Pod Your Reef

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

Pics as requested...

The obligatory FTS

fts.jpg

Yes - I know it's only one post up but - c'mon! Did you see this FTS?

NICE! You sir have put together one slick looking reef!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys! It's been going really well. Only thing that is still a pain is the brownish algae that continues to lightly cover the large chunks of rubble in the sand. It's driving me freaking nuts. Thinking of dialing down my light cycle from 12 hours to 8 for a week or two and see if that helps.

wow, you keep your lights on for twelve hours? i've got PC's and i have my lights on from 9-7, and i still have algae EVERYWHERE. maybe you've discovered a secret of some kind?

callmesaul8889
Pics as requested...

The obligatory FTS

fts.jpg

Left Isle (btw, this is the 'real' color of the dottyback finally):

left.jpg

Right Isle:

right.jpg

This is what I was hoping for when I placed the zoas. I want a carpet of zoas covering that area, and here some of the colonies are finally starting to grow up against each other:

zoas.growing.jpg

Spreading, spreading:

zoas2.jpg

Enjoy!

B) holy brightness! i LOOOVE the colors, it looks awesome!

Yeah same here and 0 nitrates. Wtf the stuff is feeding on is beyond me.

B) holy brightness! i LOOOVE the colors, it looks awesome!

Thanks!

callmesaul8889
Yeah same here and 0 nitrates. Wtf the stuff is feeding on is beyond me.

i had a similar problem recently, i had a terrible attack of red slime.. water was perfect 0 phosphates 0 nitrates. i used red slime remover, and expected to see some kind of phosphate/nitrate readings after all the slime was gone, but nothing, everything has been dandy since

Picked out two half eaten chunks of starfish leg this morning. I think that's the end of the Harlequin's two week feast. I'll find out during the WC tomorrow if the middle of the starfish is still in there or if that's been devoured.

I'm also going to reduce the light cycle to 8 hours and see if that knocks out the algae. It's not much algae, you can't even make it out in the pics I posted here, but I can see it and it sucks. I want clean white sand! Or at least as clean as possible.

No one is going to believe this, but I swear it is true.

I went down to the CMAS frag swap. I had no intention of buying anything, I just wanted to check out the scene and see what's available.

Well I took my wife with me, and SHE wanted me to buy 3 corals... We walked around the whole show, I looked at all the displays and was ready to leave and she was like uhhh, wtf you aren't buying anything? What about these and those and that?

So, she picked out a neon green birdsnest (yes I already have little frags of this doing quite well), an ORA orange digitata and an ORA hyacinth birdsnest. I believe those are the correct names, but I'll put pics up later. All large frags, 4-5 inches, 20 bucks a pop.

On the way home she was talking about how she liked my idea of doing a large in-wall tank when we redo the basement...

No one is going to believe this, but I swear it is true.

I went down to the CMAS frag swap. I had no intention of buying anything, I just wanted to check out the scene and see what's available.

Well I took my wife with me, and SHE wanted me to buy 3 corals... We walked around the whole show, I looked at all the displays and was ready to leave and she was like uhhh, wtf you aren't buying anything? What about these and those and that?

So, she picked out a neon green birdsnest (yes I already have little frags of this doing quite well), an ORA orange digitata and an ORA hyacinth birdsnest. I believe those are the correct names, but I'll put pics up later. All large frags, 4-5 inches, 20 bucks a pop.

On the way home she was talking about how she liked my idea of doing a large in-wall tank when we redo the basement...

SWEET!

You should get this in writing before it's too late...

Man, no kidding!

Hey SoCal I met this guy who lives not far from me up in Wisconsin who raises a large variety of different nems. You'd have flipped out with what he brought. I got his card and I'll be visiting him when the hex is ready for some.

Some quick pics of the new corals. If all goes according to plan, these are just temporary guests in the 20L and will move to the hex this summer.

digi.jpg

green.birdnest.jpg

purple.birdnest.jpg

Haha, did the FOWLR plan even last through that first day?

Oh, I also saw a flatworm in the tank a bit ago. I tried to tweeze it off the glass but it floated off. I saw the dottyback doing his gunship-lining-up-on-target move next to it, so maybe he will take care of this before it's an issue.

hey violinist ive been following your thread for a while and i actually have a 20 long of my own with a sundial :D. i upgraded from a 10 gallon about a month ago and really like your ideas hope you dont mind if i borrow a few lol

Archived