SaltCritters.com

Matt's 3g JBJ Picotope

Clavius85

The problem with the PAR38's is somehow rigging two standard lamp fixtures over the tank.

The MP10 is overkill for a 3g. I mean, it works great. But I have it turned all the way down at the moment.

do you still geta a kinda WAVE movement or only the power constant?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do you still geta a kinda WAVE movement or only the power constant?

I have the MP10 on Reefcrest mode which is a randomized flow pattern. I guess you could try to get a wave going with pulse mode. But I highly doubt you would be able to do it in such a small tank.

I say go for the par38's and diy some simple light fixtures for both similar to what im using on my 3 gal. i spent about 20 dollars on the stuff to make my light fixture. just depends on if you can mount the conduit to something or make a base for the fixtures. could be easy could be just a p.i.t.a. you could make it work somehow though...cant wait to see what you can do with a 10 gal clavius good luck

I say go for the par38's and diy some simple light fixtures for both similar to what im using on my 3 gal. i spent about 20 dollars on the stuff to make my light fixture. just depends on if you can mount the conduit to something or make a base for the fixtures. could be easy could be just a p.i.t.a. you could make it work somehow though...cant wait to see what you can do with a 10 gal clavius good luck

Yeah I think I would like to do two PAR38's. That would probably be the cheapest option for me since I already have the one PAR38. I just can't think of a way to set it all up over the 10g...

if you knew exactly how high you wanted to mount the lamps, you could always do a hanging pendant such as one of these, or maybe find a nice track lighting fixture. i know they can be kind of expensive, but they look really nice. i have seen threads where people use them, but i can't recall what threads.

I was crusing around earlier and while looking through the 20gal long thread saw a picture of a guys tank with two par38's

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=239019

you could rig something up like that if it tickles your fancy.

Thanks for the link. That's a pretty interesting setup. Maybe I could do that and rig it so that the lamp portion would be adjustable up and down?

if you knew exactly how high you wanted to mount the lamps, you could always do a hanging pendant such as one of these, or maybe find a nice track lighting fixture. i know they can be kind of expensive, but they look really nice. i have seen threads where people use them, but i can't recall what threads.

Yeah I don't know how high I'm going to need the lamps. Those are nice fixtures though. I'll keep them in mind.

Thanks guys!

no problem! i am thinking of getting one of those pendant fixtures for my 6g when i move to a more permanent residence...although i will probably upgrade tanks to a 10g just as you are planning so i will be in the same boat as you looking for a nice fixture for 2 par bulbs. sometimes i think that the plethora of choices in this hobby is ridiculous lol. i need EASY choices haha

I have a 10 gal nano too, though I was not phased by having a fixture with overhang :P It is in the member's tanks section. I hope it could give you guys some help in deciding what to use in your 10 gals (even if that happens to be what NOT to use base on what I do use haha, because it sounds like you fellows would be against most of the equipment I use on the tank)

Neat, but I'd like to have the light fixture somehow attached to the rear of the stand that I'm going to build. Mainly so that I could adjust the height of the PAR38's.

I was thinking that you could hang it from some sort of bent conduit or something. That wouldn't be hard to do.

I was thinking that you could hang it from some sort of bent conduit or something. That wouldn't be hard to do.

I've thought about that. I'm just afraid that it would look ####ty.

Thanks Peytonk.

I think I am going to move everything over to a 10g at some point. I just need to find a solution for lighting and decide whether or not I want to drill it and create a sump or use a HOB filter. I have everything else. A local reefer has a 20" 70w Sunpod for sale but I'm not sure that would be enough light for what I want to do with the tank. OR I could buy another PAR38 and rig the two of them over the 10g somehow...

Anyway, I have some good news. I found a nice size Yellow Clown Goby at my LFS today and I saw it eating. So I decided to get it. I'll probably have to rig some acrylic as a top to keep it from going carpet surfing. I also got 3 Sexy Shrimp. Yay.

I think I'm going to be moving my stuff into a larger tank as well, and I've been contemplating drilling and adding a sump but it all seems so complex, expensive, and over my head right now. I think I'm going to buy a 17 gal Mr Aqua tank, and maybe use a canister or HOB instead of a sump.

2 par 38's would look nice over a 10. It would be really cool if you built something like this :

2pozm92.jpg

Glad to hear you've got a fish again! sexy shrimp are awesome, I have 2

Archived