Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Awesome

Cheers,

That's a good enough ballpark, thanks. It's not like you're filling the Rubbermaid tank every day or anything.

I'm not surprised that your tank is so popular. It's a really interesting design with lots of depth (so few tanks are nearly 3' deep), has lots of open/ negative space (which, as you pointed out, is really more natural and more like a real ecosystem), and you did a great job with the aquascaping. I think setups like yours are the future of reefing.

Indeed I agree, I see setups like this appearing more and more. But more importantly I just think it looks cool, ha. Thanks again.

Those acans are awesome!! I also love that Crocea Clam.

Get some more clams, I think they look awesome in your tank.

Indeed they do look pretty good. I have a ton of space for them. I think I will eventually buy a Maxima to have a variety but depends. I am in no rush. I'd really like to find a nice orange or yellow one ORA style.

The acans were super cheap I got each colony for 30$ on boxing day sales.

Very nice.. I would love to have some of your acans.

Ha thanks if I ever frag em you're first on the list. Although it's a bit of a hassle to ship from Canada if you're in the States.

That tank looks awesome. I shallow tanks.

Thanks dude. You never answered my camera question earlier.

Dang. Nice tank. That's all I got to say. :happy:

Ha thanks Bio-Reef. Glad to have you browsing here. Feel free to say more anytime.

Two things:

#1. Got some sweet frags today and two of the frags turned out to be colonies for the same price. So that was a good surprise! Pictures to come of these colonies and frags once they get settled in.

#2. Thread has cleared 30,000 views which is crazy. Thanks for following along everyone.

Tank looks awesome!! I am thinking about setting up a tank like this, they look so good!

Good call, if you need any advice let me know.

The shallow look really adds a unique dimension to a living room. People who come over are always commenting on how awesome it looks... then they ask me a question about upkeep or maintenance and immediately regret it when I start blabbing about organic carbon, self sustaining ecosystems, proper chemistry balance etc. taking it slow to begin etc. lol.

Thanks for checkin it out.

Edited by AJ_Tsin
Haha tooo funny! :D

Can't say it hasn't happened to me.

Yea it happens too much for me. I have a system in my office now too and I talk to even more people there. Gotta bite my tongue when it comes to details. Ha.

I didn't get a chance to take any shots of the new frags/colonies last night, so nothing big to report.

However it is noteworthy that I am finished the 2 week break-in period for the ZEOVit system and no real casualties as far as coral is concerned. For the past 14 days I have been running the Zeovit Reactor 3 hours on 3 hours off. Today I pulled out the timer and the reactor will run constantly. It is still at a slower rate of: 650ml of ZEOlite and 65 gph flow which will be upped in 4 more weeks when I preform the first ZEOlite change.

Also I am pleased to report that all Cyano is now receding and almost completely dead. It was on its way out anyways but I can definitely attribute the recent quick destruction to K-Z's Coral Snow product. Amazing results.

The system is finally approaching true ULNS status with even the Algea in the sump disappearing quickly.

I will be ordering K-Z Pohl's Xtra and Coral Vital and begin dosing at the beginning of next ZEOlite exchange.

I am really impressed with the performance of the ZEOVit Reactor. I was quite happy dosing only VSV and MB7 and I dont see much of a difference between the ZEOVit formula, however the Reactor is King. I would even suggest looking at pairing the K-Z ZEOLite or Brightwell's Zeolites in a Zeo reactor for those of you dosing Vodka and MB7 for a cheaper approach.

That is all.

- A.

Edited by AJ_Tsin
I didn't get a chance to take any shots of the new frags/colonies last night, so nothing big to report.

However it is noteworthy that I am finished the 2 week break-in period for the ZEOVit system and no real casualties as far as coral is concerned. For the past 14 days I have been running the Zeovit Reactor 3 hours on 3 hours off. Today I pulled out the timer and the reactor will run constantly. It is still at a slower rate of: 650ml of ZEOlite and 65 gph flow which will be upped in 4 more weeks when I preform the first ZEOlite change.

Also I am pleased to report that all Cyano is now receding and almost completely dead. It was on its way out anyways but I can definitely attribute the recent quick destruction to K-Z's Coral Snow product. Amazing results.

The system is finally approaching true ULNS status with even the Algea in the sump disappearing quickly.

I will be ordering K-Z Pohl's Xtra and Coral Vital and begin dosing at the beginning of next ZEOlite exchange.

I am really impressed with the performance of the ZEOVit Reactor. I was quite happy dosing only VSV and MB7 and I dont see much of a difference between the ZEOVit formula, however the Reactor is King. I would even suggest looking at pairing the K-Z ZEOLite or Brightwell's Zeolites in a Zeo reactor for those of you dosing Vodka and MB7 for a cheaper approach.

That is all.

- A.

I may give that a try. I was dosing just V with good results before my move and am planning on starting back up with VSV, and I was actually already giving thought to adding zeolites in a canister filter I have.

I may give that a try. I was dosing just V with good results before my move and am planning on starting back up with VSV, and I was actually already giving thought to adding zeolites in a canister filter I have.

Sounds good except its essential that you shake up the Zeolites almost daily and as far as I know thats impossible in a canister filter.

The things that make them so effective are:

#1: If they are clean they supposedly remove ammonia and nitrite even before it breaks down, but only if you keep them free of bacterial film/mulm.

#2: When you shake up the Zeolites all of the bacterial mulm that comes off them actually feeds the corals in the tank making feeding more constant while putting pressure on adding nutrients. It's amazing when you shake up the zeolites all of the LPS corals in the display actually open up and readily accept food even midday when the lights are in full glow.

I recommend doing it but I more importantly recommend investing in a Zeolith reactor of some kind.

Excerpt from Brightwells guide to their NEOZEO method. I'm probably going to use their products and already have an adjustable flow canister filter.

Some enthusiasts familiar with zeolite filtration may scoff, but our preferred method

for housing this media is simply to place it inside a large-capacity canister filter that

either has some pre-existing means of flow-rate adjustment or can be retrofitted with

a ball valve on the filter discharge (which practically any filter that utilizes flexible

tubing will accommodate). The water flow through the media is generally maintained

at a rate of <100 gph (378.5 lph), with a brief (e.g. 3 – 5 minute) dramatic increase in

flow rate (e.g. >200 gph or 757 lph) every 2 – 3 days that serves to dislodge any latent

organic material that may have accumulated on the surface of the media itself. We

prefer to use a canister filter for this purpose because, in our opinion, it’s a cleaner

approach than using an open-top reactor placed in a sump, and opens up the

possibility of placing Carbonīt-P or NeōMag (our granular magnesium/calcium media)

into the same vessel for added benefit; also, a filter that features flow-control built into

the motor housing simplifies maintenance.

Excerpt from Brightwells guide to their NEOZEO method. I'm probably going to use their products and already have an adjustable flow canister filter.

Well look at that. Sounds like you got a plan. I wasn't aware that Brightwell suggests something different.

Good to know.

Yeah, I think instead of shaking it you just adjust the flow through the canister to release the mulm.

Let me know when you start it up i'd be interested to see how it works.

I hope to get some pictures today of the new stuff.

Let me know when you start it up i'd be interested to see how it works.

I hope to get some pictures today of the new stuff.

Sounds good man, I'm sure your shots won't disappoint.

So yesterday I decided to do a Phosphate test on my 0 TDS RO/DI water reservoir. I was curious because I was having very minimal but still notable algae in weird places around the tank. Not much in the display but on pump lines and powerheads etc.

I had been running VSV for quite some time and now Zeovit and I have yet to hit full a full blown ULNS ever. My thoughts were that perhaps my Rubbermaid bin is not actually food grade as advertised? My thoughts were partially correct the as Bin Tested 0.07 PO4.

I then decided to check the source water to confirm my theories that the Bin was the problem, to my surprise although my in line TDS meter was reading 0.00 the RO/DI water tested 0.07 again PO4 in a Hanna Checker.

I tested 3 times all with the same result to be sure there was no testing error. It was a steady 0.07....

Sooooo because I bought the RO/DI unit about a year and a half ago used, I figured it may be time to change the Membrane. Instead of taking pictures of the new frags I added the other day, I rushed to the Water Store just before closing, picked up a new membrane and installed it when I got home. To be safe I also changed the DI resin which was also about 5-6 months old.

After running the unit for about an hour my TDS is at 0.00 again and the Hanna Checker reads 0.00!

I am not sure how long this has been happening but it certainly is frustrating to know all the work I have been doing to keep the tank nutrient free is literally being constantly undone by ATO and Water changes with levels close to 0.1 phosphate being dumped into the tank constantly.

I am sure we have all read or been told this before but I stress yet again, test your parameters everywhere often! There are too many variables that can cause problems to neglect a simple 2-5 minute test.

Hopefully this will put the Cyano and any other potential Algea problems to rest for good, or at least for 2 years until it's time to change the membrane again!

Apparently the Video Links were not working for a while. I have edited the first post so the video links should work now for anyone trying to watch them.

For anyone browsing this thread who hasn't seen the videos the pictures are nothing compared to a HD EX1 with a full 35mm Lens System on it.

You can see them here.

Hey I think your tank is freaking sweet! I have built a 23 gallon AIO from scratch. I think I will be upgrading soon. I like those dimensions 30x30x12. Did you have it custom made, did you build it, did a company make it? Did you drill? Did it come drilled? Can you send me a couple pics of tank, front, back, sides, and overflow box, etc. Fuge. Think Ill build a stand as well and run a fuge under the tank all in the stand and stuff like that. nit sure if i want to build another one, mine turned out fine and is going great but its more time than i want if i am going to build a stand for it too. So if you could help me out that would be great!!! Thanks! Great tank! Keep up the good work! Also what brand name equipment are u using. Like the pendant etc?