Innovative Marine Aquariums

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Fantastic tank AJ! In fact so much so you inspired me to go 30"x30", except I went a couple of inches higer to 14".

Keep up the good work and keep the vids coming! :D

Thanks thats awesome to hear your going for a shallow rimless. Its a very unique look and dimension which allows for far more open space.

I will produce a new video sometime soon!

how high up is ur light from the surface of the water?

About 10-12 inches.

Dude... all those pictures you just took are from a stock Sony Cybershot DSC-TX5?????????????????

Yessir. A few internal setting configurations and a bit of white balance shifting in iPhoto but no extensive photo shopping etc. Just a point and shoot in macro underwater mode.

Awesome eh?

PS: Zeovit Reactor and Kit came yesterday, unboxing photos and info coming soon!

Totally awesome!! Because of you i now know what camera i'm getting to take pictures, in water and out! And the best part is that it isn't a fortune! Dude, regardless, those pictures you took are so awesome. I gotta learn to take pictures like that for sure.

I like these shots so much that I began to search for a used one from ebay for myself. I have a Nikon DSLR, so cannot justify buying a new onef or the full price considering how much I have spent on my new tanks so far, but, its such a good camera, and the waterproof feature makes it a perfect reefkeeping present to oneself lol.

Keep the photos coming. Would love to see a video shots underwater! B)

Totally awesome!! Because of you i now know what camera i'm getting to take pictures, in water and out! And the best part is that it isn't a fortune! Dude, regardless, those pictures you took are so awesome. I gotta learn to take pictures like that for sure.

For a point and shoot it really is a decent camera. I have shot everything on a DLSR for the past several years and anything point and shoot was from a phone so I was quite surprised when I saw this one and even more surprised when I saw the macro mode underwater.

I like these shots so much that I began to search for a used one from ebay for myself. I have a Nikon DSLR, so cannot justify buying a new onef or the full price considering how much I have spent on my new tanks so far, but, its such a good camera, and the waterproof feature makes it a perfect reefkeeping present to oneself lol.

Keep the photos coming. Would love to see a video shots underwater! B)

I dont see myself using it too much other than underwater stuff and maybe trips or something but I think it's a great little deal. I will definitely take a video soon. I just began the ZeoVit system so I want to see the effects of that before I shoot any moving pictures though.

- A.

So last week my Boxing Day shipment arrived from J&L Aquatics.

IMG_1983.jpg

With that I installed a 1.5l Vertex Zeovit Reactor and will begin the ZEOvit system starting today.

IMG_1992.jpg

Because I recently added an extra tank in the system in preparation, I have two sump resevoirs one that houses the protein skimmer and one that now houses the ZEOvit reactor.

IMG_1987.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the reason for the change to ZEOvit is because I am currently running a Biopellet and MB7 system at work and I am trying to keep a variety in both tanks that way if something is doing well in one system and not the other I can transfer corals back and forth etc.

I wanted to change it up at home and try different procedures for ULNS. The Zeo Method is VERY similar to the VSV method however I think my Corals will be better fed by the ZEOfood additives as well as the Mulm from pumping the reactor daily. Also I purchased a tub of Brightwell Potassion because my corals have been lightening up due to a lack of Potassium in the system.

Here is the ZEO Schedule I will maintain:

Weeks 1-6

ZEOvit

650 ml zeovit with exchange interval of 6 weeks. Water flow through the media should be 65 gallons/hour per 1 liter of ZEOvit® during the first few weeks. (Run with a timer 3 hours on 3 hours off for first 2 weeks.) Clean daily.

ZEObac

During the start of the ZEOvit® system:

Dose 3 drops daily over a period of 2 weeks.

Subsequently, dose 3 drops two to three times weekly until the change of ZEOvit®.

ZEOfood7

Dose 3 drops two to three times weekly until the exchange of ZEOvit®.

ZEOstart3

Dose 0.2 ml 2x daily.

Weeks 6 - 18 (First Zeo Change)

ZEOvit

750 ml ZEOvit® with exchange interval of 6 – 12 weeks. Water flow through the media should be 75 gallons/hour per 1 liter of ZEOvit®. Clean daily

ZEObac

After the first exchange of ZEOvit®:

Every other day 3 drop per 25 gallons net water volume over a period of two weeks.

Subsequently, Dose 3 drops two to three times weekly.

ZEOfood7

Every other day 3 drops over a period of two weeks.

Subsequently, dose 3 drops two to three times weekly.

ZEOstart 3

Dose 0.3 2x ml daily depending on nutrient conditions.

Repeat weeks 6-18

Future additions for 2011 will likely include an ATI fixture to be done with this Halide... a Digital Aquatics Controller, and an automatic doser for Two Part among a few other upgrades.

With the 250W MH light do you need to run a chiller?

Nope I have almost as much water in the cellar basement sumps as upstairs in the display so it acts as a very good chiller. If you look a couple posts earlier you can see the basement setup if you havent yet.

- A.

Hey dude, if it's not too much trouble, could you get a couple pics with that Cybershot on Macro mode from outside of the tank? I just want to know what the pictures look like in macro mode when you're not so close up to the corals in the water. If you already did just let me know what page they're on lol..

Thanks!

Sounds like your tank is about to be ZEOfied.

Let me know how the Brightwell Aquatics Potassion works.

It certainly is.

I will let you know how the Brightwell formula works. I have to pick up a Potassium test kit so I won't know how effective it is until then.

Hey dude, if it's not too much trouble, could you get a couple pics with that Cybershot on Macro mode from outside of the tank? I just want to know what the pictures look like in macro mode when you're not so close up to the corals in the water. If you already did just let me know what page they're on lol..

Thanks!

I will take a couple photos from outside the tank with the camera for everyone as people have been asking and a January FTS is due however macro mode wont really be of use for these shots because of the longer focal distance and subject.

In the meantime here are some more shots that do use the macro setting taken underwater yesterday:

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

Comments, questions welcomed. Enjoy.

Those are amazing pictures. Can I ask you what camera your using and what lens you are using to take those photos?

Edited by gummbyjim
Those are amazing pictures. Can I ask you what camera your using and what lens you are using to take those photos?

Theres some info about the camera a page back:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3153526

You will be surprised I am sure to read it is a cheap little underwater point and shoot by Sony. No interchangeable lenses and no SLR function just a compact stock waterproof body that happens to take photos a centimeter or so away from the lens in crisp focus... fully submerged in the centre of my reef.

Those are some amazing acans.

Thanks they are indeed quite nice although they tend not to do so well in ULNS situations. I may have to move them to the Studio Reef if they show any signs of the water being too clean especially now with the ZEOvit system up and running... which may not be such a bad thing for the Studio reef as far as contest reefs are concerned ;)

Thanks for the photos!! And i'm definitely buying that camera now.. How good are the pictures out of the water and not in macro mode? That's a big part too.

Thanks for the photos!! And i'm definitely buying that camera now.. How good are the pictures out of the water and not in macro mode? That's a big part too.

I will post some soon. I have taken a few shots in multiple modes and it definitely takes some fine tuning to get it to look nice, especially when compared to a DLSR. I most likely will only use this camera for submerged photos and possibly videos of the reef. Anything outside of the tank will still be shot with the MarkII 5D.

I will post some soon. I have taken a few shots in multiple modes and it definitely takes some fine tuning to get it to look nice, especially when compared to a DLSR. I most likely will only use this camera for submerged photos and possibly videos of the reef. Anything outside of the tank will still be shot with the MarkII 5D.

Yeah i understand, why would you use the Sony over the MarkII 5D. Whatever that is :lol:

But yeah still.. those submerged photos are freakin amazing.. i think if i got that camera all my shot would be in the water ahaha. Thanks again Aj.

Yeah i understand, why would you use the Sony over the MarkII 5D. Whatever that is :lol:

But yeah still.. those submerged photos are freakin amazing.. i think if i got that camera all my shot would be in the water ahaha. Thanks again Aj.

No Problem. Ha I am tempted to keep all my shots underwater as well. (PS: Mark ii is just a high end Canon DLSR)

good stuff

Thanks!

So I have only been running Zeovit for a few days now and already my Nitrates and Phosphate levels have dropped. Nitrate is <1 which has been at a steady slightly <5 for about a year and an half, and Phosphate is 0.00 which was at 0.04 two weeks ago.

I think I like this system.

Edited by AJ_Tsin
Nitrate is <2.5 which has been at a steady <5 for about a year and an half, and Phosphate is 0.00 which was at 0.04 two weeks ago.

I think I like this system.

Wow, so I made a typo/error earlier in the thread based on misreading my Salifert Nitrate test kit. I read the kit in the low range as usual but for some reason forgot to divide the result by 10 ameaning my nitrate dropped to 0.2 not 2. That means within a week of using the ZEOvit method my nitrates have dropped from slightly below 5 to 0.2!

I think I really like this system.

You should regiest for the ZEOvit forums. They have some incredible tanks. Amazing stuff there! Your tank would fit right in ;)

Done! that was the first thing I did when ordering the system. They actually helped me come up with a dosing regiment. So far I am very pleased with the zeovit system you can just tell the water is cleaner by eye. Polyps are crazy extened and things are already colouring nicely since starting.

Edited by AJ_Tsin