Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Drift Monkey's Picotope

Drift Monkey

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey
Isn't there a pc. of hard tubing with curve in it that you can mod into the skimmer pipe?

P2079.jpg

That might work depending on the diameter...I just hate that it's green. <_<

Nice little hack there! How's it working for you? Can you see dust on the water?

Thanks! It's working pretty well, there is not much on the surface now...way less than before.The AC still moves around the water too much, making the skimmer less effective I think. Some of the bits just just float around and don't get caught for a while. If I modded the AC intake, I think that would be greatly reduced.

I'm stealing your idea. K thanks

Steal away! Just give me credit! :haha:

Drift Monkey

Goodies arrived! omgomgomg

205219_10150137626681137_519406136_6598751_6423958_n.jpg

I have to say that I am extremely disappointed with the hydor pico evo-mag's mounting bracket...I've never seen anything so flimsy! It snapped as I lowered it into the water, hell it looked like it was already about snap when I was pushing the thing into the magnet holder. :angry:

I superglued two suction cups onto my pump so that I could avoid using the mounting bracket. Worked like a charm.

However, on mine the power cord shoots out of the side, not the back, so I have to mount it on the side of my tank. At least the cord on yours sticks out the back so you can avoid having a wire coming from a random side of your tank. ><

Drift Monkey
That really sucks man. I have had no issues with mine at all. what are you planning to do? not use the pump?

It still works. I feel like the 180gph is overrated, but it's nice and small at least. I might just super glue the bracket to the power head permanently.

I superglued two suction cups onto my pump so that I could avoid using the mounting bracket. Worked like a charm.

However, on mine the power cord shoots out of the side, not the back, so I have to mount it on the side of my tank. At least the cord on yours sticks out the back so you can avoid having a wire coming from a random side of your tank. ><

Yeah...some superglue action is in my future i think...<_<

On the bright side, it is really quiet, and it does provide enough power to break up the AC70's flow though. I haven't really decided where to point it though...Maybe give the back side some lovin...:haha:

Drift Monkey

1st week update:

FTS

208626_10150137705001137_519406136_6599382_5769131_n.jpg

Another FTS under my room's spot lamps

198943_10150137705131137_519406136_6599384_3956907_n.jpg

Test results

200702_10150137721451137_519406136_6599490_5753237_n.jpg

pH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 40 ppm

SG: 1.0.23

Temp: ~77

Weird, no nitrites. Meh.

Looks awesome. One question tho, the water level seems high with all the pumps on. Does it flow over the top when everything is off? Cause i know mine increases a bit when the ac70 is shut off.

the higher the water level in the tank the less water needs to pour out of the AC70 to equalize. up to a point, you still need to leave some room lol.

lol yea i can see that. I have mine like 3/4 in below to tope of the tank and when everything is off it leaves like 1/4 of an inch room.

Drift Monkey
Looks awesome. One question tho, the water level seems high with all the pumps on. Does it flow over the top when everything is off? Cause i know mine increases a bit when the ac70 is shut off.

The clearance is roughly a few millimeters with the AC70 off...I need to remember to shut off the pico evo at the same time or it might spill a bit! :o

the higher the water level in the tank the less water needs to pour out of the AC70 to equalize. up to a point, you still need to leave some room lol.

Exactly...but I always try to push it to the max...sometimes it backfires but, meh! What can I say...I live on the "edge." :haha:

Weird, no nitrites. Meh.

Well if your comparing it to my tank, then yes that is very odd :P

Usually from what I've seen on cycles nitrites are rarely present. Especially sense you've had diatoms recently you are probably in the second portion of your cycle.

My pico is kind of an anomaly IMO at least.

Drift Monkey
Well if your comparing it to my tank, then yes that is very odd :P

Usually from what I've seen on cycles nitrites are rarely present. Especially sense you've had diatoms recently you are probably in the second portion of your cycle.

My pico is kind of an anomaly IMO at least.

Yeah, diatoms moved in within a week for me.

I just took this one...they're real thick now...

208468_10150139327731137_519406136_6610944_177068_n.jpg

Always a good sign once they show up. Sure they make the tank look like crap, but at least you know things are moving along. How long have you had them?

Hey I don't mean to hijack just trying to find the few people I've met who are online. I believe you were one of the people who suggest I shut off my skimmer during the cycling of my tank. I just got home from out of town and shut it down, but because I am not using another filter like the AC70 I have no water movement at all. Are you supposed to cycle the tank with your water sitting stale like that?

Drift Monkey
Always a good sign once they show up. Sure they make the tank look like crap, but at least you know things are moving along. How long have you had them?

A few days...maybe since Wed/Thurs.

Hey I don't mean to hijack just trying to find the few people I've met who are online. I believe you were one of the people who suggest I shut off my skimmer during the cycling of my tank. I just got home from out of town and shut it down, but because I am not using another filter like the AC70 I have no water movement at all. Are you supposed to cycle the tank with your water sitting stale like that?

It should be fine, but what I would really suggest is leave the actual water-moving element on and turn the skimming element off (if that's possible?).

Yea I saw a small amount if trites and the next thing I knew I had diatoms. Cuc time soon.

Yeah...for that I was thinking nano conch snails again (if I can find them(). I really like colonista snails too, but I can't really find a source for them either. Stomatellas I want as well, but yup, you guessed it, no source. I really like aquacultured snails...the fact that they breed well in our tanks is a huge plus for me!

Otherwise, I'll probably just get dwarf ceriths, nassarius, and some nerites to round it out. Any suggestion to how many of each...gonna maybe try to split something like this with a local guy.

That cuc seems fine as long as you split it with someone lol. I have some stomatellas because they came in on frag from my lfs lol. I would email john at reefcleaners and see what he suggests. I'm probably going to order some stuff from him soon. The damn nerites don't touch the rocks lol so I may need some ceriths and a nassarius for the sand.

Drift Monkey
That cuc seems fine as long as you split it with someone lol. I have some stomatellas because they came in on frag from my lfs lol. I would email john at reefcleaners and see what he suggests. I'm probably going to order some stuff from him soon. The damn nerites don't touch the rocks lol so I may need some ceriths and a nassarius for the sand.

Yeah I filled out their "custom cuc" email form, I'll probably get a response back soon.

Yeah, splitting that cuc pack is a good deal. Free shipping ftw! With the way my cycle is going, it looks like I'll need one by the end of need weekish.

Edit: not sure how I missed this, but it looks about right for our tanks! Might just order that instead.

Archived