Coral Vue Hydros

Drift Monkey's Picotope

Drift Monkey

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey
I also think the scape looks awesome. The crescent shape rockwork is definitely my favorite. Now its time to add some sand.

Thanks! Yeah I liked that shape too...I swear we took an hour to pick the rocks out...:P Speaking of sand...

Agree with gritchie. Thats an awesome crescent scape. ;) Better than I can current;y come up with

Can we get an up-skir.. I mean straight on shot (FTS)?

Thank you! Just keep messing with it...you'll come up with something you like.

Up-skirt...

190161_10150132948336137_519406136_6556335_2786016_n.jpg

I know y'all can't tell, but I moved it around a tiny bit...:lol:

you has my name! omgomgomg

:naughtydance:

I think it looks even better with the sand. I brought my girl with me to pic out rocks case she is a teacher and is creative but she got distracted and walked around looking at everything while I picked the rocks lol. And then made me assure her nothing was going to crawl out of the bag and onto her. Anyway enough rambling, what are you stocking plans?

Drift Monkey
I think it looks even better with the sand. I brought my girl with me to pic out rocks case she is a teacher and is creative but she got distracted and walked around looking at everything while I picked the rocks lol. And then made me assure her nothing was going to crawl out of the bag and onto her. Anyway enough rambling, what are you stocking plans?

Thanks, so do I...looks way more natural with sand. That's funny because I also took my girl with me...hell, she was the one who had her arms all in the rock tanks searching for potential pieces, more so than I was! :haha:

As far as stocking plans, I'm gonna start with softies (like zoas, shrooms. gsp, etc) until I feel the tank is stabilized. Oh, and some maxi-minis are beginning to look like a must for me. :happy: I do want to see how far I can go with these LEDs, but I'm gonna try to patient. I really dig inverts, so I'm def looking at sexy shrimp, porcelain crabs, pom pom crab, etc...possibly even a pistolshrimp/goby combo! :o

So is it bad to say that I agree with the comment of I don't know why I like it, but I do? :P

Seriously though as soon as I saw your top down I understood. That little ledge in the middle that makes a shallow cave. Good stuff.

Drift Monkey
So is it bad to say that I agree with the comment of I don't know why I like it, but I do? :P

Seriously though as soon as I saw your top down I understood. That little ledge in the middle that makes a shallow cave. Good stuff.

Naw, not at all. I tend to just kinda throw rocks together to make a shape, I never really plan the layout out.

Yeah the top down gives a better view of the layout I think. Thanks for the compliments! :happy:

Drift Monkey

Just a thought...anyone running a AC surface skimmer? I was thinking of running it or building my own surface skimmer...but with the limited room in the picotope, it'll probably be a big eyesore.

Just a thought...anyone running the AC surface skimmer? I was thinking of running it or building my own surface skimmer...but with the limited room in the picotope,it'll probably be a big eyesore.

Im not sure how that thing CANT be an eye sore.

The sand makes your scape look even nicer. I should get my sand tomorrow.

Drift Monkey
Im not sure how that thing CANT be an eye sore.

The sand makes your scape look even nicer. I should get my sand tomorrow.

Yeah...even the smaller ones some other members have built still stick out way too much on our small tanks.

...and thanks! I agree. Can't wait to see how your scape shapes up w/sand.

A surface skimmer would be nice but would take up way too much room. Room for coral or room for a surface skimmer... ill choose corals lol.

Drift Monkey
A surface skimmer would be nice but would take up way too much room. Room for coral or room for a surface skimmer... ill choose corals lol.

Yeah, I agree. It takes up too much space for the job it does...

On another note...I think I'm starting to get diatoms...

Thanks for the inspiration I've read just about everyone's thread on their Picos to get an idea of what I wanted to do. Your rockwork is awesome! Very natural looking. I started my own pico but my thread is pretty barren right now, I hope to see you around there I'll be following this closely.

Drift Monkey
Thanks for the inspiration I've read just about everyone's thread on their Picos to get an idea of what I wanted to do. Your rockwork is awesome! Very natural looking. I started my own pico but my thread is pretty barren right now, I hope to see you around there I'll be following this closely.

Awesome, thanks! I love this little tanks. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am bound and determined to find or make a surface skimmer that 1. Is not an eyesore and 2. Doesn't take up our whole tank. I'm tired of the film on the surface of my water. I really like your scape btw. A lot...

Drift Monkey
I am bound and determined to find or make a surface skimmer that 1. Is not an eyesore and 2. Doesn't take up our whole tank. I'm tired of the film on the surface of my water. I really like your scape btw. A lot...

I saw another thread a while back where someone used a U pipe and attached the extra inlet tube's snail guard head to it. I actually might try making one this weekend...hmm..

Drift Monkey

Diatoms abloomin'!

206262_10150137153931137_519406136_6594736_5344293_n.jpg

I'm not sure what compelled me to do this but...

Presenting, ghetto surface skimmer!

206326_10150137154156137_519406136_6594738_8166162_n.jpg

208759_10150137154476137_519406136_6594739_4190509_n.jpg

It took me a longer than I'll admit to "create" this using the stock picotope filter...but it seems to be working...:haha: I might do this to the AC70 intake (but not this ghetto).

It probably won't be a permanent fixture..but I thought y'all might get a chuckle out of it! :haha:

omgomgomg diatoms lol. And awesome ghetto surface skimmer haha. Isn't it funny how you can picture something in your head and be like oh that won't take long and then it takes like 3 times that amount of time.
Drift Monkey
omgomgomg diatoms lol. And awesome ghetto surface skimmer haha. Isn't it funny how you can picture something in your head and be like oh that won't take long and then it takes like 3 times that amount of time.

For sure...cutting the tubing the right length, twisting/shoving the crap out of the tubing to get it to fit, trying to find a way to make the tubing stay curved upright...serious business! :haha:

Lol see the trick is to have plenty of beer on hand when attempting these projects. It makes it a lot more interesting lol

Drift Monkey
Lol see the trick is to have plenty of beer on hand when attempting these projects. It makes it a lot more interesting lol

Sadly, that will have to wait until tonight...I'm supposed to be studying for exams for tomorrow...<_<

Drift Monkey
Water and tank looks incredibly clean in your shots.

:haha: :haha: :haha: DIATOMS! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Yeah I'm pretty anal about it...thanks for noticing! :P

DIATOMS! :haha: My new API test kit should be come in today...I wonder what my levels are at...:ninja:

Yeah I'm pretty anal about it...thanks for noticing! :P

DIATOMS! :haha: My new API test kit should be come in today...I wonder what my levels are at...:ninja:

Knowing the API test kits, they are probably better than you are about to test for :D

Kidding, but my API ammonia test kit is BRIGHT YELLOW with RODI, light green with my tank water. Had my LFS and a friend test my tank water with a strip test and with an Elos ammonia test, respectively, and each were bright yellow. So annoying. The label at the top shows the date of creation, not the expiration date, so it's hard to know exactly when a kit is "bad." Anyways, rambling.

(And I checked to make sure I didn't accidentally have the freshwater kit :P)

Drift Monkey
Knowing the API test kits, they are probably better than you are about to test for :D

Kidding, but my API ammonia test kit is BRIGHT YELLOW with RODI, light green with my tank water. Had my LFS and a friend test my tank water with a strip test and with an Elos ammonia test, respectively, and each were bright yellow. So annoying. The label at the top shows the date of creation, not the expiration date, so it's hard to know exactly when a kit is "bad." Anyways, rambling.

(And I checked to make sure I didn't accidentally have the freshwater kit :P)

Someone on another forum asked API an got this response:

In response to your question, each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on

the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture.

Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of

2002. Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, and GH all last for three years.

Nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH and Salt Level test

are good for 5 years.....

Archived