Top Shelf Aquatics

SoCal's 20H EssPeeEss Reef

Arkayology

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply
boosted chemist
So, I had a 60 gal cube drilled with stand in line to pick up tomorrow and the guy who i was buying from texted me and said "Oh, I forgot... it has a chip in it" :tears: Safe to say that I will not be getting that tank, even if it doesn't leak. Oh well, I might have to buy the cube new and drill it myself...

Funny i was looking at a 60 cube yesterday (not to buy but as a next tank).

Arkayology
Funny i was looking at a 60 cube yesterday (not to buy but as a next tank).

It is an awesome tank dimension wise. I decided I will be ordering a 60cube new from the LFS. I'll start a build thread when I get the tank, but it will not be set up until I get back from excavating in Germany and Peru in September. I'll need some help figuring out the tank build as to what I will need. More on this later.

boosted chemist
It is an awesome tank dimension wise. I decided I will be ordering a 60cube new from the LFS. I'll start a build thread when I get the tank, but it will not be set up until I get back from excavating in Germany and Peru in September. I'll need some help figuring out the tank build as to what I will need. More on this later.

Yeah, take your time, that is how the best reefs come out, what about lighting? I think a 2' t5 + mh would be sweet. The depth is mint for lps at the bottom and sps uptop.

Arkayology
Yeah, take your time, that is how the best reefs come out, what about lighting? I think a 2' t5 + mh would be sweet. The depth is mint for lps at the bottom and sps uptop.

Ya, I might be able to have some LPS again on the bottom. I am still thinking about the lighting. I may try to retro some LED actinics in combo with my 250w MH. It will be open top most likely, so I would have to suspend all the lights over the tank.

you could always hang some PAR 38's easily for LEDS, or are you thinking of a halide system with LEDS in it?

Arkayology
you could always hang some PAR 38's easily for LEDS, or are you thinking of a halide system with LEDS in it?

I think I will just use my 250w pendent for now just to save on costs. I think I will look into LEDs for actinics later. I get good color with the 250w MH.

boosted chemist

Idk if that will have enough penetration for a 60 cube, they are pretty tall.

Arkayology
Idk if that will have enough penetration for a 60 cube, they are pretty tall.

Your right. I would have to hang 6 40 degree optics on the tank to get penetration to the bottom and even then, I would only get like 40 PAR. I am not going LED with this tank. I'm happy with the MH and it doesn't really cost that much in electricity a month. I'm only paying like 30 a month in electric.

Ordering the tank today :)

Arkayology

New tank will be here next week :happydance: It is going to be awesome!

60cube with black silicon, center overflow with two holes drilled in the bottom of tank, drain to sump is 3/4 inch with the return being 1/2inch, one return hole cut into overflow. It is braced on top (rimless cost an extra 100.00), but I think it will be ok.

I'll have to start a build thread when I get the new tank! Now to think about the hardware upgrades... :)

Now to think about the hardware upgrades... :)

New tank sounds awesome! What light are you planning on using?

Arkayology
New tank sounds awesome! What light are you planning on using?

I will keep using my 250w mh pendant that I have over the 20h. It will provide plenty of light for the cube.

boosted chemist
I will keep using my 250w mh pendant that I have over the 20h. It will provide plenty of light for the cube.

what hardware upgrades are in your plans?

Arkayology
what hardware upgrades are in your plans?

I need to get a return pump, a skimmer,a sump, a biopellet reactor, and another powerhead.

boosted chemist
I need to get a return pump, a skimmer,a sump, a biopellet reactor, and another powerhead.

Oh yeah, u arent sumped. I would def split hte return in two and get a larger mag pump, you can always throttle them back. And go baller and get a vortech. I got my aqua c remora for 15 bucks without a maxijet cheep on the fs forums.

Arkayology
Oh yeah, u arent sumped. I would def split hte return in two and get a larger mag pump, you can always throttle them back. And go baller and get a vortech. I got my aqua c remora for 15 bucks without a maxijet cheep on the fs forums.

I can't really afford to get a second mp10 or sell my mp10 and get an mp20 or 40. I think I will have to go with a k3 and just stick it on the back wall. Not sure yet though.

As for the overflow. I just wanted one return hole because I didn't want the overflow area to get too cramped and make it difficult for me to plumb it. i think that just having the one with an ehiem 1048 or a mag 7 would be fine. Im just sure what GPH I would be shooting for with this return since I am going to have just one return nozzle. I think I may try and find a used sump locally or buy a 20H and baffle it myself.

I have been looking at skimmer and I like the reviews I have read on the reef octopus line. I think I might get the NWB 110 model. Should be good for the setup I have in mind, as I tend to feed heavy.

Great ideas though. Keep them coming. I want feedback!

boosted chemist

We had a bh1000 on the work tank (reef octopus) It made a ton of skimate but needed constant adjustment. THey seem to work well though. I also think with the 2' tank you should get plenty of flow from just the mp10 tbh

Arkayology
We had a bh1000 on the work tank (reef octopus) It made a ton of skimate but needed constant adjustment. THey seem to work well though. I also think with the 2' tank you should get plenty of flow from just the mp10 tbh

Would you suggest that I get the Reef Octo over a Bubble Mag or SWC? I don't want to go more than 200ish on a skimmer.

You think the return and a mp10es on 100% reef crest would be enough for SPS? I may have to try it out and see how I feel about it.

60g cube club...say what!

Yup! It is going to be an awesome build. I gotta say, your thread made me want it even more!

boosted chemist
Would you suggest that I get the Reef Octo over a Bubble Mag or SWC? I don't want to go more than 200ish on a skimmer.

You think the return and a mp10es on 100% reef crest would be enough for SPS? I may have to try it out and see how I feel about it.

Yup! It is going to be an awesome build. I gotta say, your thread made me want it even more!

Reef octo is good, not familar with the others. But the nice thing about the 2x2 print is u can get a ton up flowup high for the sps and less flow on the bottom for the lps. I would try mounting it on the bottom, and use the "purple" nt mode. My sps LOVE that. worst case u can tuck a small k2 down low behind your rock scape. But dont underestimate the mp10, my 20l i cant run it on more htan 50% without almost ripping my acans appart.

Arkayology
Reef octo is good, not familar with the others. But the nice thing about the 2x2 print is u can get a ton up flowup high for the sps and less flow on the bottom for the lps. I would try mounting it on the bottom, and use the "purple" nt mode. My sps LOVE that. worst case u can tuck a small k2 down low behind your rock scape. But dont underestimate the mp10, my 20l i cant run it on more htan 50% without almost ripping my acans appart.

The NTM was always weird to me because I would set it up to 100% and the lights would only show that it was at 50%. Not sure why. I will take your suggestion and leave it to just the mp10 and see how it goes. It would be nice to have a couple of acans again now that I can may more variable water movement.

I am also exited about the potential stocking choices that the added space creates. :D

Arkayology

Noticed my cleaner shrimp is not to be seen. That is the third one in the life of this tank. I don't think I will get one again. Not sure why I can't keep one longterm.

Archived