Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Matt's 3g JBJ Picotope

Clavius85

thanks for saying the word magnet, and reminding of something very important. DO NOT place your float sensor anywhere near the powerhead. its ok if its close to the AC filter because that one's motor is kinda in the back, far from the sensor.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so let me get this straight...... you have a vortech on a 3g?

and i thought i've seen it all.

It was on my Solana. I broke down the Solana but I'm planning on using the Vortech on a future tank. May as well put it on the pico and put it to use in the meantime...

hey clavius where did you order your corals from and what all did you get? is that a favia and a milli? they look good whatever they are!

We ordered from the $10 frag section on Mr. Coral and got free shipping since we spent over $125. Corals were delivered to Coastie in Louisville and he was nice enough to bring down mine and ry05coupe's share. Unfortunately nothing was labeled so... we're not exactly sure what was what. We did our best to figure it out though. I'm pretty sure that the SPS piece on the right is a Strawberry Shortcake Acro. I dipped 'em in ReVive to be safe and I hope they all make it.

I think the next time I buy corals online I'm going to try LiveAquaria. I'm looking at one of the captive grown SPS frag packs that they have.

thats just what Mr. Coral calls them (he comes up with some wacky names for his corals :lol:)

I think Favia on the left, then some sort of LPS (when he opens take a pic to ID) and then that pink Millepora (Acropora millepora or something like that)

IMO you should have taken a little time between the addition of your fish and the addition of your first corals (monti doesnt count, you already had that one and you HAD to put it in this tank or the garbage lol)

IMO you should have taken a little time between the addition of your fish and the addition of your first corals (monti doesnt count, you already had that one and you HAD to put it in this tank or the garbage lol)

Oh, I don't disagree. But Coastie and ry05coupe were looking for one more person to order 2-3 $10 frags from Mr.Coral to get the free shipping. So I said, what the hell. But I'm going to see how these 3 do over the next few weeks before I add anything else. ;)

ive thought about ordering from there myself he looks like he has great stuff for very reasonable prices. the last couple of times ive ordered a frag pack from a guy on ebay that does a nice job and sends great sized frags. good luck with everything making it, sps can be finicky from my experience. ive got a tiny frag of ora green birdsnest that ill sell you for cheap in a month or so once if grows out if your interested, its become my favorite coral in my tank and the frag i got has grown like crazy since i got it. i need to get a good camera so i can get some pictures of my tank on here, i think im tired of just lurking haha

Great set-up! How do you like the reefkeeper lite? Are you planning to add on other probes? I am thinking of getting one myself.

By the way, I like john mclaughlin too! That Shakti album is timeless!

HAHA These definitely weren't huge (I got the impression they were bigger from the pictures online). Not that I am a pro by any means but Mr Coral left a lot to be desired. I won't say that I wasnt pleased because the corals that were nice were really nice. The free yellow polyps he shipped looked like cat poop (litterally). It had definitely seen better days. I am not convinced our order was 100% anyhow. Waiting for things to open up before I can confirm if everything with the order was correct.

BTW It was great to meet you. Hopefully we can meet up at that frag swap!

ive thought about ordering from there myself he looks like he has great stuff for very reasonable prices. the last couple of times ive ordered a frag pack from a guy on ebay that does a nice job and sends great sized frags. good luck with everything making it, sps can be finicky from my experience. ive got a tiny frag of ora green birdsnest that ill sell you for cheap in a month or so once if grows out if your interested, its become my favorite coral in my tank and the frag i got has grown like crazy since i got it. i need to get a good camera so i can get some pictures of my tank on here, i think im tired of just lurking haha

Yeah man, start a thread for your tank! I'm not sure if I'd order from Mr. Coral again. I'll give these frags some time and hopefully they make it. I haven't checked out ebay for corals yet. I need to do so. But the next place I buy corals from online will definitely be LiveAquaria. I've read too many good things about them. Sure, they cost a little more. But I bet that it's worth it. That'll be a couple of weeks in the future though at the earliest.

Great set-up! How do you like the reefkeeper lite? Are you planning to add on other probes? I am thinking of getting one myself.

By the way, I like john mclaughlin too! That Shakti album is timeless!

Man, I never thought anyone here would get my avatar. McLaughlin is the greatest. And yes, the first Shakti album really is timeless.

As for the RKL I've been happy with it since I got it updated. But updating the firmware was a #####. The thing nearly took a trip across the room I was so frustrated. It works now though. All it does now is turn my PAR38 on and off. But on my Solana it was perfect for controlling the Sunpod with all it's fans and LEDs, etc. I'm not sure if I'll order the SL1 or any other probes. As much as I would love to be able to monitor pH and salinity I don't know how it would look to have 2 more probes in the pico. Space is limited!

HAHA These definitely weren't huge (I got the impression they were bigger from the pictures online). Not that I am a pro by any means but Mr Coral left a lot to be desired. I won't say that I wasnt pleased because the corals that were nice were really nice. The free yellow polyps he shipped looked like cat poop (litterally). It had definitely seen better days. I am not convinced our order was 100% anyhow. Waiting for things to open up before I can confirm if everything with the order was correct.

BTW It was great to meet you. Hopefully we can meet up at that frag swap!

Yeah man, nice to meet you to. And thanks again for bringing the corals down. I'd have to agree with you about Mr. Coral. I'm not saying I wouldn't order from him again... but there are a few other places I'd like to try as well.

The frag swap is Saturday the 6th? I may actually be off that Saturday. If so then I'm there. If only to see what a frag swap is like. I may not buy anything.

It's only $5 so ya def worth it. Come out before hand and give me a call, I'll take you to aquaria and you can check out their stuff. They have some nice corals and some decent frags. And yes the frag swap is Nov 6th.

FYI those mushroom caps ry05coupe gave me just kicked my ass! hahaha oh well hopefully tomorrow -ish they will attach themselved to the rock I have them on.

I have been a big fan since his Mahavishnu Orchestra days. I loved the Love, Devotion, Surrender album with Mclaughlin and Santana. Listening to him opened up new doors for me like: coltrane, miles, dolphy, etc.

Good luck with the Pico!

hey coastie you think anyone will have any clams for sale at the frag swap. i really wanna get a clam and would like to check out the swap but and hour and a half is a long way to drive for me and i think there is a uk football game that day

I honestly have no clue but if you like I am thinking there prob will be SOMEONE with one (I know Aquatica here in Louisville has a few). But if you would like confirmation, PM me your number and when I go up there I will shoot you a text if they do and I will even go the extra mile to find out prices. Only issue is I don't know what time I am going up there so by the time I get up there it may be too late for you to get up there.

I can put forth the extra effort to go earlier though.

And it's not like you'd be missing a Cardinal game :P

FYI those mushroom caps ry05coupe gave me just kicked my ass! hahaha oh well hopefully tomorrow -ish they will attach themselved to the rock I have them on.

Haha those mushrooms are a PITA to get attatched. One easy thing to do is get a soapdish, fill it with LR ribble and just let them sit in it at the bottom of the tank. That way there is flow, but not too much, and they will attatch on their own over a few days / weeks.

Nice meeting you all again. Hopefully I'll have next SAT off too so I can run up there.

I stuck them on a rock I think will look awesome covered in shrooms and covered it with a tupperware containter!

They will attach or suffer the consequences haha.

I stuck them on a rock I think will look awesome covered in shrooms and covered it with a tupperware containter!

They will attach or suffer the consequences haha.

Last order I did was from PetSolutions. Decent sized frags and prices are reasonable. I generally order from their Pick of the Reef section.

Rudi

We just went for quantity over quality.....

In a solid tank.... Quantity can become quality. I need to see if MVP has anything worth getting. Their Acros tend to be to darn expensive though.

Rudi

In a solid tank.... Quantity can become quality. I need to see if MVP has anything worth getting. Their Acros tend to be to darn expensive though.

Rudi

The only things I buy from MVP are bleached that I know can recover. Everything else is priced ridiculously.

Archived