Innovative Marine Aquariums

Matt's 3g JBJ Picotope

Clavius85

Yeah I'm going to start doing some more water changes. Instead of one a week, maybe two or three. I'm going to try and siphon out most of the cyano here in a minute once I have some saltwater mixed up to replace what I take out. And I guess I'll cut back my photoperiod to 6 hours for the time being.

Regardless, I'm probably going to get a hermit or two. I've never kept them before and I'm curious about them.

Thanks for your help!

MVP has some very small blue legs. I got a couple for my 3 gallon and they are running around the place like crazy. Just a thought may save you having to ship them!

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imo hermit crabs are more trouble than their worth. I have one zebra hermit in my tank and he never does anything other than annoy my coral or try to eat my snails. I have at least 10 shells lying around the tank but he prefers to kill snails instead. I feel bad killing the one I have now or otherwise hed be gone. I tried to banish him in my ac 70 but he got back in my tank somehow.

Imo hermit crabs are more trouble than their worth. I have one zebra hermit in my tank and he never does anything other than annoy my coral or try to eat my snails. I have at least 10 shells lying around the tank but he prefers to kill snails instead. I feel bad killing the one I have now or otherwise hed be gone. I tried to banish him in my ac 70 but he got back in my tank somehow.

Hmm... definitely re-thinking the hermit thing now.

Just did a water change and oh my god. I can't deal with this stupid Aquaclear HOB filter any more. What a piece of ####. ####ing pump stops if even the slightest bit of sand gets up into it. I'm ordering a Barracuda or some other AIO tank as soon as I can afford to do so.

Just did a water change and oh my god. I can't deal with this stupid Aquaclear HOB filter any more. What a piece of ####. ####ing pump stops if even the slightest bit of sand gets up into it. I'm ordering a Barracuda or some other AIO tank as soon as I can afford to do so.

Yep ac filters blow. I cant wait to upgrade this summer.

Noticed some bleaching of the top left bit of SPS. Not sure if it's because the PAR38 is too close or if it's because I dialed back my photoperiod.

and youre sure thats bleaching and not growth? bleaching means only skeleton left (in terms of SPS i guess) white tissue next to colored tissue can mean growth :)

I'm thinking the same thing.... from the one I got from mr coral but it looks like it is changing back to green from the brown it was. Also that coral came with a pal... Appears to have a barnacle attached.

Buy the Pre-filter. It's only offered as a Fluval Edge accessory though. I had the same problem with mine in my Fluval. Definitely check that out. And I hope you sell your Solana soon, I'd like to see all those sps in something like the barracuda.

Hey if setting up and running a reef tank is creepy, then yeah we're all creepy.:)

I'd just like to see a PAR38 over a pico in action, looks really nice in the pics.

We've got some decent LFS in Knoxville are there any I need to check out in Lex?

So if you guys had around $150-200 to spend on a setup, would you go with A: the PicoAquariums.com Barracuda or B: a used 12g Aquapod w/70w Sunpod and stand?

have you had any issues with keeping sps in a pico? I kinda wanna make an sps dominated pico. also in response to your question I guess it depends on what size tank you want. I've been looking at the barracuda, just not sure if I can really afford to keep another tank right now hah

its an SPS mystery...

I am probably too vague with this, but I do think the problem was the quick stocking.

That's certainly possible. However, I'm inclined to believe that it has something to do with my light. I'm thinking that it is too close to the tank. But with this fixture I can't really raise it up anymore.

I think I'm going to remove most of the SPS from the rock and place them on the sandbed.

could be the light too. I do think its way too intense for a 3 gal (which is why i didnt go with it myself) but these are SPS we're talking about. everyone says the par lamp is a nice choice for SPS because it provides so much intense light :)

too much of a spotlight? maybe the par isnt a very good idea for small tanks then...what do you think?

I think that is the case with this particular PAR38 by ecoxotic. The optics are 40 degrees. And from what I understand now that is very narrow. I think I may have to sell this light and get another from either Nanotuners or BoostLED.

40 is the narrower one. 80 would probably be better. no optics works for my LEDs (there is no need when the light is so close to the water and the tank is so shallow lol)

I fiddled with the light fixture a bit and the PAR38 is now about 14" above the water. It was maybe around 10" above it before. We'll see if this makes a difference...

Archived