Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

20long barrier/lagoon build

bird

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/arwndsh/P1050464.jpg

I don't know who's tank it is but I am going to build one out of a 20 long. maybe something a little bigger, depends on what I have out in the shed.

I don't much care for the current setup I have because of too much LR and no room for anything.

I plan on using my 2 MP10 at the deep end pointing toward the shallow.

The shallow will have a DSB and house pistols and gobies. The deep end will hold LR streaming up from the bottom to the shallow and hold sps. Zoanthids and other corals will stream where ever they like it best.

I have yet to test it but I think with the MP10 going it will create a wavebreak at the shallow end.

At the end of the shallow will be a slotted overflow that will drain into and underneath the shallow where LR and chaeto will be held.

The slotted overflow will measure about 4inches and the rest of the end will be an opening above the water level and provide access to the under-compartment.

A Maxijet 400 will return water via an opening at the bottom of the deep cliff.

What do you think? Any tidbits?

I start building tomorrow.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/arwndsh/P1050464.jpg

I don't know who's tank it is but I am going to build one out of a 20 long. maybe something a little bigger, depends on what I have out in the shed.

I don't much care for the current setup I have because of too much LR and no room for anything.

I plan on using my 2 MP10 at the deep end pointing toward the shallow.

The shallow will have a DSB and house pistols and gobies. The deep end will hold LR streaming up from the bottom to the shallow and hold sps. Zoanthids and other corals will stream where ever they like it best.

I have yet to test it but I think with the MP10 going it will create a wavebreak at the shallow end.

At the end of the shallow will be a slotted overflow that will drain into and underneath the shallow where LR and chaeto will be held.

The slotted overflow will measure about 4inches and the rest of the end will be an opening above the water level and provide access to the under-compartment.

A Maxijet 400 will return water via an opening at the bottom of the deep cliff.

What do you think? Any tidbits?

I start building tomorrow.

:haha: You completely stole my idea! I have been doing a ton of research on that tank!

That is a sweet setup and your idea seems like it will make for a great tank. I think this is one of the tanks that inspired Mew for his 10 gallon contest tank so check out his thread.

It'd be reallllyyyy cool to have some wave break action going on at the shallow. I have a 20L and if it were me I'd go to maybe a 30 breeder.

That is a sweet setup and your idea seems like it will make for a great tank. I think this is one of the tanks that inspired Mew for his 10 gallon contest tank so check out his thread.

It'd be reallllyyyy cool to have some wave break action going on at the shallow. I have a 20L and if it were me I'd go to maybe a 30 breeder.

I had thought of that, but only have the 2 MP10s and don't think they would create the action full force in anything larger. I will pull some tanks out tomorrow and see what happens.

:haha: You completely stole my idea! I have been doing a ton of research on that tank!

Loosers wheepers. :P

We will have to get together and help each build one.

I'd go for a 33L, it's 48" long and will give you more room. Also even in a 33L you will only need 1xmp10 otherwise just get a mp20, but it's sounds like you have 2xmp10 lying around.

lnglostsurfer

This should be cool. I've thought about doing this type of setup with the filtration under the shallow end but couldn't figure out a way to make it easily accessible. Good luck with it! I will be tagging along.

Why not custom build it out of acrylic. This isn't the first time i seen a tank like that. I think there is another thread on this forum about that type of tank.

This should be cool. I've thought about doing this type of setup with the filtration under the shallow end but couldn't figure out a way to make it easily accessible. Good luck with it! I will be tagging along.

Yep, that is the part that I will be looking at tomorrow, making the shallow under compartment accessible.

I am thinking that by leaving a 6"x6" opening a the back corner it would be enough to get ones arm into and bent to access the backside of the cliff wall. where return pump would go.

Looks awesome. The dropoff! What are you insane!?

finding_nemo_marlin_clown_fish_telling_joke.jpg

First thing that came to my mind. I watched too many kids movies with my kids.

Here is a crude sketch. If anyone has any thoughts/improvements feel free to share them. I start the build today.

tank.jpg?t=1265555934

My one concern is that you mentioned having a DSB in the deep end. The 20 long isn't super deep so if you are taking up 4-6 inches for a DSB the drop-off won't be as dramatic as if you had a normal sandbed or even bare bottom...

I would have the return pump have the water flow to the top or somewhere close to the top for fear of the sump being inundated with water in case of a power outage or the like.

My one concern is that you mentioned having a DSB in the deep end. The 20 long isn't super deep so if you are taking up 4-6 inches for a DSB the drop-off won't be as dramatic as if you had a normal sandbed or even bare bottom...

It will just be deep enough to keep my pistol shrimps. The shallow end I am going to use for Maidenshair and other plants hopefully.

I would have the return pump have the water flow to the top or somewhere close to the top for fear of the sump being inundated with water in case of a power outage or the like.

If the sump/compartment are under the shallow end I don't think it would matter if the power went out. It would jsut lower the water down to a point that no more would enter the overflow is all. The underside would jsut have LR rubble and chaeto so wouldn't matter if the level rose.

Unless I am misunderstanding you.

I'm sorry to interrupt some ones thead but if some one could pm me to explain what I need to do I'd really appreciate it. thanks

sorry to start my own thread is what im asking

Archived