Pod Your Reef

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Another good hatch last night... yes... it's good to be back in the flow!

Congrats man! I finally got my 2 idiots to start spawning again and Capt. Bastard ate the eggs. :angry::rant:

Congrats man! I finally got my 2 idiots to start spawning again and Capt. Bastard ate the eggs. :angry::rant:

Warning

Warning

Warning

Do not call your fish idiots!

Lots of people on this site will jump to the fish defense.

Lololololololololololololololololololo

PETA = people eating tasty animals

Inbreeding is wrong fish/people.

And yes some fish are stupid, idiots just like some people in this world!

Warning

Warning

Warning

And yes some fish are stupid, idiots just like some people in this world!

What are you talking about? :huh:

My pair has been eating the eggs by day 5 so I've been pulling the pot on day 4. I can get them to hatch with an air stone providing current - but three days out is about as far as I can go.

good job.

my rots died on day 4. i have no idea what i am doing wrong now. gonna try getting some from somewhere else.

If you changed out the food and rots then there has to be something you are introducing that's causing the problem. Something either in your water source or your buckets.

How are you cleaning your buckets?

FishEyeAquaculture
my rots died on day 4. i have no idea what i am doing wrong now. gonna try getting some from somewhere else.

Any chance you are over harvesting? If so, set up more buckets.

i bought 2 brand new buckets and just rinsed them out. then i added fresh aged saltwater to the bucket and then i added the rots and food 2 days later when they arrived.

i never got to harvest them cause they died out on day 3. day 2 was great. i added food both times that day cause the buckets went clear.

the ONLY thing i can think of is that i used the same heaters and tubing and airstone and floss. but the heater and airline i did spray in vinegar and wiped them off. they sat dry for a few days before i added them to the rots. and the filter floss all i did was wash it out with a hose and rinsed it in old tank water, then fresh rodi water.

i am dumbfounded.

Where are you getting your aged or old saltwater? If it's from a reef tank it's possible that you are introducing something that is either consuming or killing the rots.

Warning

Warning

Warning

And yes some fish are stupid, idiots just like some people in this world, especially me. My parents never gave me enough hugs and I lash out on people online. Come to think of it guys, I'm sorry. I feel bad for the error of my ways. This high desert heat has gotten to me over the years. My bad Pickle010, I :wub: U!

What a nice change of heart. Good for you bro!

Edited by Joe Dirt
i bought 2 brand new buckets and just rinsed them out. then i added fresh aged saltwater to the bucket and then i added the rots and food 2 days later when they arrived.

i never got to harvest them cause they died out on day 3. day 2 was great. i added food both times that day cause the buckets went clear.

the ONLY thing i can think of is that i used the same heaters and tubing and airstone and floss. but the heater and airline i did spray in vinegar and wiped them off. they sat dry for a few days before i added them to the rots. and the filter floss all i did was wash it out with a hose and rinsed it in old tank water, then fresh rodi water.

i am dumbfounded.

I wonder if the Floss isn't the issue. Seems like it would be the easiest way to contaminate the new rots with whatever was killing the old rots.

What a nice change of heart. Good for you bro!

LOL... Glad you let it go man. There is no point.

Where are you getting your aged or old saltwater? If it's from a reef tank it's possible that you are introducing something that is either consuming or killing the rots.

That's a possibility - I use new water for my rots - I don't trust the aged old water out of my systems. They say it's fine to do though.

How is the new batch coming along?

Good... I lost 4 of the first hatch moving them to grow out. I don't think I dripped them long enough but the other 200 or so are looking just fine. I didn't get as many snows as usually do though. The second hatch is hitting meta and starting to move onto OTO B. I can definitely see a lot more snows in that batch.

Chicagoclowns

Been awhile since iv been on here but in the meantime iv been busy. My perc /choc occ pair are now on a every 14 day lay cycle and the male doesnt eat them anymore and my darwins laid theyre first hatch and althrough scattered about 10 hatched out. I did pick up a onyx from petco thats good size and paired it with a semi picasso.

just a question for you experts.

im needing/thinking of ordering some new A/B/C food, and i see Reed has

Otohime® Marine Diet

or

TDO™ (Top–Dressed OTO)

i dont know enough about them...

which would you choose??

thanks

Chicagoclowns

ABC refers to te size of the food A being tiny thay fry can eat after day 3 after A for a few days you can introduce B and C is the largest so what are you feeding?

I think I got that all right

TDO is a high in astaxanthin formula which will affect the color of your fry and give them a deeper/ brighter orange. It's not permanent and their coloration will change again based on diet.

Reeds sent me a sample of it some time ago - I don't use the the stuff but if you where going to use TDO you'd be better off adding it to their diets much later in the process. Where you'll want to start off with the OTO as early as day 3 or 4.

Either way you'll want to get a couple of sizes and some people start out with a sampler pack to see what works for them.

I go from Rots to OTO A to B1 to crushed foods and frozen.

so, astaxanthin will effect the color of the fish?

is this like the "SA" clowns how they are more red-ornage then yellow-orange?

and after they grow, they will change back when they switch foods and no longer eat the astaxanthin enriched food?

(im new, and have hatched a few clutches of clowns (black/white)

Im needing to order some new rotifers, because i got lazy and lost the batches i had.

i also feed RotiGro+ (i have had mine for a little while in the freezer and no problems like some people with new batches..)

thanks for all the info Pickles!!

Yeah... it's more like a shot of carrots and will produce a brighter orange. If they keep that color depends on several factors but your best bet is starting off with good genetics. Then good water quality and diet will do the rest.

Right on... I'll let it slide for school, but don't think you haven't been missed around here.

I'm uploading some video right now. It's easier for me to video the little guys then it is to take shots of them.