Pod Your Reef

20long barrier/lagoon build

bird

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ya i like the zoas on the shore looks good

Thanks. This is just temp I hope. I am moving all the corals to the deeper section.

I have plans to use macros in the shallow, probably Mermaid/shave brush. Something to that effect.

Awesome! I think we need another video once everything opens up. Fantastic job!

Will do so. I was playing with the MP10...again...and had it on short wave pulse.

I actually felt a wave of dizziness while looking top-down. Almost like sea-sick.

Tried to capture it on vid, but can't see the wave action as well.

OClownsandNanos

Love the concept and such quick execution! Looking forward to the macro additions . . . I like to see macros in display tanks and what you're planning should be pretty cool. Keep it up!

Thanks. This is just temp I hope. I am moving all the corals to the deeper section.

I have plans to use macros in the shallow, probably Mermaid/shave brush. Something to that effect.

+1

Thats what I thought your plan was. I don't like the zoas on the sand myself.

I love this!!!! i think imma get rid of my cichlid and turn into this with a rock foam wall

My favorite cichlid I ever owned was a pure white (not albino) Red Devil male.

What cichlids do you have?

Thats what I thought your plan was. I don't like the zoas on the sand myself.

Same, almost turns such a well executed and novel display into a well executed and novel frag rack.

Stress on the well executed and novel part, this is really a cool box 'o water!

Same, almost turns such a well executed and novel display into a well executed and novel frag rack.

Stress on the well executed and novel part, this is really a cool box 'o water!

Thanks. I thought is was the coolest tank when I saw the original and thought a nano would be awesome though it has its limitations. Especially working with the bottom chamber. That to come later though the chaeto along with a submersible LED seems to be working OK.

The shallow sand bed is clearing out though still have a few things left.

Love the MP10 as the only pump. Well, there is the Maxijet 400 feeding from the bottom chamber to the main part. Thinking of going to a 900.

When I turn off the MP10 the view from above is so awesome.

Think I am going to try and live without a protein Skimmer for now, especially since I am having trouble figuring out how to hook something up without cluttering the tank.

I thought of trying small daily water changes and see how that goes and also maybe with a good salt not have to dose.

Every new set up looks so bright and clean though

20longvid304.jpg?t=1266897826

bottom chamber

20longvid307.jpg?t=1266897789

I'm seriously considering using this basic build for a 40 breeder, with a few tweaks affordable to a larger tank. Inspiring, really. There have been several people who proposed this concept, but opted not to actually go through with it because of technical difficulty. I'm sure those same few are looking at this tank with envy, great work.

I'm seriously considering using this basic build for a 40 breeder, with a few tweaks affordable to a larger tank. Inspiring, really. There have been several people who proposed this concept, but opted not to actually go through with it because of technical difficulty. I'm sure those same few are looking at this tank with envy, great work.

That would be awesome. You would have much more to work with and get a better barrier reef/lagoon area than this one. Really limited here with space, but manageable. Barely though.

Kind of wish I had gotten a breeder tank. I guess I wanted to stay nano though I foresee some complications that could be avoided with a larger tank.

Love that sig BTW. Funny.

what is your whole set up for the chaeto? how long has it been growing? it is looking good!

Just stuck it in the bottom with a submersible light. Hopefully it does OK like that.

It seems to grow pretty fast. Got a wad about a month ago locally and had it in the back chamber of a Finnex lit 24/7.

Damn how did I miss this Bird? Page 6 popped up I have to go back and read this thread.Looks awesome.

I was wondering where you were at.

Yea, thats what I'm thinking. 18" of depth would be awesome in conjunction with this concept, even if a 40 breeder is still a preety shallow tank. My one big problem is deciding what to do with the space under the shore, since I have every intention of spoiling myself with a sump/refugium for once. Not to mention the whacko overflow i've decided would be awesome.

So many plans, such a limited budget. Woooh addiction!

edit:

P.S.

I wish having to much coral was a problem of mine.

Yea, thats what I'm thinking. 18" of depth would be awesome in conjunction with this concept, even if a 40 breeder is still a preety shallow tank. My one big problem is deciding what to do with the space under the shore, since I have every intention of spoiling myself with a sump/refugium for once. Not to mention the whacko overflow i've decided would be awesome.

So many plans, such a limited budget. Woooh addiction!

edit:

P.S.

I wish having to much coral was a problem of mine.

Just use the under part as extra water=stability if you are going to plan a sump anyway. nothing wrong with that. This tank is drilled and I had considered that, but thought I would give this a try first.

So when are you starting it?

Mid march, assuming my evil genius ways haven't failed me yet. I have to use the space for something...I'll figure it out. I have to use everything for something, and something for everything. Maybe I'll turn it in to a fuge, all though figuring out how to plumb that in to a sump with out risking a plug I can't reach is something to consider.

Any way, this is your thread about your awesome tank, I'll leave my banter for when I have something half as well thought out and attractive to look at.

Archived