Pod Your Reef

SoCal's 20H EssPeeEss Reef

Arkayology

Thanks for the compliment latteslave. I worked for awhile on the rock work. It turned out nice I think.

I just picked up another margarita snail today and an emerald crab. Little bitty guy. I will get some more pics up when I get my magfloat in the mail and can clean my glass.

I thought I had a dinoflagellate outbreak but I have since been advised it is just part of my new tank,

Here is a pic of my hitchhiker zoas. I hope they re-color soon.

i had somehitchkikers like those and they never colored up but look nice when

they multiply and i put a small pinksbirdnest in the middle of thyey try it!

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i had somehitchkikers like those and they never colored up but look nice when

they multiply and i put a small pinksbirdnest in the middle of thyey try it!

I have identified those as Green People Eater zoas. They have colored up nicely and now my clam sits on a bed of them. Looks good.

SoCalDude,

I work in a call center an in the last 2 days between my phone calls I have read your ENTIRE thread, and I must say the journey was like the best book ever (books suck, but hypathetically ya know what I mean). Tank is gorgeous, youv made great moves on everything, and im super impressed. Im currently running a 40g tall, with quadruple T5 HO and Led for actinics and moon light effects. Have been looking into meatal hallid, but this fixture I have is so slick looking, and has so many features its hard to part (not to mention it cost 450 bucks). Built in timer for every light and fans, uses next to no electricity and causes minimal heat. Anyhow, your thread has been great, im sad to be at the end, and I will keep looking into this. Im based out in tennessee, and jumped into my first reef tank about 6 months ago. Not one coral, fish, shrimp, or invert loss since the start (except the damsels I murdered on purpouse for trying to assassinate my clowns). I plan to do some orange plating montiporas near the top of the tank, but no other sps as I was told my lighting is insufficient. What are the thoughts of your self and others reading this post on the monti's I want? ;)

SoCalDude,

I work in a call center an in the last 2 days between my phone calls I have read your ENTIRE thread, and I must say the journey was like the best book ever (books suck, but hypathetically ya know what I mean). Tank is gorgeous, youv made great moves on everything, and im super impressed. Im currently running a 40g tall, with quadruple T5 HO and Led for actinics and moon light effects. Have been looking into meatal hallid, but this fixture I have is so slick looking, and has so many features its hard to part (not to mention it cost 450 bucks). Built in timer for every light and fans, uses next to no electricity and causes minimal heat. Anyhow, your thread has been great, im sad to be at the end, and I will keep looking into this. Im based out in tennessee, and jumped into my first reef tank about 6 months ago. Not one coral, fish, shrimp, or invert loss since the start (except the damsels I murdered on purpouse for trying to assassinate my clowns). I plan to do some orange plating montiporas near the top of the tank, but no other sps as I was told my lighting is insufficient. What are the thoughts of your self and others reading this post on the monti's I want? ;)

First off, thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it a lot.

Secondly, I am not sure what fixture you have, but I would wager that you could go SPS in the upper portions of your tank. If you are concerned, you can always start out with your monti cap or digitata frags and see how they do. Montiporas and digitatas can grow in lower light, so I would say if you want it, do it. The key is to make sure your water quality is optimal. As for other SPS like acroporas, you could always test it out and see what happens. Put one at the top of your rockwork, making sure it is about 8 or 10 inches from the lights, and I bet they would be fine. I cannot be sure on coloration however.

Your tank is looking good. Looking forward to seeing it with your new lighting.

I decided to switch up the lighting, especially since I am going to upgrade soon and the TEK light wouldn't fit the new tank.

New light should be here next week :happydance: But you will have to wait to see what I got... :P

yo man your in SB. Right on..im in Moorpark. Who do you get your corals from?

Hey man. I go to Atlantis and Aquatic Designs in SB normally, but I have made it out to Extreme Marine in Ventura for clams and SPS.

ahh, i didnt know about Extreme Marine. Ill look them up thanks

They have some good prices on clams and livestock. I haven't been there in awhile to check out their corals though. Definitely worth a drive to check them out.

Can't wait for my new toy for the tank to arrive. It will be "illuminating" to say the least ;)

Waiting is so hard...

The illumination is killing me!

dude got my AC 70 today ... Gonna use your mod, but mod that a little

any suggestions

I kinda wish that I would have moved my piece of plastic that separates the area where the motor is with the fuge area so I could have room for filter floss and filter sock full of carbon. Other then that, i love the little fuge. Post pics of what you come up with.

SoCalDude,

Just wanted to thanks you for your advice on the sps question I had in regards to my lighting type. Made my morning to see that as I clocked into work. Cant wait to see the upgrades on your system bro, and btw, hope your Thanksgiving was happy and filling ;)

I had a melt down and bought a super crazy candy anemone (condylactus anemone, not sure how thats spelled). Along with that anemone, I picked up a blackfoot clown, thats absolutely gorgeous. He hosted the anemone within a couple hours!!! My false percs. wouldnt do it no matter how hard I tried. Had them in for 4 monthes and they never even went near it =/

Anyhow, its awesome. Tank is lookin great man, and cant wait to see the updated pics.

Keep us posted! ;)

- T R A P - A D A M S -

250MH, grows SPS ehhh?

TRY LED haha

but srsly, sweet tank.

I am still on the fence about LEDs. But I should get much more growth and color from this fixture then from my T5 fixture, even though it was quality. 150 more watts will do that I hear :D

yes, I'm very much for MH with SPS over T5...just love those colors with the halides

I am looking forward to comparing color and growth... I hope I don't bleach my colonies with the transition though. The pendent is 12 inches above the water level, so It should be pretty smooth sailing.

gulfsurfer101

Nice pendant, I hear from a lfs owner here that all he gets out of sps with T5's are great coloration with minimal growth. You'll notice a big difference very soon. When I upgraded from my 150w sunpod over my AP24 to a 250w pendant my tank juss sploded.

Archived