Cultivated Reef

SoCal's 20H EssPeeEss Reef

Arkayology

Nice pendant, I hear from a lfs owner here that all he gets out of sps with T5's are great coloration with minimal growth. You'll notice a big difference very soon. When I upgraded from my 150w sunpod over my AP24 to a 250w pendant my tank juss sploded.

Well, that is what I am hoping for :) I am tired of getting minimal growth... the colors were not that great either. We will see how the tank looks in a week or two.

Looking really good man, do yourself a favor and sump that tank now, I hated how my remorra lookd in my 20l.

I don't have the room for a sump in my stand. I will be sumping my next tank when I upgrade (not anytime soon). I want this tank to grow out more. I like the look of a ton of SPS crammed into a tiny tank lol.

the light is looking epic to quiet epic if you ask me

Thanks dude. I can't wait to see what you do with that new cube of yours.

It's nice to see people using real reflectors, instead of that spider garbage. Good on you.

Thanks! B)

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet light. I'm partial to the T5s tho

My growth and color sucked with my T5s. I am mixing it up to see what the big fuss is with MH.

Got a new colony of an unknown ORA coral. I know it is ORA because it has the black frag plug, I just can't figure out what it is? Maybe when it colors up I will be able to determine. I am thinking it is a "ORA Verde". Either way, I got a lot of coral for not a lot of money. Anyone got any ideas? (obviously it is not happy in this picture as it had only been in my tank for 20min).

IMG_0062.jpg

My BTA ate a huge bristle worm last night. It was all over in less then a minute, which blew my mind. I didn't even have time to grab my iphone for a video. The thing acts like I don't feed it squid every week... lol

Sweet fixture! Do you get the sparkle in the tank now?

yup, I get the sparkles now. The SPS is loving the MH too. I am getting some coloring up and noticeably quicker growth on most of my SPS with the MH versus the T5s. It makes me wish I would have started this tank with MH. My colonies would be huge by now.

Hey bro,

sup?

That new piece is rally nice looking. I saw one of my palys battle a small bristle worm the other night, the worm escaped though.

Thanks dude

Picked up some new frags at a local swap today. I will post pics when the stuff opens up.

I need to figure out how to take proper pics of my tank, starting with a proper camera. My iPhone pics are just not doing it justice...

Is that an encrusting monti on the rocks just to the NW of the orange ricordea?

Tank looks great...love the clam

Yup, it's a sunset monti. Its been growing pretty steadily and is now off the frag plug and onto the rocks.

Pocillopora grows pretty quick, one of the fastest I have. the poly extension on these guys can get crazy!!!

That big clam is nice and plump, small one has great color patterns.

Oh yeah, setosa B)

The thing has almost totally bleached out on me! I don't know if it will make it. I put it up too high too fast I guess and it did not like it. I am hoping that it comes back. Most of the coral is pure white with only one tiny section being a very faint rosy color. I guess we shall see what happens

:o

Ya... I hope it colors up. I don't want to have to buy another frag.

I'm home in Wisconsin for almost 3 weeks. My tank will be looked after once a week by a LFS. I think this should be sufficient. Everything is pretty much self sufficient except refilling the ATO reservoir and feeding the fish. I will keep y'all updated when the LFS calls me to let me know how things are going.

Hey SoCal!

Been a minute since I read your thread. Was jsut checking up on progress, and looking at pix. Still one of the sweetest sps ive seen yet! Hope your trip is good, and best of luck with the tank while your gone. Got a quick question for ya man. I know youve had some experience with different lighting over your 20L, so I thought you could help me. I am down sizing my 37tall for a 20lL.

Im doing this because im using the aquatic life 4 bulb T5HO light with the moon light leds.

Anyhow, I want more growth out of my coral, but I dont have the money for a new light. Well, im wondering, if I down size to the 20L (exact length dimentions as my 37Tall, the 20 is just shorter), will my T5 give me the growth im looking for since the tank will be less deep? Also, will it be too much light? I will be really sad if I tear my 37 down for a 20l and end up bleeching my coral =(

So, basic question in a nut shell is, will that light be good for a 20L, and I plan on doing only some monti caps as far as sps go, unless I can keep more =)

Hey SoCal!

Been a minute since I read your thread. Was jsut checking up on progress, and looking at pix. Still one of the sweetest sps ive seen yet! Hope your trip is good, and best of luck with the tank while your gone. Got a quick question for ya man. I know youve had some experience with different lighting over your 20L, so I thought you could help me. I am down sizing my 37tall for a 20lL.

Im doing this because im using the aquatic life 4 bulb T5HO light with the moon light leds.

Anyhow, I want more growth out of my coral, but I dont have the money for a new light. Well, im wondering, if I down size to the 20L (exact length dimentions as my 37Tall, the 20 is just shorter), will my T5 give me the growth im looking for since the tank will be less deep? Also, will it be too much light? I will be really sad if I tear my 37 down for a 20l and end up bleeching my coral =(

So, basic question in a nut shell is, will that light be good for a 20L, and I plan on doing only some monti caps as far as sps go, unless I can keep more =)

Hey man, thanks for the comments. Ya, being home is nice, though it is cold as @#$% here.

As far as your lighting question, I'm not sure of the growth you got before, but I would think you would get better growth with the light being closer. Montipora species are pretty forgiving with light and will take as much as you can give them. I have never heard of monti caps or digitatas bleaching under low or high light conditions. If that is the only SPS you plan on keeping, you will be fine. Other then monti caps and digi, you could keep some birdsnest and have decent growth. I was not getting great colors or growth out of my acroporas under my T5HO, though I think that my TEK fixture was not quite enough. IMO, ATI fixtures are the way to go if you want T5HO on your tank. However, I am very impressed with my coloring and growth so far with MH. Hope this helps.

Yeah man, thats exactly the answer I wanted! I just wanted to check uop on how it will do. Didnt want to end up bleeching my softies of anything. Can never be to careful. Ive got so much cash poored into that tank (not to mention my heart and soul). I would hate for anything bad to happen. So you think i could do some monti caps, and birdsnest uder it! Thats awesome, I expected to only be able to keep the caps, so thats saweet. But yeah man thats great news! I am getting the 20L tonight, and I will begin the switch! If you have the time, maybe you could answer some questions for me on doing a tank xfer? As, I have never done it before, and I could sue some tips to make sure I dont lose any coral or fish.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply! I am very happy to know I can do the switch, also keep some sps(couldnt b4) and get better growth! Best news of the day!

Yeah man, thats exactly the answer I wanted! I just wanted to check uop on how it will do. Didnt want to end up bleeching my softies of anything. Can never be to careful. Ive got so much cash poored into that tank (not to mention my heart and soul). I would hate for anything bad to happen. So you think i could do some monti caps, and birdsnest uder it! Thats awesome, I expected to only be able to keep the caps, so thats saweet. But yeah man thats great news! I am getting the 20L tonight, and I will begin the switch! If you have the time, maybe you could answer some questions for me on doing a tank xfer? As, I have never done it before, and I could sue some tips to make sure I dont lose any coral or fish.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply! I am very happy to know I can do the switch, also keep some sps(couldnt b4) and get better growth! Best news of the day!

If you can buy new sand for the 20L, I would do that. If not, using the old sand is fine, but you might have some trouble with your params. Other then that, use some of your old water in the new tank and put in some new water, make sure the temps are close, and then move it all over. It shouldn't be too hard.

Why are you downsizing btw?

I actually planned on using all water from the old tank, and also using the same sump and all plumbing. So that I dont have to cycle. Was going to use same sand too, as cash is an issue atm. Would this be bad? Common sence tells me its a great idea, but if im wrong please tell me lol! :D

I actually planned on using all water from the old tank, and also using the same sump and all plumbing. So that I dont have to cycle. Was going to use same sand too, as cash is an issue atm. Would this be bad? Common sence tells me its a great idea, but if im wrong please tell me lol! :D

It is not a terrible thing to use the old sand, but most want to get rid of the detritus and other things that have built up in the LS in their tanks. You will be fine though if your LR and everything will be used from the old tank. Maybe do a WC or two in the next week to make sure your params stay in a good place and you should be fine.

Take some pics when the new setup is done to let us see the new digs.

Archived