Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Matt's 3g JBJ Picotope

Clavius85

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yaaaa don't think my picotope will be that advanced....

My brother thinks I'm crazy because I have like $500 worth of equipment on a $40 tank. But, all this stuff came from my Solana.

My sister thinks I am insane because I am going nuts with this. I still have a 14g nano with stand sitting in the back of my truck that I need to return but I am too lazy because it involves shipping.

My sister thinks I am insane because I am going nuts with this. I still have a 14g nano with stand sitting in the back of my truck that I need to return but I am too lazy because it involves shipping.

Shipping sucks.

You're not kidding. I bought it from petco online but because I checked out using amazon I have to mail back the stuff. I tried to return it at the petsmart in frankfort but they'd only give me store credit. At this point and time I am thinking it was a good thing they didn't have any tanks in bigger than 20 gallons :D

you should test the ph in your solana to see if it is a lot different... then maybe it will solve the mystery of the dead shrimp....

Good idea... but I already cleaned and put the test kits away, lol. Maybe tomorrow.

Ok, I did something today and people are probably going to think that I'm crazy, or stupid, or both. To setup this pico I used sand, live rock and water from an established tank. Therefore, from what I understand, this thing should have little or no cycle. I've tested my water twice and it has been perfect. So before going to work today I stopped by the LFS because I had a 20% off coupon that was expiring soon... yeah, I know, big mistake. But anyway they had a nice looking Yellow Clown Goby and quite a few cleaner shrimp of different sizes. To make a long story short I walked out with the YCG and a small cleaner shrimp. I acclimated both using the method that is described on LiveAquaria. I didn't drip acclimate but I'm thinking that I should have because the cleaner shrimp didn't look so hot when i left for work. The YCG seemed alright but was hiding when I left. I dont know if it is the tank itself or if it was my acclimation but I'm definitely not optimistic about when i get home and see the tank tonight. So the lesson here is no matter how excited you are about a new tank don't rush it. And don't go within a 5 mile radius of your LFS as you will be tempted. I can only hope both the YCG and the shrimp are still alive and kicking when I get home tonight...

Oh and don't flame me guys. Atleast I'm being honest.

Just wait and see, and be sure to update us!

I actually don't drip acclimate anything anymore except for very sensitive inverts that are known to need long acclimations. Everything seems to do a lot better that way, so I'm happy with it. The shrimp might not care for it but I'm sure the YCG will be okay, unless it wasn't too great from the beginning.

hahaha what's sad is that my tank is fine and I passed on a skunk shrimp with 20% off today... Kinda surprised I did that. I am rooting for you though. If things aren't good with your tank let me know and we can figure out something to take care of those corals!

The YCG's color looked good and it didn't look emaciated like a lot of them do. I bought some of that new Instant Ocean cyclopeeze gel food as I've read that YCG's usually go for cyclopeeze. I basically acclimated them both the same way I have acclimated everything. Pour the critter and water from the bag into a bucket and then add some tank water every few minutes. The only thing that I DIDN'T do was float the bag for 20 minutes beforehand as that really isn't possible in a pico. So if either or both of these guys kick the bucket then either my acclimation wasn't good enough or my theory that the tank is fine because everything came from an established tank is busted. We shall see when I get home @ 10.

The only thing that I DIDN'T do was float the bag for 20 minutes beforehand as that really isn't possible in a pico.

I do this all the time. why is it impossible for you? you just take some tank water out to compensate for the volume of the bag. plus you also pour half of the water from the bag out. thats how i do it.

I do this all the time. why is it impossible for you? you just take some tank water out to compensate for the volume of the bag. plus you also pour half of the water from the bag out. thats how i do it.

I didnt think about doing that. I just looked at the bag and then the tiny tank and said that ain't gonna work. If I ever add anything else to the tank I'll do what you do.

I dont think that not floating will matter that much unless the water in the bucket got cold while you were acclimating. Hopefully they pull through. New livestock always makes me nervous. As you probably saw my clam got lit up by a ric after one night in my tank. Buying stuff is always a gamble IMO.

Yeah, I saw about your clam. I hope it makes it. As for buying livestock, I agree. Especially when your LFS isn't that nice (like mine). I've never ordered from LiveAquaria but I've heard and read so many great things about them that I wish I could get all my livestock from them. That's probably the only place from which I would truly be comfortable knowing that I was most likely getting higher quality livestock than you normally find at your LFS. Too bad the shipping costs so much.

Out of curiosity, where did you end up getting the YCG and shrimp?

PM'd

ebay is a nice place for deals. you can find deals that have lower shipping (notably the frag pack deals)

I've never looked for corals on eBay. But I'll check it out.

Archived