?

ive never had a problem with my rotifers unless i forget to feed them. they sure do like to eat the roti grow plus. interested in seeing the buffered version results. i use the + in my fry tanks and have not had any issues but was wondering about the new versions of feed that are supposed to leave less oils on the top of the water

i was thinking of trying the chlor am x buffered. i know alot of people had a problem with the regular one. i have a bucket of it and never used it once because of the horror stories of bottoming the ph.

I started this batch of rots on the buffered version but I think I'm going to save it for feeding in the larvae tanks. It's very clean, thinner and not as greasy as the grow+ and the rots have responded very to it so far. I've split my rots and they are back to the numbers that I remember prior to the problems I was having.

I started this batch of rots on the buffered version but I think I'm going to save it for feeding in the larvae tanks. It's very clean, thinner and not as greasy as the grow+ and the rots have responded very to it so far. I've split my rots and they are back to the numbers that I remember prior to the problems I was having.

So then it must have been a bad batch of feed

So then it must have been a bad batch of feed

It's the only other variable - Eric at Reeds stated that the batch might of been fine but the bag may have been contaminated. I kept the old stuff at Eric's request and I'll start a third batch of rots in a week or two and use the old feed on them to see if the rots was the problem.

it might be the food. cause it happend when i switched to rotigrow+ my buddy Brian (usmarinecoral), who is breeding near me is having the same trouble and he got the food the same time i did.

i did bring my rots back from the brink though. biut it has to be the food. it never lasts as long as the nanno i had before.

maybe i'll call Eric @ Reeds and talk to him about it. i did start using the floss and it seems to help alot to keep the buckets clean. but my numbers are very low and dont seem to be like they were since i switched to rotigrow+ from nano.

i put them under a microscope and they are looking fine and fat, but something seems off.

Alpha Aquaculture
haha! freak spot. funny.

anyone deal with popeye in a fish and have it survive? my large saddle female decided to hop into my overflow and hang there for a night or so. now her eyes are clowdy and has popeye in both.

so i pulled her and put in a qt tank and started maracyn.

what are my chances she will pull thru? my latz had popeye but it wasnt cloudy and she pulled thru very fast and she is healthy. the saddle female, her eyes are still cloudy.

I had a clown that developed popeye from some stress. All I did was try and boost the immune system of the clown by extra feedings and clean water. It worked well and after one month the eye was totally fine again :) I'm becoming a firm believer in boosting the immune system over adding medications.

I had a clown that developed popeye from some stress. All I did was try and boost the immune system of the clown by extra feedings and clean water. It worked well and after one month the eye was totally fine again :) I'm becoming a firm believer in boosting the immune system over adding medications.

i am too. but she was digging alot in the sand and then her stomach was blocked and really puffed out. so i believe she had some infection. a local reefer i know is very very good with fish and diseases think she might have had a kidney infection. after 2 days she cleared right up. and she is eating like a pig now.

now if i can get her interested in the pot it would be a miracle. hehe

have a large saddle female now that hopped into my overflow and now she has both eye pop eye and a huge wound on her side from the bulkhead. she is blind now and keeps smashing herself off the top of the tank. i am gonna have to put her down. its a shame, she was over 4" and beautiful.

i tried to treat her with maracyn for the double popeye but she isnt responding after 6 days.

I said that this summer I was going to change my set up for my breeding pairs and well... summer turned into fall - but I've made some progress. I'm glad I did take it slow because it gave me the time to look at a few different systems and steal some of the ideas I liked from other people's set ups.

Anyhow, here is where I'm at:

The system will be made up of 4 20g longs with a 20g high and 40 breeder for sumps:

IMG_6551.jpg

I've offset the top shelf so that I can use 1 light to cover all the tanks. I have a 60" light that will cover it perfectly:

IMG_6552.jpg

The top two 20g longs are divided into 3 compartments each:

IMG_6556.jpg

The lower two are divided into 2 compartments each so the system can hold 10 pairs total:

IMG_6557.jpg

The sump will utilize two tanks - the 20g high which will house my LR and a filter sock and a 40g breeder which will house my skimmer and fuge - I'm also looking into adding a UV sterilizer to the mix. I've raised the 20g high so I can drill it and have it overflow into the 40g:

IMG_6558.jpg

I started collecting the tanks some time ago but just got serious about setting it up this month. So far so good!

Edited by Pickle010
US Marine Coral

That looks like a nice tank rack and a well thought out idea, especially the offset. I used to have 1 big system that held 20 pairs but a fellow reefer who had a similiar setup had a problem and lost all of his pairs. I did not want to even think that could happen to me, so I made some adjustments.

What I did was split my breeding pairs up into 2 seperate systems. You can use your same rack you built but I would make it a Left and a Right half and have 2 seperate sumps. God forbid something bad happens, then you wouldn't have all of your eggs(fish) in 1 basket. Just me 2 cents :D Good luck!

Cross contamination would lead to spread before you would know what to do anyway, I would leave it the way you have it. Personally I would not do a fuge on a system that size there are better ways to reduce nutrients unless you want to add a 100 gallon stock tank.

Edited by rrcg50
+1

Especially if you are feeding heavily

I was planning on both - I have the euro reef skimmer. I've just noticed that the tanks that I keep cheato in stay much cleaner. I figure it surely can't hurt.