Coral Vue Hydros

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist
well first of all, im pretty sure Salifert has exp. dates on em.

secondly. YAY!!! :happydance:

I usually buy online, but I'll have to be sure to check for the date first.

A snail decided to clean the zoa rock right now, so it will be a bit longer before I can get a good picture. They closed up because of him. :(

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist
AWESOMENESS>

i think you should name em MJ's LE Radioactive Goobers. :haha:

Ok, I give up... what's the LE stand for?

I like it though!!! B)

Militant Jurist
Limited Edition. duhhhrrr LOL :haha:

:slap: -> Me

That makes it even better! I love it! B)

thanks for teh compliment! :D

PS i want me some Goobers! :lol:;)

I'm hoping that it will be a fast grower, and that it will let me be a fragging machine! :happy:

:slap: -> Me

That makes it even better! I love it! B)

I'm hoping that it will be a fast grower, and that it will let me be a fragging machine! :happy:

first of all. LOL.

second of all. ME LIKEY ;)

Militant Jurist

Once it's big enough to start fragging it up, you'll be on "The List." In the spring, I'd really like to be able to do some swaps with NR members, so that we can share our cool corals!

Plus, MJ's LE Radioactive Goobers need to have an exclusive group. :lol:

Militant Jurist
Very nice zoas!!

Thanks! I was so excited to have such a cool find today, and for not much dough. I don't think I've ever seen these before.

Militant Jurist
Very cool, You figured out the param questions, and got a beautiful new frag. Life is good. B)

Indeed! My new frags for the 20L don't look so hot today (I think there was too much of an alk difference between the other person's tank and mine that acclimating didn't help with :( ). I've had corals bounce back, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. One of the ORA frags is still showing some polyps though. It's still early, so I'm at least hopeful. This first frag for the 29g was sort of a coral pick-me-up because zoas are virtually indestructible (other than by mushrooms :angry: )

Militant Jurist
I bet the SPS will pick up over the next couple of days, they'll adjust well. Drop a little phyto or some such in the tank.

I'll do that! I'm afraid the monti sp. may be a gonner, because pods were swarming all over it. Then again, I thought that about my chalice when it was retracted for about a week straight. It recovered just fine. :D The rest of the new coral has a shot though. I'll give them a little something tonight.

That pic of the zoa's are Green Cossettes. I have them, and was trying to find a name for a long time ... and that's what I figured out!

great tank!

Militant Jurist
That pic of the zoa's are Green Cossettes. I have them, and was trying to find a name for a long time ... and that's what I figured out!

Thanks for the info! Hm... I think I like MJ's LE Radioactive Goobers better. :happy:

great tank!

Thank you! I can't wait to see this tank as it ages.

Oh, I found out today that the LFS can order chalk bass for me, for about $20 each. That's the same as livequaria, and I would get to support my LFS / NR sponsor. The downside is that they only have a 24 hour guarantee vs. the 14 days of liveaquaria. The trouble will come with getting the starry blenny. I think I may wait until later for this one if it can't be ordered locally and buy it online along with a few corals, so reduce the shipping per coral/fish.

Just had to give a harrumph at the " zoas are virtually indestructible" line. <_<

May feel slightly different after watching $500-$600 worth of prized zoa melt away for reasons unknown.

...yes, I'm still bitter :(

Militant Jurist
Just had to give a harrumph at the " zoas are virtually indestructible" line. <_<

May feel slightly different after watching $500-$600 worth of prized zoa melt away for reasons unknown.

...yes, I'm still bitter :(

:unsure:

Yes, I would be too! That's one of the other reasons (aside from budgets) that I like small frags. I know the feeling though... I watched my favorite RDEs slowly vanish a few months ago and I couldn't stop them. However, I think I saw today a single polyp of it in my 20L, so I might be trying to revive it!

I think that they are hard to intentionally kill, but when you get attached to some or pay a lot for them, they gather in a conspiracy to deprive you. :ninja:

I was amazed with these ones though. Only a few hours after putting them in, and they are already fully open! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Once it's big enough to start fragging it up, you'll be on "The List." In the spring, I'd really like to be able to do some swaps with NR members, so that we can share our cool corals!

Plus, MJ's LE Radioactive Goobers need to have an exclusive group. :lol:

yeahp. id liek to do that ;)

agreed, Radioactive Goobers really need to be LE! :D

(general note; my reply was hellza late :haha:)

I know the feeling of melting zoas :( I only have pictures to remember them by :tears:

I have had so many just melt away...why won't those freakin' brown paly's melt...they just spread like wild fire :rolleyes:

Militant Jurist
I know the feeling of melting zoas :( I only have pictures to remember them by :tears:

I have had so many just melt away...why won't those freakin' brown paly's melt...they just spread like wild fire :rolleyes:

Inorite? The ones you want to be contained or to melt a little bit (like yellow polyps) just keep spreading. But the ones I liked (RDE) just wouldn't retreating.

I did discover what the likely problem was with them though. When I set up the 20L, I moved the rock the RDE were on much closer to the mushroom rock than they had been. I also didn't have anything in the way of carbon running at the time either. I think that the mushrooms and the zoas were waging chemical warfare against each other, and the mushrooms were able to release their anthrax attack first! omgomgomg

Well, there will be a zero-tolerance-mushroom policy for this tank. I'll allow no terrorists into the Barrel 'O Monkeys!

+1 to this. For unknown reasons, zoas don't do well for me. They either melt away, or just don't thrive. There's only one type (unknown, but pretty) that seems to be an exception to this ap123 tank rule. :mellow:

Like you MJ, I've only bought small frags, and I never bought any of the pricey ones. Still brings a pang.

Militant Jurist
+1 to this. For unknown reasons, zoas don't do well for me. They either melt away, or just don't thrive. There's only one type (unknown, but pretty) that seems to be an exception to this ap123 tank rule. :mellow:

Like you MJ, I've only bought small frags, and I never bought any of the pricey ones. Still brings a pang.

I've actually had pretty good luck, aside from the RDE issue. I've got some brown palys that have turned an amazing shade of neon green (I'll try to get pics tonight) and I've got some blue and pink zoas that are slow but steady growers. Then, there are my YPs that literally grow like weeds.

I have a feeling that some tanks are the same with zoas are mine is with GSP. For whatever reason, I just can't get it to take.

Militant Jurist

After talking with John from Reef Cleaners, I think I've settled in on a CUC. I'm going to order it tomorrow so that I can get it next Wednesday with Priority (hopefully).

Here's the plan:

20 Dwarf Ceriths

5 Nassarius

8 Florida Ceriths

6 Large Nerite

When I was cleaning up the sump, I ended up letting water levels get a bit too low near the Rpump, and it cavitated for a few seconds, so now I'm back to mini-bubbles everywhere! I think that there is air pockets caught within the pump and I have a plan to solve this problem, but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Sounds good so far good job a tip for thoes micro bubbles is to put a sponge in front of the pump intake that worked for me.

Archived