Pod Your Reef

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist
SMILEYS ARE AWESOME.

i think that john needs to send you some close air support. :ninja::wizard:

YAY FOR FLAME ALGAE!

you welcome. :D

Well, I've got some close air support planned. The A10 Warthogs of the tank will be the Chalk Bass (I hope to get these in a couple of weeks) and the Helo support will be the Starry Blenny (if I can get it in a couple of months, once the tank is more established with microalgae).

YEH I GOT DRUGS...BUT IT DONT EVEN GOT CODEINE IN IT!!! :tears:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Wow.... what a bummer! What was the doc thinking?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I've got some close air support planned. The A10 Warthogs of the tank will be the Chalk Bass (I hope to get these in a couple of weeks) and the Helo support will be the Starry Blenny (if I can get it in a couple of months, once the tank is more established with microalgae).

Good thinking! :D

Wow.... what a bummer! What was the doc thinking?

IDK man...IDK...HAHAH :haha: :haha: :haha:

hey MJ, you have botryocladia there, went into the one penny tank though because of some rogue herbivores that ate the bubbles on it. They come back, you might seem some starting to form already. Glue it down, tie it down, wedge it in the rocks...it doesn't matter with that species, it is real easy to keep. If I were you though I would try wedging it in the rock crevice almost at the top of the "mountain" on the left and have it face towards you. I certainly have no eye for aquascaping, but I have always liked that 3d effect, so it is with a shot to see if you like it. Growing a coral to do the same thing takes a lot of time, so it is something in the mean time.

Militant Jurist
Good thinking! :D

Haha I try!

hey MJ, you have botryocladia there, went into the one penny tank though because of some rogue herbivores that ate the bubbles on it. They come back, you might seem some starting to form already. Glue it down, tie it down, wedge it in the rocks...it doesn't matter with that species, it is real easy to keep. If I were you though I would try wedging it in the rock crevice almost at the top of the "mountain" on the left and have it face towards you. I certainly have no eye for aquascaping, but I have always liked that 3d effect, so it is with a shot to see if you like it. Growing a coral to do the same thing takes a lot of time, so it is something in the mean time.

A few bubbles have already started to form! I think I just might do as you suggested, shoving it into the crevasse on the left side. You have a great point that it would be an excellent 3D filler for that area!

ohsnap1.gif

Looks great TYLER! tongue3.gif

Thanks! Oh, and I love that image! I can't wait until I can begin Phase 3 of this Operation. In case anyone is confused, Phase 1 was the construction, and Phase 2 was the cycle and intro of CUC. B)

oh. well, that's much better than saying it down his nose to you while he's sitting on the bench while court is in session, which is the way I was picturing it.

Sorry, I just realized that I missed this post. I've been working with a non-profit attorney long enough to learn that this sort of action is the least of concerns when it comes to my area of practice. We have a lot of judges not completely understand our argument or cause of action because of the nature of our work. To me, I don't care if a judge likes me or displays respect for me; all I care about is that the argument prevails and that rights are protected.

Oh, and in other law related news.......

I won my trial tonight! That puts my trial record at 1 win, 0 losses and 1 pending decision.

:lol: That's gotta be awful. I'm not a fan of flowers anyways, so it's even worse. I'm a fan of functional plants, like grapes. I'm thinking about acquiring the materials necessary to make my own wine. Now that would be fun!

wash yur feets please. Kthanks

The Winter Lager? It's one of the first Sammies I had! This one isn't as good as I remembered though, but perhaps that is because I've now had several before it!

Nah, that was the Double IPA. I like the WL actually. :happy: Suppose I'll have to pick up one of these packs so I can play along. :P

The Fezziwig was pretty good, although the best way of describing the flavor would be to compare it to that taste you get after biting your lip and drawing blood. I happen to like that flavor though, so it was a good beer! :P

:lol:

Soooooooo.....

In reef related news, I've got a tiny bit of algae showing up, so it's a good thing that I ordered a CUC through John! It should be here either Wednesday or Thursday, and I'm looking forward to it! I'm really curious to find out what the 1 penny macro will be! :happy:

CUC looks cool. sweet penny macro too! B)

Militant Jurist
Congrats! And the tank is looking good.

Thanks! I'm definitely enjoying the progress on this aquarium. :D

Not Lal Seal of Approval good yet, but good. :P

:(

I'll have to continue working until I can earn that Seal! I think I need fishies and mooore coralz!

wash yur feets please. Kthanks

You mean you don't want hillbilly wine? The good stuff is fermented with foot fungus! :P

My grapes should produce enough of a crop next year for a batch of wine, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Nah, that was the Double IPA. I like the WL actually. :happy: Suppose I'll have to pick up one of these packs so I can play along. :P

Yes you do! I still have to drink the Cherry yet, but I have one of each left for another round of fun! Hurry hurry hurry!

CUC looks cool. sweet penny macro too! B)

The CUC was fun to watch it take off. There are still a few that I think are still lying dormant, but John certainly sent enough to cover any that don't make it!

You mean you don't want hillbilly wine? The good stuff is fermented with foot fungus! :P

Uh, no.

My grapes should produce enough of a crop next year ......

Not touching this, although my tongue is bleeding. Oh, the possibilities. :P

The CUC was fun to watch it take off. There are still a few that I think are still lying dormant, but John certainly sent enough to cover any that don't make it!

That he does for certain. I'm pretty sure whatever you order, he adds a zero.

Oh yeah- don't give up on those lazy ones just yet. ;)

Militant Jurist
Not touching this, although my tongue is bleeding. Oh, the possibilities. :P

Oh now, you know this is an anything-goes Barrel! No biting of the tongue allowed! :P

That he does for certain. I'm pretty sure whatever you order, he adds a zero.

Oh yeah- don't give up on those lazy ones just yet. ;)

True story! As I opened the package, I couldn't believe it. I mean, I had heard rumors that John couldn't count :P but I didn't expect what I got!

Same with the one penny macro. I was expecting a tiny little sample, but instead I got a big friggin macro! I love it! :D

Oh now, you know this is an anything-goes Barrel! No biting of the tongue allowed! :P

tooooey! still spittin' blood. :lol:

True story! As I opened the package, I couldn't believe it. I mean, I had heard rumors that John couldn't count :P but I didn't expect what I got!

Same with the one penny macro. I was expecting a tiny little sample, but instead I got a big friggin macro! I love it! :D

John is awesome. A great asset to NR and our hobby IMO.

lol....he even asked me if he could use a quote of mine on his sight under customer comments.

Wonder if it's still there? :huh:

:P

Militant Jurist
tooooey! still spittin' blood. :lol:

John is awesome. A great asset to NR and our hobby IMO.

lol....he even asked me if he could use a quote of mine on his sight under customer comments.

Wonder if it's still there? :huh:

:P

Gotta love the taste of blood! Since I've started dealing with cases and clients under my intern's license, I've gotten used to that taste.

Indeed he is! I can't imagine ordering a complete CUC from anyone else. Not to mention that he's probably the best deal anywhere on the net!

Perhaps I should leave some comments as well. John's a great guy, and blows away the customer service of any organization with which I've dealt!

It's a shame he doesn't deal in coral or fish! :P

Militant Jurist

So, here's an idea I had today, and I'd like input from ya'll!

My fish stocking plan was to have 2 chalk bass (added at the same time) and a starry blenny (added down the road, once the tank is more established). My new idea is to add one fish in before that: a Green Chromis. I like the look of the fish, and it's a good way to help the tank slowly increase the bioload rather than have it do so with a pair of new fish.

So, would a green chromis, a pair of chalk bass, and a starry blenny be a bit much for bioload or present a conflict with a LPS/SPS reef?

Militant Jurist

Ok, so I have an additional question, on top of the one about the chromis. The question is: If you were going to buy only one new test kit, in addition to alkalinity, which would it be: ( a ) Calcium, ( b ) pH, or ( c ) Nitrates?

Hey Monkey Boy Tyler! :P

Hmmm, which test kit. Are you dosing the tank with an A/B solution? If you are, then you need a calcium test. That said, I also think a nitrate test is a necessity.

I'm not sure about bioload, I'm not familiar enough with the fish you are interested in to know if they're heavy poopers or not.

Militant Jurist
Hey Monkey Boy Tyler! :P

wavey.gif

Hmmm, which test kit. Are you dosing the tank with an A/B solution? If you are, then you need a calcium test. That said, I also think a nitrate test is a necessity.

Well, I've got API kits for just about everything right now, but I've learned that they are starting to go bad. I'm slowly replacing them with Salifert kits, because I couldn't afford to buy all new at one time. I bought an Alk kit already, and I'm debating about the second. I think you are right though, that Ca is probably the more important, considering that I do use two-part dosing. With the nitrates, I know that my kit is about 10 to 20 high, so at least I have a benchmark.

I'm not sure about bioload, I'm not familiar enough with the fish you are interested in to know if they're heavy poopers or not.

I've never kept any of these fish, so I'm clueless! However, my skimmer is "recommended for tanks up to 100 gallons" and I'm only running 35 or so gallons between the DT, sump and plumbing.

Chalk bass are beautiful, and blennies are always fun (though I think they're often iffy to get settled). I'm not a chromis lover, but lots of other people are. If I were looking for a green fish, I'd look at a green clown goby. :)

Militant Jurist
Chalk bass are beautiful, and blennies are always fun (though I think they're often iffy to get settled). I'm not a chromis lover, but lots of other people are. If I were looking for a green fish, I'd look at a green clown goby. :)

Yeah, it was a pretty easy decision about the chalk bass, and I really like the appearance of the starry blenny. I'm really just looking for an inexpensive first fish for the system (instead of adding a pair of chalk bass so soon) and something that has a nice and long life. I decided to stay away from the green clown goby because I've heard horror stories about the clown gobies nipping at SPS. Have you had any problems with that?

I haven't had any problems with clown gobies at all...

because I've never had one. :huh: I like how they look, though. :lol: What about one of the smaller wrasses? Many of them can hold their own, and they're always interesting to watch.

Militant Jurist
I haven't had any problems with clown gobies at all...

because I've never had one. :huh: I like how they look, though. :lol: What about one of the smaller wrasses? Many of them can hold their own, and they're always interesting to watch.

They do look cool, but I just don't want to run the risk of a coral nipper! The only two wrasses I've seen at my LFS is a sixline and an eightline. I know the eightline gets a bit bigger than I'd like, and I'm not sure how well a sixline would do in a 29g AGA. I'm not sure if it's enough swimming space for such an active swimmer. It's also in the $25+ range, compared to a $9 chromis. :P

If a sixline would work well with the chalk bass and starry blenny without problems, I'd be in favor of it though. It would be one amazingly colorful fish to go along with the other colorful fish I'm planning!

The only bummer with the sixline is that it might wipe out the pod population this early.

They do look cool, but I just don't want to run the risk of a coral nipper! The only two wrasses I've seen at my LFS is a sixline and an eightline. I know the eightline gets a bit bigger than I'd like, and I'm not sure how well a sixline would do in a 29g AGA. I'm not sure if it's enough swimming space for such an active swimmer. It's also in the $25+ range, compared to a $9 chromis. :P

If a sixline would work well with the chalk bass and starry blenny without problems, I'd be in favor of it though. It would be one amazingly colorful fish to go along with the other colorful fish I'm planning!

The only bummer with the sixline is that it might wipe out the pod population this early.

Wrasses are evil. dont get one.

i think one green chromis would be good with your chalk basslets

my chalk basslet takes a good beating from my clown and wrasse so they're pretty hardy but kinda shy.

since your getting them in a group they'll probably acclimate better.

(im home early again cuz i got a major headache and a fever...AGAIN -_-

FML. )

Militant Jurist
Wrasses are evil. dont get one.

i think one green chromis would be good with your chalk basslets

my chalk basslet takes a good beating from my clown and wrasse so they're pretty hardy but kinda shy.

since your getting them in a group they'll probably acclimate better.

(im home early again cuz i got a major headache and a fever...AGAIN -_-

FML. )

Sounds good to me!

That sucks about being sick again. The doc should have given you the good stuff last time!

Wrasses are for lovers.

I love my six line, even though I didn't think I would. He's a very entertaining fish to watch. I think they're reputed to be fine in smaller tanks, but then they're more likely to become aggressive. I was actually thinking of one of the small flashers or fairies for you, MJ.

Militant Jurist

I love my six line, even though I didn't think I would. He's a very entertaining fish to watch. I think they're reputed to be fine in smaller tanks, but then they're more likely to become aggressive. I was actually thinking of one of the small flashers or fairies for you, MJ.

Unfortunately, my LFS doesn't have much in the way of wrasses, let alone smaller ones.

I did end up getting something today though! Pictures to come after the drip acclimation is done. :D

Archived