Pod Your Reef

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Anyone have any thoughts on Automatically Dosing Two Part.

I am debating Buying two regular dosers and a Reef Keeper Lite, or buying a Doser with a Timer Built in and skipping the controller.

I would certainly also use the Reef Keeper for automating Return Pumps Heating regulation etc. but because I use a Vortech MP 10 I wouldnt use the Wavemaker and I dont have LEDs to Automate Moonlighting etc. I am not sure I 100 percent need it.

I plan on buying a T5 Unit sometime this year so I suppose the Controller would be able to control The Actinics etc and would get rid of a clunky timer or two.

Thoughts? Pros cons of both?

Hey AJ i just bought a aquamedic reefdoser(2 pumps) for dosing 2 part. I could have went with the brs dosers but i didnt want to use extra ports on my pc-4 to schedule dosing. So the aquamedic should be delivered at the end of the week and ill let you know how it works.

Hey AJ i just bought a aquamedic reefdoser(2 pumps) for dosing 2 part. I could have went with the brs dosers but i didnt want to use extra ports on my pc-4 to schedule dosing. So the aquamedic should be delivered at the end of the week and ill let you know how it works.

How much was this?

I'm looking into designing a dosing system for this exact thing and it's going to cost me <$100 for the parts.

Just another route I guess but once the code is done all you'd have to do is get the parts and put it together.

I paid $130 for mine.

Used or new?

I just wonder if I would be able to buy a few boxes of all the parts and take a nice discount on them to sell a few units.

Anyone have any thoughts on Automatically Dosing Two Part.

I am debating Buying two regular dosers and a Reef Keeper Lite, or buying a Doser with a Timer Built in and skipping the controller.

I would certainly also use the Reef Keeper for automating Return Pumps Heating regulation etc. but because I use a Vortech MP 10 I wouldnt use the Wavemaker and I dont have LEDs to Automate Moonlighting etc. I am not sure I 100 percent need it.

I plan on buying a T5 Unit sometime this year so I suppose the Controller would be able to control The Actinics etc and would get rid of a clunky timer or two.

Thoughts? Pros cons of both?

I don't have any experience with dosing 2 part, but I do have a lightly used RKL I might be persuaded to part with if you go that direction, it also has the ALC module for dimming T5's or LED's.

Hmm In the RKL you can just add Strips for power and its still cheaper than buying the ReefDoser. Let me know how it goes though because the debate is definitely between a RKL and the Reefdoser.

I don't have any experience with dosing 2 part, but I do have a lightly used RKL I might be persuaded to part with if you go that direction, it also has the ALC module for dimming T5's or LED's.

How much do you want? PM me, also I am in Canada so would you ship here?

Thanks guys any other opinions?

The question is " Reefkeeper Controller with two BRS dosing pumps or an Aquamedic Aquadoser with timer built in and skip the controller?"

I think that the off the shelf controllers are some of the nicest pieces of hardware I've seen in the hobby besides the MP10.

Used.

Thanks man.

Thanks guys any other opinions?

The question is " Reefkeeper Controller with two BRS dosing pumps or an Aquamedic Aquadoser with timer built in and skip the controller?"

I'm sure you've probably look at it but I know I have heard lots of people discussing the Apex controller. Have you looked into that at all?

I'm glad the ZEOvit is working out for you. Seems like everyone is having good results.

I'm sure you've probably look at it but I know I have heard lots of people discussing the Apex controller. Have you looked into that at all?

I'm glad the ZEOvit is working out for you. Seems like everyone is having good results.

I have looked into the Apex Lite, Probably a better deal then the Reefkeeper Lite Net actually.

However for now I think I am just going to go with a automated doser. I am just debating between the Aquamedic Reefdoser, or GHL Profilux doser.

- A.

NaClCrocodile

Really I would think about how you use the controller and more specifically how many PC4's you'll want (assuming you use a RKL). I have mine controlling my dusk/dawn and heater/fan. That setup keeps things constant, but if you're looking to automate dosing, I'd just add another PC4 and you've got it. Return pumps typically don't get controlled because they're constantly on. Why add one more thing that could fail?

Tank looks great. I'm not sure that you'd want to risk it with an open top, but I've just discovered fairy wrasses and I have a new favorite fish for sure. M/F combo and they're breathtaking.

Really I would think about how you use the controller and more specifically how many PC4's you'll want (assuming you use a RKL). I have mine controlling my dusk/dawn and heater/fan. That setup keeps things constant, but if you're looking to automate dosing, I'd just add another PC4 and you've got it. Return pumps typically don't get controlled because they're constantly on. Why add one more thing that could fail?

Tank looks great. I'm not sure that you'd want to risk it with an open top, but I've just discovered fairy wrasses and I have a new favorite fish for sure. M/F combo and they're breathtaking.

I think I will go with the GHL Stand-alone Dosing Unit. It seems the most reliable and it doses as little as one ml throughout the day so parameters are very stable.

Its only a bit more than the Aquamedic Reef Doser but I think the quality is unparralelled.

I wont get a controller just yet. Probably wait for a while. Doesnt seem worth it with the MP10 having its own controller and the lights I have and the ones I will be getting not being dimmable. Nothing else really needs a controller just pH and temp tracking I suppose.

Also found a sweet deal on a GHL Stand alone Doser today in Canada. Ordering asap!

And finally as a little ego booster this tank was nominated in the Monthly Reef Profiles thread! Thanks Dasani and the others who have mentioned this tank. It's an honor. Someday.........

- A.

Seven new underwater shots taken just now...

DSC00126.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

Camera is sweet!

Also: Last update for the night: New signature graphic.

Edited by AJ_Tsin

I apologize if this has been addressed already, but how much evaporation are you seeing? With 9 square feet of open surface area (not counting your sump), I would think you're losing quite a lot. True?

I apologize if this has been addressed already, but how much evaporation are you seeing? With 9 square feet of open surface area (not counting your sump), I would think you're losing quite a lot. True?

I'd be interested to know this as well. I have the same footprint but with an ATI 8x24w T5s over it and am seeing about 3.6 Litres a day.

I'd be interested to know this as well. I have the same footprint but with an ATI 8x24w T5s over it and am seeing about 3.6 Litres a day.

I am not exactly sure of the water volume that evaporates each day. I will try and track that to get an answer for you. I installed a giant 40 Gallon Rubbermaid in the sump room with a gravity fed ATO so I dont notice the evap. My water level and Salinity have been steady since I it was installed. I merely turn on the RO unit and half fill this Bin every month or so and I leave a Koralia powerhead in the bin to keep the water moving around as it drips in.

If I had to estimate I would say I lose about 2.5-3 liters a day. Maybe less though not sure. Next time I fill the top up bin I will see how long it takes to deplete and divide by the days.

Sorry I don't have a more specific answer, hope this helps.

Hey great shots man, I'm going to pick up one of the powershots.

Thanks Patrick, I really do reccomend it. The shots from outside of the tank are mediocre as the lighting is too strong for the sensor I havent really gotten it to perform the way i'd like, or at least in a way that compares to DSLR ha. But for the underwater stuff in macro mode its amazing and I havent even started shooting videos in that mode yet.

Just wanted to say that this tank most certainly deserves TOTM. Your videos are without question one of the best things on nano-reef.com

I hope you win!

-D

Well thankyou. Thats quite the compliment. Thanks for the support it's really awesome. I started documenting my reefkeeping a long time ago in hopes to just have a timecapsule to look back on, but its communities like this that really bring it to life. Its awesome sharing and getting feedback but its also just as rewarding to ask questions and recieve opinions or answer questions that are asked of me.

In short: It's great to have people like you who contribute which makes the time I put into creating media around the hobby worthwhile. So thanks again.

Theres quite a few people speaking up in the nomination thread shouting out this tank so fingers crossed!

I am not exactly sure of the water volume that evaporates each day. I will try and track that to get an answer for you. I installed a giant 40 Gallon Rubbermaid in the sump room with a gravity fed ATO so I dont notice the evap. My water level and Salinity have been steady since I it was installed. I merely turn on the RO unit and half fill this Bin every month or so and I leave a Koralia powerhead in the bin to keep the water moving around as it drips in.

If I had to estimate I would say I lose about 2.5-3 liters a day. Maybe less though not sure. Next time I fill the top up bin I will see how long it takes to deplete and divide by the days.

Sorry I don't have a more specific answer, hope this helps.

That's a good enough ballpark, thanks. It's not like you're filling the Rubbermaid tank every day or anything.

I'm not surprised that your tank is so popular. It's a really interesting design with lots of depth (so few tanks are nearly 3' deep), has lots of open/ negative space (which, as you pointed out, is really more natural and more like a real ecosystem), and you did a great job with the aquascaping. I think setups like yours are the future of reefing.