Cultivated Reef

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

After talking with John from Reef Cleaners, I think I've settled in on a CUC. I'm going to order it tomorrow so that I can get it next Wednesday with Priority (hopefully).

Here's the plan:

20 Dwarf Ceriths

5 Nassarius

8 Florida Ceriths

6 Large Nerite

When I was cleaning up the sump, I ended up letting water levels get a bit too low near the Rpump, and it cavitated for a few seconds, so now I'm back to mini-bubbles everywhere! I think that there is air pockets caught within the pump and I have a plan to solve this problem, but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

NO CRABS FTW!!! :D

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist
Sounds good so far good job a tip for thoes micro bubbles is to put a sponge in front of the pump intake that worked for me.

My pump has actually got a sponge built into it. The trouble is that a plastic cover houses the actual inlet for the pump has large enough teeth that it captures a lot of air. I'm hoping that if I can get enough water in the sump, I can take the cover off, get all of the air out and then replace it.

If that doesn't work, I might try to find a nice and fine aquarium sponge and pack it around the outside of the pump for a second layer. Hm... yeah, that could work quite nicely. Thanks for the idea!

NO CRABS FTW!!! :D

No crabs is ALWAYS a good thing!

It should also cut down on the snailcides. They can sleep easy in my tank. ;)

No crabs is ALWAYS a good thing!

It should also cut down on the snailcides. They can sleep easy in my tank. ;)

i agree with you completely. ;)

PS; how are teh Gooberz?

Militant Jurist
i agree with you completely. ;)

PS; how are teh Gooberz?

The Gooberz are doing great! One of the snails seems to be in love with them. There was some GHA growing on it, and this one snail seems to be refusing to leave the rock until each bit of it is gone. He's become the Guardian of the Gooberz!

Once I get rid of these darn bubbles I take some new photos. I'm also thinking about moving a small rock from my 20L that I think still has a single polyp of RDE in the hopes of getting this 29g started off right.

The Gooberz are doing great! One of the snails seems to be in love with them. There was some GHA growing on it, and this one snail seems to be refusing to leave the rock until each bit of it is gone. He's become the Guardian of the Gooberz!

Once I get rid of these darn bubbles I take some new photos. I'm also thinking about moving a small rock from my 20L that I think still has a single polyp of RDE in the hopes of getting this 29g started off right.

gimme a pic of teh Guardian of teh Gooberz. i wanna makeit veryyyyy special. ;)

Horray for teh Guardian of teh Gooberz! :D

Militant Jurist
gimme a pic of teh Guardian of teh Gooberz. i wanna makeit veryyyyy special. ;)

Horray for teh Guardian of teh Gooberz! :D

Hip Hip Horray! B)

Let me see if I can get a good actinic shot.

MJ you need to juice those Zoas. Macgyver would recomend you dump in some rust, energize it with a solar cell, then add a little vodka. They would truly then be radio active. OR better yet, send them down to me. I think they would look better in my tank. :P Put them on the bamboo airlines, I'll snag them as they pass over.

Militant Jurist
MJ you need to juice those Zoas. Macgyver would recomend you dump in some rust, energize it with a solar cell, then add a little vodka. They would truly then be radio active. OR better yet, send them down to me. I think they would look better in my tank. :P Put them on the bamboo airlines, I'll snag them as they pass over.

I'm actually working on a plan to use a pine cone and some Gooberz zoa juice to create a thermo-zoa explosion, thereby saturating other zoas in a high dose of radiation. That's now new Gooberz are formed. Once more generations can be created, I think I can whip together a solar powered mini helicopter to airlift them to you. ;)

Ok, let me first say that these are old school Current stock actinics.... NOT my ATI Blue + bulbs. But anyways.....

THE GUARDIAN OF THE GOOBERZ

100_0919.jpg

Militant Jurist

Well, I bought a new Salifert Alk test today. It was $13 (not bad) and it's good until 2012 (excellent!!!). My 29 tested at a bit above 11 dkh and the 20L tested at a bit over 10 dkh.

Speaking of my 20L, it was getting over crowded with softies in some areas, so I move a couple of the zoa frags a cut a couple of months ago into the 29g. Now, in addition to the MJ's LE Radioactive Gooberz, I've moved in another unnamed zoa (ya'll can help name it too!), an unnamed paly, and a few YPs. I've also put a small lobo in as well.

In an effort to save my RDEs (which have been disappearing for the last several months), I've move the rock they were on as well. I think that they were lost the battle with the mushrooms in the 20L, but in the mushroom-free 29, maybe they can recover.

Once everything is no longer PO'd about the move, I'll take a few photos.

Militant Jurist
Very nice, I love the lobo. :)

Me too! I actually scored it for about $13. The picture doesn't quite show it, but it's got shades ranging from a bluish-green at the outside edge to orange ringing the mouth. From what I've heard, under the lighting I've got it under, it should develop a nice metallic tint to those colors, with the orange really dominating. I can't wait!

I say you call the pink and blue zoas... pinky pookies...or psychedelic tribbles? Howzzat? :P

Haha psychedelic tribbles.... I like it!

Militant Jurist

I was playing with the macro settings on my camera (a Kodak C533), and I decided to take a couple of shots. Let me know what ya'll think!

100_0925.jpg

100_0927.jpg

Militant Jurist
Lookin good! :D

Thanks! I'd really like to improve my photography, but it's tough with a point and shoot camera. I can't complain though, because the camera was a gift from someone with whom I used to be very close. It's great for taking pictures while traveling, etc; but reef photography was definitely not something that was contemplated for this camera.

I'm thinking about getting a new camera some day, but it would have to be a decent macro camera and available on a budget. From what I've read, it seems that the best bet is a budget camera and then an upgraded macro lens?

Hey MJ your photos are just as bad as mine :P I am actually looking at buying a new photo box. GRR all the different variables. Tanks looking good. I've got a new yougottatryitouta thingiymabob. Okay so I decided to hook up an HHO generator and see what the addition of pure Hydrogen would do. Well I plumbed that into my 100000000 W MH and WOW! That Bit(h lit up so bright that NASA called me. Needless to say my corals instantly split and the called the light momma. Now the zoas are eating pennies, only 1982 and pre years. Oh not to mention that they are now asking for a new thumping barrel and 100lbs of sugar ever other week. I guess the daily dosing of vodka isnt enough. I think they have a problem.

Militant Jurist
Hey MJ your photos are just as bad as mine :P

I know! I suck at life. -_-

;)

I am actually looking at buying a new photo box. GRR all the different variables.
Exactly! I did see that Nikkon has a sub-$600 camera that is pretty nice, and a DSLR.

Tanks looking good. I've got a new yougottatryitouta thingiymabob. Okay so I decided to hook up an HHO generator and see what the addition of pure Hydrogen would do. Well I plumbed that into my 100000000 W MH and WOW! That Bit(h lit up so bright that NASA called me. Needless to say my corals instantly split and the called the light momma.

:lol: :lol:

Don't you hate it when NASA gets all uppity? I mean, if we want to be able to irradiate half of our neighborhood and light the place up like a runway, it's our right to do so! They should thank us, because maybe our tanks and power consumption will be the key to letting extraterrestrials know that we're here! It will also be important because otherwise, the ETs might think that porpoises are the dominant life forms. Flipper can't compete with a 100000000 W MH!

Now the zoas are eating pennies, only 1982 and pre years.

I think we need to add those zoas to the existing list of things that will survive a nuclear holocaust (twinkies, cockroaches, and Keith Richards).

Oh not to mention that they are now asking for a new thumping barrel and 100lbs of sugar ever other week. I guess the daily dosing of vodka isnt enough. I think they have a problem.

Well, what did you expect? Anyone who gets da booze in their veins eventually finds there way to the shine! I bet that the zoas make a pretty mean mash!

Militant Jurist

Something unfortunate happened today.

I went to the grocery store, and they no longer have Sammy Octoberfest!

However, I did manage to find a suitable second-best:

100_0931.jpg

I think my cat approves as well. ;)

The question is, what to drink first? Winter Lager, Cranberry Lambic, Holiday Porter or Old Fezziwig Ale?

Something unfortunate happened today.

I went to the grocery store, and they no longer have Sammy Octoberfest!

However, I did manage to find a suitable second-best:

100_0931.jpg

I think my cat approves as well. ;)

The question is, what to drink first? Winter Lager, Cranberry Lambic, Holiday Porter or Old Fezziwig Ale?

omgomgomg INB4RICHIE!!!

I just picked the same pack up yesterday!!! B) 24 pack of goodness!!!

:lol:

Militant Jurist
omgomgomg

David, you stink! :lol:

Let us know how dey is pweeze. ;)

Hey Richie! No advice on where to start? Or will I be the guinea pig?

Archived