Innovative Marine Aquariums

20long barrier/lagoon build

bird

Yes there is black stain. May not find it at home depot or ace hdw.. Unless you have some exotic wood you won't depreciate the value. Black stain could be made by thinning black oil based paint. Thin it with mineral spirits as much as needed to get the tint desired. I could help with plans if you want to build it yourself.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, will be trying out the MP10s tonight to see what they do. The silicone should be cured enough to withstand the flow they will put out. Might even add some sand to the shallow and see how it acts.

Post pics!!

Yes there is black stain. May not find it at home depot or ace hdw.. Unless you have some exotic wood you won't depreciate the value. Black stain could be made by thinning black oil based paint. Thin it with mineral spirits as much as needed to get the tint desired. I could help with plans if you want to build it yourself.

Sweet. I am going to sell a few corals and should have more cash for better materials. I have a table saw, Radial arm saw and other power tools. I can cut straight and all that, just don't know how to assemble for strength, door building, etc.

What kind of wood should I use? Sheets of wood?

I was reading on the can of Fusion Krylon I have and it says for wood also. Would this maybe be a way to go? I was thinking it would protect the wood better from salt water since it is a for plastic paint.

That is what I used for the wall and overflow of the tank.

just a thought but after reading this maybe you should split the flow via a y-connection and then have two out lets and it might be better flow two just a thought

Shot a quick vid but not much really to see. Couldn't come up with any sand but I plan on bringing the rock up high so the shallow is more lagoon like. I think the sand will be fine there.

1 MP10 will be plenty it looks like as glennr1978 stated.

My first video so hope the linking is right.

Kind of loud but once the filter media and floss is in place should quiet down. If this is not how yo post a video, would some one please show me how?

http://s769.photobucket.com/albums/xx339/b...ent=Picture.flv

just a thought but after reading this maybe you should split the flow via a y-connection and then have two out lets and it might be better flow two just a thought

I think I am going bare bottom a the deep end and might 'T' off the return to a perforated pipe running along so debris will gather at one side making for easier siphon off.

Saw that somewhere, though can't recall where, but seemed to work pretty good.

Not even sure I want any fish. The cleaner for sps the better from what I understand.

I am ready to see pics of the tank with Water, Sand, and Rock in it.

Me too. Need to get a stand, but hope within the next week. At least by the end of the weekend

Looking pretty good, I'm going to follow this thread as well. I was thinking that overflow would be a perfect place for one of StevieT's media baskets, but it looks like it might be a little small. He might be willing to make a custom one though. It would sure make maintenance easier and cut back on some of that overflow noise :)

Nice work!

Looking pretty good, I'm going to follow this thread as well. I was thinking that overflow would be a perfect place for one of StevieT's media baskets, but it looks like it might be a little small. He might be willing to make a custom one though. It would sure make maintenance easier and cut back on some of that overflow noise :)

Nice work!

Once the media (Chemipur and floss) is in there the noise will will cease. There is nothing in there in the video so the water is crashing down on water, thus the noise.

Good thought on the StevieT basket though. Right now I have eggcrate attached to a magnet that will hold the media and floss above the bottom chamber water level.

Just have to figure out how to do ATO.

Still a little stuck on that one. May have to do a small chamber within the media chamber for the top off switch.

lnglostsurfer
Once the media (Chemipur and floss) is in there the noise will will cease. There is nothing in there in the video so the water is crashing down on water, thus the noise.

Good thought on the StevieT basket though. Right now I have eggcrate attached to a magnet that will hold the media and floss above the bottom chamber water level.

Just have to figure out how to do ATO.

Still a little stuck on that one. May have to do a small chamber within the media chamber for the top off switch.

No doubt starting to look really good. Yea, I have only heard good things about stevie T's media baskets, thought about one for my coffee table DIY but that project didn't turn out how I was hoping...video is looking good though. I love the wave action! And yeah, I would imagine that thing would quiet down some with some media. Have you thought anything more about the baffles in the sump area? I like the idea of the flexible knitting netting or whatever it is, just to keep things out of the pump better, don't know how you're going to get anything else down in there at this point...

This is how I believe I will do the rock. Will give enough room I think for my few sps to grow and be able to keep most of my zoanthids.

I may add a thin sand bed at the deep end for zoanthids on the bottom. Also to make it look a little more realistic. The pics will help me put it back once it is ready for water.

Picture753.jpg?t=1265766349

Picture754.jpg?t=1265766370

Picture755.jpg?t=1265766397

Picture756.jpg?t=1265766419

Picture757.jpg?t=1265766443

Also I think I am going to go with the Maxijet 1200 on my Bakpak skimmer, drill through the bottom of the shallow end back corner so it will feed from the bottom chamber and up to the hang-on-back Bakpak skimmer which can return to the deep end. Save a pump and get use of the skimmer.

this is cool, cant wait to see more.

Id try some large grain sand in the shallow area. would look so natural and if it doesnt work you can always remove it.

lnglostsurfer

You're probably already too far into it, but have you thought about building a rock wall for it? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who's done it but I've seen quite a few on here. Looks pretty easy to do also, then you wouldn't have a black wall, unless it's going to sort of make it look cave-ish. You might want to paint the back glass too for that matter...

lnglostsurfer

Glenn, glad you posted as your rock wall was one of the best I saw. I like the split effect. I just think with the way this tank is setup you could do a really cool rock wall that would sort of span across the cliff and onto the back wall, maybe even....overhang? Or even building an actual cave into the back for something cave-dwelling. Build some barnacles into it and get a pearly jawfish or something even. Just trying to think of some more ideas for you...

I talked to a tech at Smooth-On, a company that makes polyurethane products, including expandable foams, and he himself has a reef tank and would not recommend putting urethane products in.

He said that unless the product batch is exactly mixed in correct proportions leaching can occur.

According to what he said, usually the first sign will be an increase in skimming.

I know many have made the expand a foam rock walls with great success, but I have also noticed a few tanks that have crashed for no known reason, and they have foam rock walls.

Could be just coincidence, but considering I do not make much at my job and my corals are priceless to me, I choose not to use expandable foam in my reef.

http://www.msdshazcom.com/COMMON/wcd00017/wcd017bc.htm

lnglostsurfer

Wow, that's good to know...I didn't even think about that really. And I was totally trying to plan out a smaller AIO tank and put in a rock wall...will definitely be re-thinking that. Glenn, did you have any problems at all with yours?

Archived