ReefCleaners.org

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist
Rock looks fine so far, but it won't really be possible to judge it til ya gots the pillars in.

Making the pillars cool like I wanted is proving more difficult than originally though, at least until I get some slightly better rock for the purposes. The pieces I've got are the result of quite a bit of work chipping away at some pretty dense dry reef rock.

Ok, what do you think.... #1 or #2?

100_0857.jpg

100_0855.jpg

I'm leaning towards #1 because the pillars are more pronounced... they tend to blend in with #2. But what do you think? Suggestions welcome!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist
i vote #1 as well. nice rock scaping man! now all ya need to do is add wawa.

Thanks! First I have to finish the PVC work, and then comes the high quality H2O!

BUT...i still think that

2189568405_c1003315b0.jpg

:lol:

Weren't all of the coral shots on the last page enough to wet your whistle? :P

Militant Jurist

Update: Well, I didn't do anything on the tank or yesterday afternootoday, but I have a good reason for it!

I think I must have ate super-greasy food way too close to going out country-dancin last night... because my stomach started twisting into knots after a while. Still had a great time though! B) Then today, my youngest brother was in town, so I spent most of the day with him and my other brother on top of recuperating from last night.

However, I'm a man with a plan for tomorrow. Now that I think I've got the scape roughly the way I want, I'm going to start puttying and drilling tomorrow. Once that is done, I'm going to take the tank to my workroom, and get it painted. While it's drying, I'll start assembling the plumbing. After that, it's time for some wet water!

So, that's the plan, and hopefully that's exactly what will happen! ;)

Update: Well, I didn't do anything on the tank or yesterday afternootoday, but I have a good reason for it!

I think I must have ate super-greasy food way too close to going out country-dancin last night... because my stomach started twisting into knots after a while. Still had a great time though! B) Then today, my youngest brother was in town, so I spent most of the day with him and my other brother on top of recuperating from last night.

However, I'm a man with a plan for tomorrow. Now that I think I've got the scape roughly the way I want, I'm going to start puttying and drilling tomorrow. Once that is done, I'm going to take the tank to my workroom, and get it painted. While it's drying, I'll start assembling the plumbing. After that, it's time for some wet water!

So, that's the plan, and hopefully that's exactly what will happen! ;)

Cool, Hope everything comes out all right and with the tank work too * slaps knee *

Ah....I crack myself up sometimes. :P

Ok, really tho. Hope ya feel better soon bro. :happy:

Militant Jurist
Cool, Hope everything comes out all right * slaps knee *

Ah....I crack myself up sometimes. :P

Well played sir, well played. :P

I think it was all of the physical activity combined with the bad-for-you-food and the high level of stress arising from my first appearance as counsel on Friday. It was a major bummer because Friday nights out are generally my fun of the week, and I didn't stay out as long as usual with my new-found friends and good-looking women. ;)

Ok, really tho. Hope ya feel better soon bro. :happy:

Thanks! I'm feeling better today, but with all of the stomach issues I've had over the years, I know I have to still take it easy. It's weird, but the best way to describe the feeling is to compared it to a bad hangover, but localized to the stomach.

Militant Jurist

Update: The tank has been painted and is drying! Once it's completely dry from the multiple coats, it will come back upstairs and the PVC work shall begin. I'll also try to get a photo up here with the light over top of the painted tank.

Update: The tank has been painted and is drying! Once it's completely dry from the multiple coats, it will come back upstairs and the PVC work shall begin. I'll also try to get a photo up here with the light over top of the painted tank.

OK, that's long enough....where are those pics?? :huh:

:P

Militant Jurist
OK, that's long enough....where are those pics?? :huh:

:P

Normally it would be long enough, but I think I put about 3 coats of Krylon on the tank, to make sure there are no semi-transparent sections of paint. I don't want to have smudges on the paint because I grabbed it too quickly. It's going to be purty though. B)

Normally it would be long enough, but I think I put about 3 coats of Krylon on the tank, to make sure there are no semi-transparent sections of paint. I don't want to have smudges on the paint because I grabbed it too quickly. It's going to be purty though. B)

It better be or we will make you do it all over. ;)

You know I'm kidding, let 'er dry good. We can wait.

You went with black dintcha?

Militant Jurist
It better be or we will make you do it all over. ;)

You know I'm kidding, let 'er dry good. We can wait.

Phew. I was starting to worry that I was going to get a post saying that my WL rites were grab a freshly painted tank, take it to the LFS, and write in the wet paint "I <3 NR.com." :P

You went with black dintcha?

Yuppers! B)

I like my blue in the 20L, but I think the colors of what I plan to do will look MUCH cooler with a black background. That, plus night-time, tank lights on, photos should look amazing!

Phew. I was starting to worry that I was going to get a post saying that my WL rites were grab a freshly painted tank, take it to the LFS, and write in the wet paint "I <3 NR.com." :P

nope. It will be a bad day for the UPS driver, no doubt. ;)

Yuppers! B)

I like my blue in the 20L, but I think the colors of what I plan to do will look MUCH cooler with a black background. That, plus night-time, tank lights on, photos should look amazing!

I also went with blue with my 20L. Looked cool, but somewhat unnatural to me. Perhaps if it were a few shades darker. Meh, I dunno. Can't go wrong with the black.

Militant Jurist

nope. It will be a bad day for the UPS driver, no doubt. ;)

He won't even see it coming... :ninja:

I also went with blue with my 20L. Looked cool, but somewhat unnatural to me. Perhaps if it were a few shades darker. Meh, I dunno. Can't go wrong with the black.

Yeah, the unnatural look is what gets me too. It makes the tank bright, but it also seems to affect the appearance of corals. For example, my blue trumpets seem colorless sometimes up against the blue background. With black, it's a nice contrast to pretty much every color.

I'm still working out the engineering for my little pillars in the tank. I'm also mulling over in my head what I should put on each pillar. Part of me wants to go with zoas, but I want the tank to be LPS and SPS dominated. Decisions decisions....

Hmmm, did I detect a bit of frustration there??

Fun, remember?? FUN!!

I cannot decide on lighting for my probable upgrade and its ticking me off. :angry:

gotcha. :happy: Enjoying the planning at this point. :) Even thinking 92 corner?? :o

Militant Jurist
Hmmm, did I detect a bit of frustration there??

Fun, remember?? FUN!!

Haha yeah, I know! :P It's not really frustration, it's more.... difficulty in dealing with the rock's refusal to cooperate with me. ;)

Once I get my tank full of wet water and my heater arrives, I'm going to get a couple of pounds of small, thin, rectangular-ish shaped LR to use to seed my rock, and to serve as part of my 'scaping. The plan is to have the rock work like #1 in the scaping post above and use the LR lay flat on the sand laid out like breakwaters of an ancient sunken harbor. I'm also thinking of creating a couple of toppled pillars to complete the look. You'll have to look at it with an abstract eye though! ;)

Enjoying the planning at this point. :) Even thinking 92 corner??

:o

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

:D

PS: I just found out that NR limits the number of emoticons per post? :huh:

Once I get my tank full of wet water and my heater arrives, I'm going to get a couple of pounds of small, thin,

PS: I just found out that NR limits the number of emoticons per post? :huh:

10 methinks. :unsure::( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

yup. 10

Militant Jurist

What an odd thing to have!

Well, emoticon-limiter... take this!

dry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gifdry.gif

naughty.gif

I couldn't help myself. :P

Ok, time to go check the paint!

Militant Jurist
Coming along nicely, MJ. :) Love the plans for the scape, though you're making me feel like a deadbeat for NOT putting much thought into my scape. :huh:

Thanks! Don't feel bad though... I've got a thing for roman and other ancient civilizations, so my mind tends to interject their ideas and actions into modern events or personal endeavors, such as scaping! :D I'm a bit of a nut like that, so not putting that much thought into how rocks are put together might be a sign of a healthy mind. :P

Ok, photos coming soon!

It's sad, but the photo I accidentally took with the flash on is the best of the ones of the lot.

In any event, here they are!

100_0858.jpg

What do ya'll think?

Oh, and ignore the smudges... I still have to clean the glass!

Militant Jurist
it's not leaning on the glass, is it?

Nope! I'm rather nervous about having rock leaning against the glass, so I keep it away. I usually try to keep an inch or so from the glass to allow for cleaning, but this distance isn't always possible.

otherwise, I really like it!

Thanks! :D

I'm waiting on my heater to arrive before I get the few pieces of LR, but until then, I'm starting to gather all of the RO water needed to fill this bad boy up! I'm also using dirty WC water from the 20L to help with the cycle.

Militant Jurist
Looks good, but I am worried water may leak out of those two holes in the back there........

:o :o :o :o

Oh my! I suppose I ought to do something with it. Good thing my tank suffers from dry water right now, or it might leak!

Oh come on R. Those holes are intentional. Ones for evap and the other is for. Um. um.. Thats all I got dude. On second thought you may be right. Hey MJ you may wanna patch those holes with a piece of milk jug and bubble gum.

just a thought

Militant Jurist
Oh come on R. Those holes are intentional. Ones for evap and the other is for. Um. um.. Thats all I got dude. On second thought you may be right. Hey MJ you may wanna patch those holes with a piece of milk jug and bubble gum.

just a thought

The other one is for the alienz!

When they aren't around, I think I'll use a tin foil covered milk jug!

Archived