Innovative Marine Aquariums

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Hi AJ_Tsin

I saw your video on YouTube and it's awesome! I was planning on installing a 30x18x12 nano-reef but your design won me over! Now i want to build a shallow cube reef and I was wondering, if a 4x24w T5HO or 70w HQI would support a high light system like this? That's the last piece of equipment i need to decide on

Thanks!

And Congrats!

Thanks El-Hab,

I am glad to inspire a shallow reef. There are a bunch of these builds popping up now on N-R. Depending on what types of coral you want to keep that may not be enough.

What dimensions are you now thinking for your tank and what do you want to keep because that will really define your lighting needs.

For a 30x18x12 I would want a 150 MH... however at this stage in the hobby I would look to buy LED instead of MH. As far as T5 Goes I would go for a 6 bulb fixture instead of a 4. This is assuming you want to keep SPS or similar high light coral.

HTH, keep the questions and comments coming...

I was thinking of 24x24x12 or 16, or 30x30x12. I'm planning on keeping softies qnd LPS, i don't know about SPS yet, but maybe acropora or montipora i would like to keep, clams are so expensive and delicate, so maybe i'll wait on deciding about keeping clams.

Edit: does the MP10 vortech maintains good flow through all the cube?

Edited by el_heb
I was thinking of 24x24x12 or 16, or 30x30x12. I'm planning on keeping softies qnd LPS, i don't know about SPS yet, but maybe acropora or montipora i would like to keep, clams are so expensive and delicate, so maybe i'll wait on deciding about keeping clams.

Hey el_heb i think you should go with the 24 cube, i have a 20x20x10 an starting up. Heres a link to a guy that inspierd my tank hes on nano reef to but this threads on another site. http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f52/divine...goon-41252.html hope this helps your dicision. Ps, where in mexico are you am from chihuahua.

Edit: does the MP10 vortech maintains good flow through all the cube?

I would go for the 30x30 It doesn't take much more space and adds a lot more water volume. Then use a 6 bulb 24inch T5 or a 250w Halide, or even better get an LED array made Evilc66 has some awesome threads on here with DIY plans...

Mp10 is great! These pumps are awesome. However I will be taking the MP10 and adding it to my 13.5 Rimless and adding a MP20w pump to the 47.

As a side note to everyone following this thread... I have collaborated with a fellow LED Engineer to begin the design of a Custom Array for this tank. I hope to use the logic and equipment info from Evil's threads with the build and design knowledge of this local Engineer/Reefer to create a DIY array that fits the aesthetic of this system.

This project is in it's infantile stages but look forward to huge lighting changes to this system as time passes.

- Stay tuned for all of that.

NaClCrocodile

@ el_heb - If you do go 30x30" get a lumenarc III and you'll have plenty of coverage. The problem with T5s on a tank like this is that even a 6 bulb fixture will give you like 20" of good coverage. MH is probably your best bet for larger cubes.

If i go with MH it would be 70 or 150w, LEDs are expensive right now, i would go with Evil's PAR38 fixture, but i don't think i would get enough coverage in a 30x30 or even a 24x24

By the way Cees, i'm from monterrey, good to see a fellow mexican in this hobby

If i go with MH it would be 70 or 150w, LEDs are expensive right now, i would go with Evil's PAR38 fixture, but i don't think i would get enough coverage in a 30x30 or even a 24x24

By the way Cees, i'm from monterrey, good to see a fellow mexican in this hobby

Lol dnt see to many paisas this days in this hobby, we gara unite! Jk. But if you go with the par38s i think u would need like 4 or 5 of them. They recomended 4 on my 20 cube and there like 130 or per light! I really like the maxspect 110w for my tank but for those bigger tanks i would go with the 160 has 2 white 30w leds and its very clean looking. I just cant afford it right now and i wana start my tank up so thats y am goin with the t5s.

@ el_heb - If you do go 30x30" get a lumenarc III and you'll have plenty of coverage. The problem with T5s on a tank like this is that even a 6 bulb fixture will give you like 20" of good coverage. MH is probably your best bet for larger cubes.

Thanks for tuning in NaCLCroc... glad to have your advice.

Your tank is an inspiration! As much as I'm just getting into reefing (nitrites on the rise!), I'm finding that I like the open layouts better than the walls of rock, and yours is just stunning. There's a real sense of design to the rock and coral placement and your photography skills really make the whole thing shine. I've got a Canon Vixia and I can't wait to see how it does once my tank is stocked. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see how your other tank develops.

Your tank is an inspiration! As much as I'm just getting into reefing (nitrites on the rise!), I'm finding that I like the open layouts better than the walls of rock, and yours is just stunning. There's a real sense of design to the rock and coral placement and your photography skills really make the whole thing shine. I've got a Canon Vixia and I can't wait to see how it does once my tank is stocked. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see how your other tank develops.

love = this tank! :)

Thanks guys. For the record I will be going camping for a few days in Algonquin. Stay tuned for updates when I return.

Hey dude.. just wondering. I think i may have asked you this already.. but how is it that you keep your sand so clean and white? Any tips?

Also, what kind of rock do you got? It looks awesome, and when i upgrade in the future i definitely want rock as nice as yours. lol.

:)

Edited by Zer0
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay in response. As you can Imagine the summer months took a toll in my online presence. But I am back on N-R now...

how many lbs of sand did you use?

About 60 I think.. I don't remember.

aj, what salt mix are you using?

I am using Instant Ocean Mix...

What fixture are you using now?

I am using a 250 w Pendant with an Ice Cap Ballast.

Thought i'd repeat it since you're here now.. what kind of rock do you have? Is it just some stuff you got locally or does it have a name? It really is such nice rock.. the rigidity and shapes are perfect for shallow tanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

great tanks

one of my faves!

hey i have a questions for you

how do you have such clear water with such fine sand!?!? im trying to get my water clearer!

thanks again for the inspirational tank

NaClCrocodile

elsefailed, Have you washed your sand? I know that made my initial water 100x clearer than I would have had without it. The other thing that I finally got running (after two months) that cleared up my water instantly was a carbon reactor. My water was cloudy and nasty until that got up and running, then within two days it was crystal clear.

AJ, it's been a while since I've browsed your thread (back when you lost your clowns if I remember correctly) but it looks great. I assume you've continued VSV, now would you start VSV as soon as the tank got started or would you wait? I'm thinking of starting soon.

• 1 month later...
Beautiful tank! The best on Nano-Reef IMO

Hey what kind of camera are you using/filming with?

Thanks for the compliments

It was actually a Sony XD Cam EX1 Video Camera not a DSLR, however you are correct in the lens assumption. The camera is equipped with a 35mm lens system and a sophisticated imaging element meant to replicate film.

IMG_0375.jpg

It's a pretty big rig but I own a video and interactive media production company near Niagara Falls Canada so a camera that big is justified.

I was using old Canon FD Prime Lenses for this shoot 50mm, 200 mm, 84mm, 28 wide. All relatively fast 1.4 - 2.8 ish. I dont use zoom lenses ever.

The video is raw out of the camera however a white balance filter was applied because not many cameras white balance to 20000 K. No other effects or color correction were applied.

Cheers.

:lol:

NaClCrocodile

Alright man, I watched your second video again and decided to tweak my MP10 settings. I autotuned it to make a nice wave that makes me a little nervous lol. My water level is usually 1/2" below the edge but with these settings I've got it ~1/4" inch away :P I love this thing!