ReefCleaners.org

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

Why's your gf so worked up about it eating starfish? Everything is food for something else.

She thinks it is terrible that the shrimp eats something so cute I guess.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has she seen a chocolate chip star? Looks like a pile of dog turd.

She likes them but I agree with you. They don't look that great.

Your tank is starting to fill out and mature pretty well. I was wondering you were planning on adding some more LR to it? That real estate is going to fill up fast with all of those zoas and shrooms.

I may add one more rock on the left, horizontally across the midsection of that cave. Maybe. For now the plan is to add a few more frags on the left island and just let it bake.

In fairness there is more empty space than it probably looks like. I'll kill the pumps and take a top down shot at some point and you can check it out. Both islands run up to the back wall and just about all the frags are situated right on their front edges.

I want to learn as much as I can off this tank before pulling the trigger on a larger reef in the future. Every week it seems like there is another thing I add to the list-of-things-to-do-differently-next-time.

Large chunk of sargassum sent into the vortech courtesy of my ####ing CUC.

Mermaid algae toppled over again, courtesy of my ####ing CUC.

Little white clam pulled out of his cave, ripped open and eaten courtesy of my ####ing CUC.

Salt - check.

Pepper - check.

Pot of boiling water - check.

:angry:

Large chunk of sargassum sent into the vortech courtesy of my ####ing CUC.

Mermaid algae toppled over again, courtesy of my ####ing CUC.

Little white clam pulled out of his cave, ripped open and eaten courtesy of my ####ing CUC.

Salt - check.

Pepper - check.

Pot of boiling water - check.

:angry:

:(

Warehouse41Ant

Dude, just briefly read through the thread. Your tank looks AMAZING. Puts my 20L to shame. :bowdown:

How do you like your T5 setup? I'm sure I missed it, but what kind is it?

every day, i mean, every friggin' day, my two little zoa colonies are knocked off their rock into some other coral and partially digested, thanks to my CUC.

le sigh.

Dude, just briefly read through the thread. Your tank looks AMAZING. Puts my 20L to shame. :bowdown:

How do you like your T5 setup? I'm sure I missed it, but what kind is it?

I like it a lot. It's the Current fixture a lot of the 20L owners on here are running. Single power cord and built-in timers are nice features.

Glad you like the tank!

So it is confirmed - Harlequin shrimp (or mine at any rate) will dine on frozen chocolate chip starfish.

I broke off a chunk of frozen starfish leg and tossed it in a glass of tank water. I then went to my violin lesson. The leg was in the glass of water for about 2 hours. I then dropped it in the tank, in a spot where I hoped he would nibble on it because I would actually be able to see him. He tends to hide in a cave during the light cycle.

This guy is not like the peppermint shrimp. The peppermint shrimp is a food seeking missile. I can drop food in the tank anywhere, and he sniffs it out and attacks within a minute.

So the leg was in the tank for a couple of hours. None of the hermits or nessarius snails mesed with it really. Finally I picked it up and dropped it closer to the Harlequin's cave. After a few minutes, it came out and walked past the leg. Did a little grooming of itself, then walked backwards up to the leg, turned around and stabbed it with his pincers.

He then lifted the whole thing up and drug it back into his cave.

So thank goodness for that, I was worried this was going to be a problem.

In other news, my little cup of ric frags got raided :( I've been able to locate a few of them scattered throughout the tank but quite a few are awol. Maybe this weekend I will be able to salvage a few during the WC. Oh well, another noob lesson.

Sweet new sig :) I've wanted to keep harlequin shrimp for a while now :( My girlfriend wont let me do the chop up/freeze thing with the starfish and rotating out seven or so live ones weekly is a bit of a chore.

nice progress, are you planning on going to the CMAS super-swap on feb 6? I haven't gone but i heard alot of good stories.

hope you don't mind, here's my 20l that i rescaped from a frag tank right around the same time you started yours.

FullView.jpg

Yep just the skimmer though one of these days I'm going to remember to stop and pick up a bag of floss and swap the skimmer out for an AC70 I have in the box here. I want to run that for a month and see if the nitrate/phosphate readings are any different. They've been at 0 with the skimmer. But the skimmer is loud and irritating for other reasons I've #####ed about in the thread here.

Don't mind your FTS, tank looks sick!

I hope to remember to go to that frag swap. I do intend to, but I have a really bad habit of remembering about things the day after they occur... Are you going to go? I take it you live in the area here.

Honestly I add the phtyo simply because I have a number of filter feeders and I'm erring on the side of keeping them alive. It could be doing absolutely nothing for all I know, but the only way to find out would be to stop adding it and see if the worms all die. A jar which looks like it's going to last about 4-6 weeks costs 7 bucks, so it's an expense I don't mind taking on.

Jury is out on the aminos. Haven't been doing it long enough to notice any big effect, and I only have the one tank so I don't really have a 'control' tank to compare to.

I don't dose 2 part, though I have it sitting in the cabinet. I see growth on the tips of my birds nest and there are specks of coraline all over the place. I also have a calciferous algae which is growing like you wouldn't believe in just the two weeks I've had it (will post pictures later), so it looks like there are enough of the 'basics' to keep everything thriving for right now. Alk always seems low to me (7) but again nothing is looking the worse for wear so I'm hesitant to start pouring stuff in.

Gotchya. I'm going to try and make some two part. I found a good recipe, simple too. Alk and cal. get kinda low so I think its about time to see if it makes things happier, which I'm sure it will.

im jealous of that new frogspawn

ive been meaning to ask you how to make a banner

i've got the picture for the banner I just don't know what to make it a link to my page

im jealous of that new frogspawn

ive been meaning to ask you how to make a banner

i've got the picture for the banner I just don't know what to make it a link to my page

For the banners I just use photoshop. To make it link, you wrap the link to your picture in a link to the first post of your thread. If you need help, shoot me a pm.

Gonna move that frogspawn up this weekend. Would like to see it get a little greener.

how are the harlequins doing? violinist you should make some 20L Club banners lol...love you your tank

Haha maybe I will.

Harlequin seems ok but I think it ended up ignoring that frag of starfish leg after the first night. I saw some crabs chewing it and he was nowhere to be seen. Also one of them molted, either him or the peppermint. I think it was the harlequin because the carcass looks a little fatter than what the peppermint shrimp usually leaves laying around.

I might break down tomorrow and buy another starfish and just throw it in alive. If it doesn't wreck the tank great, if it does I'll dump the shrimp.

This 20L is beautiful! im building one right now, im making it into an AIO though so its taking a bit longer than expected. good luck with the harlequin!

Picked up a live chocolate chip star. Shot some video of the harlequin going ninja on it lol. Cool to watch that little shrimp he-man the starfish over onto its back.

Also got a sweet deal on a ric rock! 45 bucks and there must be 8 large rics on this thing. Blue, orange and pinks. Did a little re-scaping as well. Bit of a sandstorm so pics later.

Archived