inTank Media Baskets

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so I know this is my first post, but WOW!!! Just waded through all 18 pages, and it is just incredible what you have done. I'd been planning a 30L when I found this site, and now I'm seriously rethinking a 20L may be a better option. Thanks for the trip through the development of your tank. I hope you end up using the AC70 on the hex, I'd like to see how it works as a HOB sump, since you pulled it so quick on this tank. I'd prefer to use an AC instead of a skimmer, since mine will be in our bedroom. (skimmer gurgle in the middle of the night isn't a good time :P )

Thanks guys!

I might put that ac70 on the hex. I had planned on just using the ac30 that is already on the tank, but why cut up another one for a fuge when the 70 is already prep'd. Just a matter of real estate, and I don't remember how wide the 70 is. We shall see...

In other news, the 1 stalk of xenia the guy gave me as a freebie a few weeks back is now about 12 and threatening to overtake the left island. So I'll probably end up yanking it completely this weekend.

Thanks guys!

I might put that ac70 on the hex. I had planned on just using the ac30 that is already on the tank, but why cut up another one for a fuge when the 70 is already prep'd. Just a matter of real estate, and I don't remember how wide the 70 is. We shall see...

In other news, the 1 stalk of xenia the guy gave me as a freebie a few weeks back is now about 12 and threatening to overtake the left island. So I'll probably end up yanking it completely this weekend.

ship me the xenia!

also, when i get my graduation money this winter, i'm gonna upgrade hardcore to a custom tall cube 18x18x24 (about 30G) inspired by YOUR hex!

and if that fails, so help me.

ship me the xenia!

PM me your shipping info if you want it. I will send it all. I turn my head and look at it right now they are all fluffed up and the whole mess of it is about the size of a very large grapefruit or softball. I've not seen this stuff pulse though, so fair warning.

First, here is what happens to one stalk of Xenia in 4 weeks:

xenia.jpg

Second, look who came out of hiding. I am theorizing (imagining) that he's hunting on the left island. there are two brittle stars here, a couple of whitish looking starfish and a few asterina I see on these rocks from time to time. Either that or he just went for a stroll. Whatever the reason, it was nice to see the shy guy:

shrimp.1.jpg

shrimp.2.jpg

shrimp.3.jpg

shrimp.4.jpg

shrimp.5.jpg

shrimp.6.jpg

shrimp.7.jpg

Awesome harlequin! wow thats really good xenia growth, wish mine looked like that, oh and my xenia does not pulse when the flow is high, put it in a low flow area and more likely than not, it'll pulse :)

Nah this xenia just sucks and doesn't pulse. I've placed it all over the tank and no dice. Only reason I kept it this long was because the guy at AquaCave gave it to me and I feel bad dumping it but damn it it's just out of control.

The large worm must have gotten pissed off at the xenia crowding in on him. I just looked now and it has twisted itself around so it's crown is poking out the back of the island.

Loving this set up Violinist. I especially love the colour of your lighting! Are you still running the same bulb combo in your 4xT5 fixture? I'd love to try and recreate the same look in my own 6 bulb unit. You got any suggestions? At the moment i'm using exclusively ATI bulbs, 3x Blue+, 2x Aquaspecials and 1x Pro Colour but its a bit white for my liking. I was considering swapping out the two specials for a another blue+ and a pure actinic, assuming ofc that the par would still be of sufficient levels to allow SPS of all kinds. There is no live stock in atm, just really wet water :).

I really like the looks of your tank. I am in the process of tearing down my 75 to make room in the house and have decided to go with a 20l also. Cant wait to get it going after seeing your tank.

animalmaster6

Violinist,

This tank is absolutely Stunning! I will be shocked if it doesn't get TOTm at one point. The SPS are awesome and especially your Harlequin Shrimp! :) When I give all my nominations for TOTM I assure you, you will be at the top!

Great Job!

Sorry about not getting pix for the 125G :blush: The stand is coming in a few days and I assure you from there on there will be plenty of pisc! :)

Haha, thanks AnimalMaster! I really appreciate all the compliments, but I don't think it's anywhere near the tanks that get the TOTM nod. I enjoy it, and I'm glad other people do. I've learned a lot just running it this short time, and a lot of what I've learned are things I'll be doing differently in the next (much larger) reef! :)

I'm just busting your chops on the pics thing. I'm a pic whore like everyone else on this site, and I am eager to see how your 125 grows. Should be good!

animalmaster6
Haha, thanks AnimalMaster! I really appreciate all the compliments, but I don't think it's anywhere near the tanks that get the TOTM nod. I enjoy it, and I'm glad other people do. I've learned a lot just running it this short time, and a lot of what I've learned are things I'll be doing differently in the next (much larger) reef! :)

I'm just busting your chops on the pics thing. I'm a pic whore like everyone else on this site, and I am eager to see how your 125 grows. Should be good!

I think it's defiently TOTM worthy!

haha I love pics. I would love to post more but nothing happens lately. I have so many endless plans for it! :)

shrimp.2.jpg

GREAT Pics!! Are those blastos in this one? I bought two heads about 2 months ago and am JUST NOW seeing one new head. How are yours doing?

Now - you know this is coming - where's the FTS? :)

I think we need to put a thread together for 20L FTS shots...

I'm going to have to mount those new sps. I didn't want to, but they keep getting knocked over. So I'll take a FTS this weekend once they are in their spots and the xenia is ripped out.

Those are blastos. I haven't noticed any new heads but it is really hard to see past the two or three you can see from the front. They just keep growing bigger and bigger and bigger. The head next to the shrimp in that pic is bigger than a half dollar now. When I got the frag the largest polyp on it was the size of a nickel when fluffed up.

It would be cool if there was a 20L fts thread, also because I always see those threads 'what lights for a 30 inch long tank' and then people could just go there and see for themselves what others are running.

Archived