ReefCleaners.org

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist

Time to think out loud (in print) about my livestock and CUC for the tank. Please comment!

CUC:

15 Nassarius Vibex Snails

15 Dwarf Cerith Snails

5 Dwarf Planaxis Snails

5 Large Nerite Snails

(Total from ReefCleaners would be $17.90 + priority shipping)

Livestock: (assuming I can actually acquire them)

A pair of chalk bass

YWG

Neon Goby

Display Macro:

Mermaid's Fan

OR

Flame Algae

Coral:

Green Slimer acro

A few other random acros

Monti Cap

Trumpet Coral

Acans

Zoas (for the pillars)

Chalice

... and a few others TBD.

How does it sound?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 to flame algae. That's a really light stock. I would do a trio of chalk bass if you can. They look really nice once they get accustomed to the tank.

Militant Jurist
+1 to flame algae. That's a really light stock. I would do a trio of chalk bass if you can. They look really nice once they get accustomed to the tank.

I don't want to go too heavy with the stocking, but I suppose that given my nice skimmer, I could get away with more without sacrificing water quality. ;)

Stocking list looks great to me. :) John had some really pretty smaller macros when I looked last (mermaid's shotglass, maybe?) I love the mermaid's fan and recently ordered one, but it didn't make it. :(

I like the idea of starting light with fish, you can always add someone else once you see how these act and interact.

*as for the airborne, I've got different stores here in NY so I'm not sure, but all the basic drugstores here carry it. :D

Militant Jurist

Well, I'm starting to feel better. Slowly but surely at least.

Anyways, I got more work done today!

100_0894.jpg

Now I just have to finish the line between the 45 and the sump, create a filter unit to house filter floss and chemipure, prop up the skimmer from the sump bottom, and do the PVC work for the spray bar. Oi.

I went straight to the last page and was like WOW tank looks amazing, and then I noticed you was at the Shedd. Slap myself for that one :slap: So how did you like Chicago? I need to go check out the Shedd aquarium, Its been years since I've been there.

nanoreefnate
Time to think out loud (in print) about my livestock and CUC for the tank. Please comment!

CUC:

15 Nassarius Vibex Snails

15 Dwarf Cerith Snails

5 Dwarf Planaxis Snails

5 Large Nerite Snails

(Total from ReefCleaners would be $17.90 + priority shipping)

Livestock: (assuming I can actually acquire them)

A pair of chalk bass

YWG

Neon Goby

Display Macro:

Mermaid's Fan

OR

Flame Algae

Coral:

Green Slimer acro

A few other random acros

Monti Cap

Trumpet Coral

Acans

Zoas (for the pillars)

Chalice

... and a few others TBD.

How does it sound?

Sounds awesome to me!

I think you should get the Flame algae though...;)

oh yeah and i have a chalk bass...theyre AWESOME :D

Best Wishes! :D

Militant Jurist
I went straight to the last page and was like WOW tank looks amazing, and then I noticed you was at the Shedd. Slap myself for that one :slap: So how did you like Chicago? I need to go check out the Shedd aquarium, Its been years since I've been there.

Lol that's what I was going for! :P

Chicago was pretty cool! The weather was awful, but I got to see a lot of cool things, and met a few very cool people, including one rather nice and smart (and very attractive) lady while I was there. B)

Sounds awesome to me!

I think you should get the Flame algae though...;)

oh yeah and i have a chalk bass...theyre AWESOME :D

Best Wishes! :D

How often do you feed your chalk bass? My biggest concern about fish is that a few times a year, I leave home for a few days at a time. I'm also contemplating a one or two week to South Africa (see the earlier mention of a smart and attractive lady ;)) so fish that can go a day or two between feedings is a must!

Sweeet!

More progress!

Go MJ, go!! :P

I'm trying!!! The bummer is that work keeps piling up. I've been working today to finish a last minute motion that has to be done by 8:30AM tomorrow. :huh: After I submit it tomorrow morning, I've got some free time, but then I've got to meet a client later in the afternoon and into the evening. On top of that, I just found out that my brothers wants to come down to visit me on saturday and early sunday. Soooo....... I'm going to get the plumbing finished eventually! I may just have to go to town on this project, and have a marathon of PVC cutting and cementing and just get this done!

Needreefunds

Why rush it bro?

I mean do it when ya can take your time and do it right.

I wuz juss bustin yur nuggets a bit. :lol:

Go git yur butt in motion, or, on the motion as it were. :D

Hey MJ. Your slow dude :P JJ

Question. Howcha gonna support the plumbing outta the back of your water box? Looks kinda :scarry: justa danglin there.

Militant Jurist
Why rush it bro?

I mean do it when ya can take your time and do it right.

I wuz juss bustin yur nuggets a bit. :lol:

Go git yur butt in motion, or, on the motion as it were. :D

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. My brain is more fried right now than one of those "this is your brain on drugs" commercials!

Haha I'm used to getting my nuggets busted... I've got a close friend who enjoys doing that on a near daily basis! ;)

I'm almost finished with this motion... it's been a one day marathon on this puppy!

Hey MJ. Your slow dude :P JJ

Question. Howcha gonna support the plumbing outta the back of your water box? Looks kinda :scarry: justa danglin there.

That's my new big question. I've seen a lot of pictures of what looks like free standing plumbing, but I've got a feeling that it's nothing but deception! :o What I've been thinking about is making something along the lines of a filter-sock acrylic HOB piece, but instead of just housing the sock, it will actually be a place to fasten and support the bottom of the plumbing. I also want to make an eggcrate unit to sit on the bottom of the sump to not only support the bottom of the PVC but also to hold some chemipure and filter floss.

Of course, this is the first tank I've plumbed, so suggestions on how to proceed are more than welcome!

Militant Jurist

Ok.... well, my mind checked out a while ago, and my motion finally agreed.... I'm done!

Adios, Guten Abend, and Good night! Tomorrow, the shenanigans shall resume!

Needreefunds
Ok.... well, my mind checked out a while ago, and my motion finally agreed.... I'm done!

Adios, Guten Abend, and Good night! Tomorrow, the shenanigans shall resume!

G'nite

:happy:

All that weight would scare me to death just hangin off the back of that tank. If it were mine I would extend the stand back to where you could fasten the pipes to the stand with one of these. http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/2914/291405_300.jpg

Oh they make them in plastic as well. But those you cannot clamp on as hard, thus they will not support as much weight. So it looks like a 2 x 6 screwed to the back of the stand with two of these clips would provide horizontal as well as vertical support for your pipe. You can never have 2 much pipe support.

POOF!

Militant Jurist
G'nite

:happy:

And good morning! :D

All that weight would scare me to death just hangin off the back of that tank. If it were mine I would extend the stand back to where you could fasten the pipes to the stand with one of these. http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/2914/291405_300.jpg

Oh they make them in plastic as well. But those you cannot clamp on as hard, thus they will not support as much weight. So it looks like a 2 x 6 screwed to the back of the stand with two of these clips would provide horizontal as well as vertical support for your pipe. You can never have 2 much pipe support.

POOF!

Ok, yeah that will be easy enough! I think I've seen those around Lowes before. How far up the pipe would you secure it? Also, I'm guessing you suggested the 2x6 meaning that the 2" side would be secured to the stand, and the 6" extending toward the pipe? That will work perfectly (assuming that I can fit a 6" board in the space! ;) Time to bust out the tape measure.

Hi MJ :)

*waves*

Hi Weetie! wavey.gif

I don't suppose you have any pearls of wisdom for me, do you? :D

Militant Jurist

I did another water test today (after making the mistake of putting some of the stagnant water sitting in the sump into the display :huh: ) but it seems that the tank is cycling well. The ammonia is .5 (which is high, probably due to the stale water added) and the nitrite is down to .25 (down from 5). Of course, the tank is going to mini-cycle again with the stale water added, but we're progressing along well! Now I just need to get the sump completely plumbed in and get the whole thing officially running!

Militant Jurist
will the chalk bass eat the YWG? i don't know anything about them.

:o

That's a very good question.... I really hadn't thought about the fish eating each other....

Looks like some investigating is in order!

Militant Jurist
Nom Nom Nom

No nuggets or pearls, sry. :)

*saunters off to reading chair w/a cuppa Joe*

:lol:

I did a bit of that over the weekend.... there's not much better than a good cupajoe and a good book on the constants of nature (general relatively, the theory of everything, etc). ;)

Your correct in the placement of the board. I was justa eyebawlin the size. Lowes has those clamps in the electrical conduit section. I dont feel that the placement is all that critical just as so that the pipes arent just floping around. If it were me I would prob try to get two clamps per pipe a few inches apart. That way the chance of any rotational forces crackin the glass.

The weather is crappy right now sucks!!! That's good that you had a good trip I'm sure your new lady friend more then made up for the weather :naughtydance:

Militant Jurist
Your correct in the placement of the board. I was justa eyebawlin the size. Lowes has those clamps in the electrical conduit section. I dont feel that the placement is all that critical just as so that the pipes arent just floping around. If it were me I would prob try to get two clamps per pipe a few inches apart. That way the chance of any rotational forces crackin the glass.

Sounds good. Thanks for making my Lowes shopping list for tomorrow. ;)

The weather is crappy right now sucks!!! That's good that you had a good trip I'm sure your new lady friend more then made up for the weather :naughtydance:

:lol:

Archived