Cultivated Reef

Matt's 3g JBJ Picotope

Clavius85

Ive been in the market for an RO/DI as well. I have been using distilled water but am getting sick of running back and forth. I have heard some good things about mighty mites...might have to check them out.

It consistently gave me 0 TDS water for a year. Then the TDS got up to like 2 or 3. So I changed the filters (not the membrane) and it started giving me 0 TDS water again. It worked great for the amount of water that I needed for my Solana. I changed 4g a week plus top off water. So I think it will work perfectly for the small amount of water I need for this pico.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know how many GPD it got? I need about 4 gallons a week.

You can get away with distilled with tanks of our size, but it really is a hassle and ends up costing more in the end especially when you include gas to get there. The nearest walmart to me is like 30 minutes away its a real pain.

the new tank is coming along nicely

looks like your adjusting to the small space well!

how do you like your par 38?

Thanks. I love the PAR38! It is perfect for this tank.

Do you know how many GPD it got? I need about 4 gallons a week.

You can get away with distilled with tanks of our size, but it really is a hassle and ends up costing more in the end especially when you include gas to get there. The nearest walmart to me is like 30 minutes away its a real pain.

The Mighty Mite is 50gpd. http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI

Woke up to a loud grinding noise at around 3 this morning. I think a tiny dwarf cerith snail somehow ended up inside the Vortech wet side. As soon as the light comes on today I'll inspect it and see what the deal is. I hope it still works!

Woke up to a loud grinding noise at around 3 this morning. I think a tiny dwarf cerith snail somehow ended up inside the Vortech wet side. As soon as the light comes on today I'll inspect it and see what the deal is. I hope it still works!

damn that sucks. You might want to invest in a foam cover to keep those idiots out of there. Would suck to lose a 200 dollar pump to a 30 cent snail.

damn that sucks. You might want to invest in a foam cover to keep those idiots out of there. Would suck to lose a 200 dollar pump to a 30 cent snail.

At first I figured a snail had been sucked up into the Aquaclear based on the noise. So I frantically unplugged that. But the noise remained so I then unplugged the Vortech. I think I have a foam cover in the box it came in. Looks like I'll probably have to put it on.

I put the foam cover on the Vortech wet side. Man, you talk about u-g-l-y. And it's catching food and stuff like a filter. I don't think this is going to work...

IMG_1596.jpg

Just ordered a new RO/DI. Went with the Air, Water & Ice Mighty Mite again. It was perfect for my Solana and will be great for the little water I'll need for this pico.

Just fed the tank with some frozen Cyclops hoping that the goby would come out of his hole to get a bite to eat. He didn't. But I know he's alive as I lifted up the rock that has his hiding place and he swam out into the open. Not trying to terrorize the little guy but I gotta know if he's still alive.

Strange he didnt go for cyclopeeze...little gobies can be very shy though. Has he been eating at all? I think that he will come out though and eat once he gets hungry so there are no other fish.

I also agree that foam cover looks haggard. That would annoy me looking all the crap accumulating in it..

I'm not sure if he's eaten anything. He may have been able to get some cyclops from his cave as I put a good amount in the tank.

And I took the foam cover off of the Vortech.

Just curious, what do you guys feed corals/filter feeders? I bought this Nano Reef Coral Food which is made by Ocean Nutrition. But at my LFS today I was looking at stuff like Kent Marine Zoomax, Chromaplex, etc. Would either of these be beneficial? Or what would you recommend?

Here are the foods I currently have on hand:

-Hikari Marine-S pellets

-Ocean Nutrition Nano Reef Fish Food

-Ocean Nutrition Nano Reef Coral Food

-Tetra Micro-Crabs (cyclopeeze granules)

-Instant Ocean Cyclop-eeze Gel (new stuff, bought it to try it out)

-San Francisco Bay Brand frozen Cyclops

-Selcon (not food, but food related)

I just gave away a bunch of other food since I sold off my Solana. But I'm a firm believer that you can never have too much food and that you should mix it up when feeding.

i approve of having as many food choices a possible, no matter how crazy it may be. I remember i used to feed my FW tank 12 different kinds of food once. fish loved me. lol

I feed two little fishies Zooplan once a week in my pico. i feed heavily, enough to get the water cloudy, and i do a water change the next day. If I had your coral food, I'd feed my tank with that too :)

I'll probably get some other type of food down the line.

I moved it around because I decided to setup the Tunze differently. Instead of having the optical sensor and the float switch on the same magnet I put them each on separate magnets. That way I can have the water level be higher without the float switch going off.

second setup looks best IMO.... but you should see my arm it trumps all! Just bought an AC70 to turn into a fuge. Was spray painting and well..... kinda spray painted my arm!

Coral tomorrow BTW.... in case you needed a reminder!

Placed another order with PremiumAquatics:

-Prime Reef Flake 1oz

-2x Chemi-Pure Elite 6.5oz

-ESV Bionic Calcium Buffer System 64 fl. oz

-Basic Coral Frag Kit

-Boston Aqua Frag DISCS - Bag of 15

-Selcon

Archived