Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist
i like rock wall on the right side alot, its so different and cool

I'll have to try to take a side shot later, but it's actually more of a pyramid than a wall. The far right side and the left side of the bottom rock has a crescent shape when viewed from the top down, and there will be a nice cave at the bottom. It took a lot of work to put that thing together though.... it's held together by the shape of the rock and gravity, with no glue or putty necessary!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist

I'll have better photos once things die down... the ins and outs of the rockwork will look a lot cooler then!

For now, my FTS can be summarized as:

dust-bowl-cause-1.jpg

ok ,

ok , cool. yeah i never have used putty or glue either lol

I have typically done so, to make sure things don't come crashing down. However, this time I had a better selection of rock, and I was able to put things together in a way that holds itself together. Plus, when it comes time to frag something, I won't have the whole drama of taking large sections of rock from the tank! :wacko:

I have to agree with Clownfish, I LOVE the way that right side looks! :wub: Beautiful.

LOL, glad I'm not the only one who's camera challenged. ;) I don't actually own a working camera right now, mine broke so I'm using a loaner from a generous friend. B) Same as you, macro is the little flower, and no tripod :lol: Still, I'm glad to have it. :D

Militant Jurist
*cough* cough* hack*cough*

tooey...... dusty in here.

Good thing that the Barrel 'O Monkeys is equipped with spittoons!

30-472lg.jpg

Yes!! were wet-n-runnin'!!!

:lol:

Rollin' rollin' rollin'..... :D

Tomorrow will be my day of plumbing, and of hopefully rigging up a method of supporting the TEK fixture. How long do you think I should let the PVC cement cure before letting water touch it?

Tomorrow will be my day of plumbing, and of hopefully rigging up a method of supporting the TEK fixture. How long do you think I should let the PVC cement cure before letting water touch it?

Geez, I dunno. From the limited plumbing I have done I would really think a few minutes should do it. You only have a few seconds work time with the stuff I used.

Suppose it depends on the type of cement you used.

( yes, I know, Thanks Captain obvious. ) :happy:

Militant Jurist
Geez, I dunno. From the limited plumbing I have done I would really think a few minutes should do it. You only have a few seconds work time with the stuff I used.

Suppose it depends on the type of cement you used.

( yes, I know, Thanks Captain obvious. ) :happy:

I think the cement I've got says 2 hours, but I just wanted to check if I should wait longer to reduce risk of anything odd leaching into the water. I might give it a few days, considering that I'll be leaving for chicago for a few days, and would rather not have a new plumbing setup running while I'm gone!

I think the cement I've got says 2 hours, but I just wanted to check if I should wait longer to reduce risk of anything odd leaching into the water. I might give it a few days, considering that I'll be leaving for chicago for a few days, and would rather not have a new plumbing setup running while I'm gone!

OIC

Not a bad idea to let it sit while your gone.

Ya won't be able to sleep. :P

I have read some peeps do a vinegar soak-n-rinse while others just rinse in FW and set it up.

Militant Jurist
OIC

Not a bad idea to let it sit while your gone.

Ya won't be able to sleep. :P

And I'm going to need my sleep while I'm there. It's an appellate competition, and I could be competing against the likes of Yale and Harvard.

I have read some peeps do a vinegar soak-n-rinse while others just rinse in FW and set it up.

Hm... well, I think I'll do both then! :D

Militant Jurist
omgomgomg

Yay! rocks and wet water in da tank!

yahoo.gif

I don't putty my rocks either :unsure::lol:

I'll admit, I had to use a bit of aquamend to get the rock columns just right, but for the bulk of the structure, it's nothing but good ole gravity and friction!

Things are starting to clear up a bit, so I'm hoping to give ya'll one heck of a FTS in the AM. B)

Militant Jurist
Woo! can't wait to see it!!

YAY!!!! teh tank is full! Moar pix when teh tank clearz PLZ!!!

First, let me say I don't like the limit on smilies. :rant:

Second, all of this talk of clearing up made me want to give you guys a teaser of how it's coming along. I'm going to make a few minor changes in the AM, but this will give ya'll an idea!

FTS:

100_0880.jpg

Right:

100_0881.jpg

Center:

100_0883.jpg

Left:

100_0882.jpg

From Right Side:

100_0884.jpg

Hopefully the pictures will be even clearer in the AM. I'm also going to try to get the plumbing cut and fit tomorrow, and then the fun will really begin! ;)

Looking good man. I think you needa turn off the smoke machine. Halloween isnt for a few weeks. Oh one last thing. When you go to frag that heater coral can I have a frag. I only need a little piece, like 4 watts or so :P

Militant Jurist
nice! i still like the right side hah

Thanks!

Looking good man. I think you needa turn off the smoke machine. Halloween isnt for a few weeks. Oh one last thing. When you go to frag that heater coral can I have a frag. I only need a little piece, like 4 watts or so :P

Thanks! I like to prepare for halloween well ahead of time though. I've already got my "Autopsy Room" sign ready for the front door, and now I just need to start working on my "Achtung! Danger! Land Mines!" sign to go in the front yard. That should do the trick! B)

I plan on fragging the heater coral soon! Once the sump is up and running, I think it's going to serve double duty as a heater frag tank! You're first in line after the heater coral frag is healed up. However, from what I've been able to read up on the coral, I'll need to dip it in a strong alcohol solution, rather than lugols. I'm looking forward to the fragging though! :lol:

NRF: I recall you mentioning a while back about how reefing was supposed to be fun, and maybe even relaxing. Well, you were right. I got a nice big mountain of stress added on my shoulders sunday night, and playing with the aquascape helps! Of course, it might go through fifty minor revisions (a turn here, a twist there... the occasional change of column angle, etc), but it sure helps. I was going to start vodka dosing, but alas, I was out. :(

NRF: I recall you mentioning a while back about how reefing was supposed to be fun, and maybe even relaxing. Well, you were right. I got a nice big mountain of stress added on my shoulders sunday night, and playing with the aquascape helps! Of course, it might go through fifty minor revisions (a turn here, a twist there... the occasional change of column angle, etc), but it sure helps. I was going to start vodka dosing, but alas, I was out. :(

.....could have gone with another chocolate stout. :happy:

Militant Jurist
.....could have gone with another chocolate stout. :happy:

:D

Just about anything would have done given my evening last night. Unfortunately, all I had was some stuff for long island iced teas, and it just wouldn't do. I didn't go shopping since I'm heading out of town for a few days soon, so no recent purchases.

In a way, I suppose it was a good thing, because I had to be at my law school early this morning for bar license and composite pictures. If I had alcohol in the house last night, it wouldn't have been here this morning, and I think a hung-over picture would be bad. ;)

Militant Jurist

The waters have cleared, and I've taken photos!

But first, in order to drag things out in order to create suspense, here's a photo of my not-yet-operational-sump, my kitteh, and a purchase that at least NRF should enjoy! :P

100_0886.jpg

Ok, now for tank photos! The clouds have parted, and I have declared that it is good. :lol:

FTS:

100_0889.jpg

Left to Right:

100_0892.jpg

100_0891.jpg

100_0890.jpg

Militant Jurist

After looking at the dead porite LR, it's been making me more and more want to get a porite coral some day. It seems like it's not a common coral though, so I'm going to have to hit up the local reefers I think.

Militant Jurist
Cat looks nommy.

Nice rock work. Use those acrylic rods?

Thanks! I ended up not using the rods because the rock fit like a glove with the other pieces. Everything but the columns are free standing, and the columns just needed a bit of aquamend to stay put. The rods were cheaper (just a few bucks), so I'm going to use them to make plugs for my frag disks. I might also use them for some zoa frags, to get them growing in interesting shapes.

Archived