SaltCritters.com

Drift Monkey's Picotope

Drift Monkey

Sweet that's what I got. My parents just came by with an early birthday gift. They got me an all blue BoostLED bulb. It's so sweet

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey
Sweet that's what I got. My parents just came by with an early birthday gift. They got me an all blue BoostLED bulb. It's so sweet

Just for actinic shots or what?

224609_10150172786446137_519406136_6758948_4562449_n.jpg

Crabs crabbin' around.

224571_10150172786731137_519406136_6758949_4788651_n.jpg\

New (temporary) fuge light! :P Maybe the chaeto will grow back...

Wait. You're running two PARs on this pico? I had no idea.

Drift Monkey
Wait. You're running two PARs on this pico? I had no idea.

:haha: Actually I'm technically running 3 right now! It's only temporary though and it's not intended for this setup.

So...do I win the award for the most grossly over lit pico? :P

Just for actinic shots or what?

Mainly for my enjoyment cause of the colors. I tried to get some pics with it but they didnt come out. Going to have to mess with the settings on my phone a little more. I'll try when i get back home on sunday from my mini vacation.

Drift Monkey
Mainly for my enjoyment cause of the colors. I tried to get some pics with it but they didnt come out. Going to have to mess with the settings on my phone a little more. I'll try when i get back home on sunday from my mini vacation.

You gonna run it with the other bulb?

Yea im going to put it on an hour before the main light and leave it on until an hour after the main light is off. I dont have a second fixture yet so i want to see how it looks with both on at the same time so i have to get one. Im hoping for more of a blue look.

Drift Monkey
Yea im going to put it on an hour before the main light and leave it on until an hour after the main light is off. I dont have a second fixture yet so i want to see how it looks with both on at the same time so i have to get one. Im hoping for more of a blue look.

That would be a bit to blue for me...

Drift Monkey

208770_10150172903426137_519406136_6760042_6325370_n.jpg

GSP.

221928_10150172903811137_519406136_6760045_2591699_n.jpg

Pulsating Silver-tipped Xenia.

The two that could eventually take over this tank! :P

- bonus if you can ID the movie playing in the background!
igotreefermadness
Ya xeinas are a must they are cool to wacth.

Yea exactly, and when your try showin off your tank to a girl and they're like "so there are coral in here?" you don't have to explain how your colorful rocks are sps lol. Their natural movement makes it easier for non-reef enthusiasts to understand they're living.

Drift Monkey

So I think my nerites are spawning...I see egg sacs near and on my powerhead and the other day I spied what appeared to be a tiny, white, nerite scooting along the glass. Wish I coulda taken a pic!

white nerite might have been a collonista snail, nerites do not to my knowledge lay eggs sacs that look like other snails'

That is they do not lay many eggs in a clear mucous sac stuck to a surface. they lay one sesame seed-looking thing on the glass. it look like one white/tan calcereous egg on the glass. That is nerite eggs.

Drift Monkey
white nerite might have been a collonista snail, nerites do not to my knowledge lay eggs sacs that look like other snails'

That is they do not lay many eggs in a clear mucous sac stuck to a surface. they lay one sesame seed-looking thing on the glass. it look like one white/tan calcereous egg on the glass. That is nerite eggs.

I'm not sure it could be a collonista (I wish though!) unless I had a population I have never, ever seen. The baby snail was def round in shape and didn't resemble anything else in the tank but the nerites...hmmm...

I guess I'll continue observing them and see what happens! :happy:

are you kidding?

collonistas are mad ninjas. In the day time you can't really tell if a tank has them, they are mostly nocturnal. If you got one or two on a recent frag, you may not have seen them because its really hard to find something that small in the rockwork. They hide deep in the pores.

Nice, I really enjoy watching xenia and gsp in my tank. I don't understand how some reefers consider it a pest. When are you getting your 60-F?

reefers consider it a pest becuase it spreads easily, regenerates well and it will sting prized corals to death or plain annoy sessile animals.

They are good corals when they are controlled in a mixed reef, or have a tank for themselves.

reefers consider it a pest becuase it spreads easily, regenerates well and it will sting prized corals to death or plain annoy sessile animals.

They are good corals when they are controlled in a mixed reef, or have a tank for themselves.

Sometimes typing doesn't capture expression quite right. My previous quote was more of surprise.

Drift Monkey
are you kidding?

collonistas are mad ninjas. In the day time you can't really tell if a tank has them, they are mostly nocturnal. If you got one or two on a recent frag, you may not have seen them because its really hard to find something that small in the rockwork. They hide deep in the pores.

It's a possibility...but I watch my tank frequently at night and have never seen 'em. The tank I got the frags from didn't have 'em either...but they could be ninja-ing me. :ninja: I'd be happy to have 'em though! :D

Nice, I really enjoy watching xenia and gsp in my tank. I don't understand how some reefers consider it a pest. When are you getting your 60-F?

It's because they can take over tanks if not kept under control. I find they add that bit of color/movement that is pretty hard to match otherwise. 60-Fs won't be in stock 'till the end of the week...I got a hole burning in my pocket...:P

It can be a "pest" but everything has it's place. Keep in under control and they won't be a problem. People should know the perceived "risks" before putting things into their tank...if you want a LPS or SPS dominated tank, START with them! ;)

Drift Monkey
That video is awesome. I love the silver tipped xenia. Trying to figure out the movie is driving me crazy too.

Frags? :P No one is guessing the movie! :lol:

Archived