Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Matt's 3g JBJ Picotope

Clavius85

I traded the original Picotope I had for frags. But now that I'm taking down my Solana I decided to go ahead and order another Pico to play with. It should be here Tuesday. Pics when it arrives (again)!

Here's the plan: On my Solana I had some high-tech stuff that I decided to keep for future use rather than sell. Like a Vortech MP10, Tunze Osmolator, and a ReefKeeper Lite. All of that equipment, except for maybe the Vortech, will be going onto this pico. I also ordered a 25w Stealth Pro heater and I already have an Aquaclear 20 that will be going on this pico. Sometime in the future I plan on building an LED fixture or purchasing a PAR38 to go over this thing. I figure that having the Tunze and the RKL will make caring for this pico much easier and less time consuming. Hopefully less time consuming than my Solana as water changes will be very small, etc. I plan on stocking it with a Yellow Clown Goby and maybe my cleaner shrimp that is still in my Solana at the moment. Let the mayhem begin! :lol:

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I traded the original Picotope I had for frags. But now that I'm taking down my Solana I decided to go ahead and order another Pico to play with. It should be here Tuesday. Pics when it arrives (again)!

Here's the plan: On my Solana I had some high-tech stuff that I decided to keep for future use rather than sell. Like a Vortech MP10, Tunze Osmolator, and a ReefKeeper Lite. All of that equipment, except for maybe the Vortech, will be going onto this pico. I also ordered a 25w Stealth Pro heater and I already have an Aquaclear 20 that will be going on this pico. Sometime in the future I plan on building an LED fixture or purchasing a PAR38 to go over this thing. I figure that having the Tunze and the RKL will make caring for this pico much easier and less time consuming. Hopefully less time consuming than my Solana as water changes will be very small, etc. I plan on stocking it with a Yellow Clown Goby and maybe my cleaner shrimp that is still in my Solana at the moment. Let the mayhem begin! :lol:

Lol I'm glad you didn't entirely leave the scene. I actually just set up a 2.5 gallon quarantine tank. I was about to buy this last week when a friend of mine offered me a 2.5 gallon tank.

Lol I'm glad you didn't entirely leave the scene. I actually just set up a 2.5 gallon quarantine tank. I was about to buy this last week when a friend of mine offered me a 2.5 gallon tank.

It was too hard to leave completely. I have this nice equipment that I didn't want to sell. But I also don't want to leave it sitting in a box. I was going to setup a 10g freshwater tank. But while there are some really nice planted tanks I really don't feel like getting into CO2 and all that jazz. So I'll just setup this pico with a tiny fish and start collecting corals again. Only problem is that I'm going to have to buy another RO/DI unit as I sold mine. But that's no big deal. I'll just get another Mighty Mite from Air, Water & Ice.

Congratulations! Good luck. It's a solid tank. (Check for leaks though of course) ;)

Thanks! I really liked the first one I had. I just didn't have time then for two tanks. I'm hoping that with the Tunze Osmolator ATO that this pico will be relatively easy to maintain. I'm planning on using the stock light for the near future. But I would like to either build an LED setup or buy a PAR38 to light this thing.

I have seen it on a 2.5 or 3 gal i dont remember. a bit too odd looking lol. also was on someones 5 gal and seemed more fit for it.

I have seen it on a 2.5 or 3 gal i dont remember. a bit too odd looking lol. also was on someones 5 gal and seemed more fit for it.

Yeah, it'd probably look out of place. But I'm going to stick it on there to see when I get the tank.

Another question: Would the PAR38 be a good light for this picotope?

lol MP10

unfortunate that the light broke but good to see it wasnt the tank (that happened to mine the first time i ordered it)

Wow you totally have that picotope hooked up big time. That should be very low maintenance. I have a k-nano 420 in a 2.5 gallon, and anything that settles at the bottom is swooped up to the filter in a matter of minutes! are you gonna keep it bare-bottom? You should paint the bottom with that rock spray-paint. I did it and looks really good.

lol MP10

unfortunate that the light broke but good to see it wasnt the tank (that happened to mine the first time i ordered it)

I emailed PetSolutions to see if they could send me a new light. If not, I think I can fix it with superglue because I really don't want to pack this thing back up and then send it back for a new one.

Wow you totally have that picotope hooked up big time. That should be very low maintenance. I have a k-nano 420 in a 2.5 gallon, and anything that settles at the bottom is swooped up to the filter in a matter of minutes! are you gonna keep it bare-bottom? You should paint the bottom with that rock spray-paint. I did it and looks really good.

Nope, no bare bottom. I don't really care for that look. I'll put some sand from my Solana in it. I will paint the back black to hide the equipment and cords.

New light or you fixed it?

It's sort of fixed. I still need to superglue it. Hopefully that will hold until I get a PAR38 or build an LED setup.

or get a viper HQI 70W. with that pump and a MH you can grow mad SPS ;)

Even the 70w Viper is over $150. For that amount of money I'd probably just get the PAR38 and then get some frags later on.

ok :)

each to his own opinion. :lol:

I would probably get it if it wasn't so expensive. I love MH. But it looks like best option for this tank will be LEDs.

I would probably get it if it wasn't so expensive. I love MH. But it looks like best option for this tank will be LEDs.

I'm with you there, I would get that MH in a heart beat, but i already upgraded my lights on my pico twice and thats around $200 dumped already x_x

I kinda wish I could have planned first and got the (arguably)best light right off the bat. but i settle for LEDs cuz they have the perk of looking at my corals under RB Crees :P

Hopefully I can get this thing started soon. I plan on painting the back tomorrow. And I'm still in the process of selling all of my livestock out of my Solana. I just have my two ocellaris clowns and a cleaner shrimp left. Once I sell the clowns I'll steal some sand and rock from the Solana and put it in the pico. I may have to take a hammer and chisel to my live rock though. All I have are large pieces. Then once I sell my SunPod I'll probably go ahead and purchase a PAR38. That's the plan... at the moment.

Archived