SaltCritters.com

SoCal's 20H EssPeeEss Reef

Arkayology

That sucks about the clam!

Sorry to hear... Hope all else is well.

Thanks man.

I may not get another clam. I am already having problems with Ca and Alk swings and I don't need more adding to it...

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's new here? Didn't I read you had some growth shots to post?

I have been busy. I will try and get some new shots this weekend.

I like the look of the new scape!!

Thanks man.

What's the brand of the powder? I assume it's cheaper and lasts longer than the liquid. I'm blowing through a couple bottles of each every month.

What's the brand of the powder? I assume it's cheaper and lasts longer than the liquid. I'm blowing through a couple bottles of each every month.

Seachem powder. I am still going on the first two that I have bought. They are pretty concentrated. I am thinking of switching to b-ionic though.

Buy or build?

Stunner strips are Inexpensive and easy. Cruz did a pretty cool mod on his mh to add the strips.

Rapidled has the 1 inch heatsinks and actinic supplement kits, but you have to build them.

Buy or build?

Stunner strips are Inexpensive and easy. Cruz did a pretty cool mod on his mh to add the strips.

Rapidled has the 1 inch heatsinks and actinic supplement kits, but you have to build them.

Not sure I have the skills to DIY LEDs. I have tried reading the LED DIY builds in the lighting forum, but it is way over my head.

Did we lose some posts?

Anyway. I was down in Ontario for work and had a chance to stop in to CAD Lights shop. Eddie walked me around and showed me some of the new stuff coming out.

One was an actinic supplement. It looked to be about 24" with 12 1 watt bulbs. Maybe as round as a t8 bulb. Said he was going to put it on the site soon but you could call if you wanted one sooner. Right around 80 bucks and it comes with a hanging kit.

You should have seen the 100 gallon rimless. Man that thing was awesome.

Did we lose some posts?

Anyway. I was down in Ontario for work and had a chance to stop in to CAD Lights shop. Eddie walked me around and showed me some of the new stuff coming out.

One was an actinic supplement. It looked to be about 24" with 12 1 watt bulbs. Maybe as round as a t8 bulb. Said he was going to put it on the site soon but you could call if you wanted one sooner. Right around 80 bucks and it comes with a hanging kit.

You should have seen the 100 gallon rimless. Man that thing was awesome.

That actinic bulb sounds like just what I need! Lucky that you got to go to the CAD shop. I'm jealous.

I am gonna be going through your neck of the woods next week. Just won't be going through until Tuesday night so can't swap cause I couldn't keep em alive long enough.

It was a pretty cool fixture and less than 15 watts.

How's the tank going?

I am gonna be going through your neck of the woods next week. Just won't be going through until Tuesday night so can't swap cause I couldn't keep em alive long enough.

How's the tank going?

How's the tank going?

If you want to stop by, let me know. You can see the tank in person if you have the time.

The tank is doing well. I have some growth shots of a couple of my SPS that I want to post later. Ran without the light today because it was too hot yesterday and almost as hot today (came home with the tank at 84 degrees!).

lucky bastards down south, its supposed to snow today here. so now, pos da pics man!

I will today I hope. I have had to deal with the puppy I bought my gf. I have been getting complaints from the neighbors that the thing is barking and crying intermittently throughout the day while I am in my office and lab and she is at work. I am trying to keep the thing quite by letting it stay out of the kennel during the day while we are gone in hopes that it will calm down. If not, I will have to get a no bark collar, which I don't want to do.

Here is a pic of the little guy

IMG_0247.jpg

Not sure if anything is still following this thread.. but I will update anyways.

Yesterday, I bought a new cleaner shrimp to replace the one I had that died a year ago, as well as another porcelain crab, bringing the current count to two. I am looking at getting a second pom-pom crab as well, as I think pom-poms and porcelains do well in pairs.

Things in the tank are doing well. Still looking for a few more zoas to fill up some empty rock. Also, I am switching to b-ionic 2 part dosing system in a week when my Seachem powder runs out. I am hoping that a simple, two part solution where all I do is add a cap full of each once a day, will make dosing easier and create more stable params.

Anyways, here is the reason you are looking at the thread:

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

**note: Some of the corals are RTN'n as I got them that way. They are slowly growing back. The only exception is the green and purple SPS colony, which has shaded out it's stem, which I read is natural.

Hey SoCal.

Your thread is being watched. Kinda feel the same on mine but I know there's a few out there that still check in.

The sps are looking great! Hope mine come out that well.

Hey SoCal.

Your thread is being watched. Kinda feel the same on mine but I know there's a few out there that still check in.

The sps are looking great! Hope mine come out that well.

Thanks man.

Found my pom pom crab upside down on the sand today. It is still alive, though I don't have much hope for it making it to the morning. It even dropped it's nems. I am not sure why it is dying, maybe old age. Everything else is fine.

sorry to hear about the pom-pom :/ those guys are really cool. Your corals are looking as amazing as ever. oh and ps, i'm still following.

Always watching, rarely commenting. Looks good man. If you go back to the 2-part I've found buying a cheap syringe from the pet store makes dosing a lot easier than trying to measure out cap-fulls of the stuff.

My tank shoots up twice a night...

Always watching, rarely commenting. Looks good man. If you go back to the 2-part I've found buying a cheap syringe from the pet store makes dosing a lot easier than trying to measure out cap-fulls of the stuff.

My tank shoots up twice a night...

I think trying 2-part will be easier than dosing the powder. I checked my params this morning and found that my alk was 9.8, ph 7.9, and off the charts Ca! That is over 500! I think that may have been a factor in the death of my pom-pom...

I have syringes that I will use to dose the two part. I hope it will lead to more stable params for sure.

sorry to hear about the pom-pom :/ those guys are really cool. Your corals are looking as amazing as ever. oh and ps, i'm still following.

Glad your still following :)

maybe consider the b-ionic salt? then you can customize your salt to whatever you want from the getgo. just a thought.

what is that blue SPS in the second pic? i love it (exactly what im looking for for my tank)

maybe consider the b-ionic salt? then you can customize your salt to whatever you want from the getgo. just a thought.

what is that blue SPS in the second pic? i love it (exactly what im looking for for my tank)

It is an ORA Purple Plasma. Really great coral with nice colors and a fairly quick grower.

Archived