Top Shelf Aquatics

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist
I understand completely.

If you go with a taller tank, then it becomes difficult to maintain. Sometimes even impossible to install / remove taller skimmer bodies.... just more difficult all around.

I know we always want to add the max extra volume but we are usually limited by the stand. <_<

I had been thinking about my 20L stand, and imagined the 29g as being larger. However, I forgot that I built the 20L stand to be over-sized, with a good six inches extra on both sides. Looks like I'm making a combo trip to Lowes and Walmart tomorrow!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had been thinking about my 20L stand, and imagined the 29g as being larger. However, I forgot that I built the 20L stand to be over-sized, with a good six inches extra on both sides. Looks like I'm making a combo trip to Lowes and Walmart tomorrow!

:oB)

Militant Jurist
:oB)

I'm going "risky" with this tank stand, by my standards. I was able to get the 2x4s lined up just right on the top that I'm not going to use plywood this time on top. I was a bit concerned before about the plywood compressing and throwing everything out of level, so I'm skipping it this time. I'm also skipping the lag bolts this time, because I've come to understand that those are more useful on the larger constructions, rather than a 29g stand. ;)

The plan is to pick up at least the lumber tomorrow and get the last pieces cut. If I can do that and get the primer on it, I'll be back on track. I also realized that I forgot to plan time to move my cherry shrimp from the 29g to a 5g tank, so I'll need to get started on re-starting the 5g tank for those fellas!

I'm going "risky" with this tank stand, by my standards. I was able to get the 2x4s lined up just right on the top that I'm not going to use plywood this time on top. I was a bit concerned before about the plywood compressing and throwing everything out of level, so I'm skipping it this time. I'm also skipping the lag bolts this time, because I've come to understand that those are more useful on the larger constructions, rather than a 29g stand. ;)

The plan is to pick up at least the lumber tomorrow and get the last pieces cut. If I can do that and get the primer on it, I'll be back on track. I also realized that I forgot to plan time to move my cherry shrimp from the 29g to a 5g tank, so I'll need to get started on re-starting the 5g tank for those fellas!

So why are ya surfin' N-R ???

:huh:

Get 'er done buddy!

:P

Militant Jurist
So why are ya surfin' N-R ???

:huh:

Get 'er done buddy!

:P

Lol I would if I could! Unfortunately, there are three reasons why I'm still on N-R: 1) I think Lowes is closed for the holiday by now, 2) the Wal-Mart closest to me is rather .... shady on weekends and holidays, and 3) I've got an early morning class tomorrow for which I still have reading to do, but it sucks so bad that I need a distraction every couple of minutes! :P

Lol I would if I could! Unfortunately, there are three reasons why I'm still on N-R: 1) I think Lowes is closed for the holiday by now, 2) the Wal-Mart closest to me is rather .... shady on weekends and holidays, and 3) I've got an early morning class tomorrow for which I still have reading to do, but it sucks so bad that I need a distraction every couple of minutes! :P

Nano-Reef distracting???

really?

never noticed. :lol:

Militant Jurist
Nano-Reef distracting???

really?

never noticed. :lol:

I know! I expect to come to N-R one day and see a big Surgeon General's warning!

Militant Jurist

Time for a let down.... I was in depositions all day, and I was too wiped out to make the trip to Lowes. I had a strong need to get out of my weekday monkey suit, and after sitting down, I just couldn't force myself to leave the house. I'm going to get the new freshwater tank setup tonight, so that the 29 can be torn down, cleaned, and drilled on friday! I can get it painted friday afternoon/evening before going out, and then start piecing together the PVC plumbing.

Militant Jurist
Pics of Monkey Suit plz. :flower:

Are there any bananas involved?

After the antics of some of the attorneys on the other side, I'm amazed that there weren't any bananas!

Oh, and that's an AWESOME avatar. Where ever did you get the idea? :happy:

Militant Jurist

Oh, and I wish I could say that this was my every day wear:

DSC01264.jpg

However, the monkey suit unfortunately consists only of a suit and tie daily. The spice of my dress comes in the form of cool ties... so fun. :mellow:

Oh, and I wish I could say that this was my every day wear:

DSC01264.jpg

However, the monkey suit unfortunately consists only of a suit and tie daily. The spice of my dress comes in the form of cool ties... so fun. :mellow:

Betcha can't hit that white can behind ya....

Bah, so ya had a bad day. You'll get the tank done eventually right? Supposed to be fun, member? :P

lol@ monkey, monkey suit and Weeties Avi. Nice work MJ :lol:

Militant Jurist
Betcha can't hit that white can behind ya....

Haha hitting those things can actually be quite fun. ;)

Bah, so ya had a bad day. You'll get the tank done eventually right? Supposed to be fun, member? :P

Yup, you've got it! I enjoy doing the work, I just don't enjoy going to the store.... If only I could order 2x4s online and get free shipping! :P

lol@ monkey, monkey suit and Weeties Avi. Nice work MJ :lol:

I try! B)

:hi5:

:hi5: back!

I am the same way. I usually am draggin' arse after running around buying materials.

I love having everything on hand and getting to work right away. Really stinks when I run out of stuff just as I'm really rollin' too :P

I had a feeling you would say something like that about those white cans... not sure why....but I did. :P

Militant Jurist
I had a feeling you would say something like that about those white cans... not sure why....but I did. :P

I think the last time I shot one of them was with a .50 Beowulf. Of course, the can was empty, but still fun! ;)

Oh, and for what it's worth, the rifle in the above picture is actually mine. It's my favorite of all of my firearms!

Militant Jurist

Oh, and hey ya'll, got any suggestions for aquascaping this one? My 10 and 20L weren't nearly this high, so I'm really contemplating my options.

I'm thinking of two high mounds in front of the overflows, with one of them peaking behind a large island. Then, a smaller island off to the other side, maybe with an arch connecting the two. For a bit of the unusual, I'd like to do a couple of small, independent rock columns in the fore- and backgrounds, randomly placed.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thinking of using the acrylic rods to build them?

It is good to think about that now.

Usually the tank is wet before I give any thought to the scape. :P

I like the open look of what you are describing.

Prolly cuz my tanks are all pile -o- rocks looking. :happy:

Wait... what's this about monkey suits?

You missed it.

:happy:

Militant Jurist
Wait... what's this about monkey suits?

:lol:

My loving name for my work clothes... have to impress my supervising attorney, clients, etc after all. I'm just glad I don't have to dress like a penguin; it would be too stiff and wobbly! :P

Thinking of using the acrylic rods to build them?

It is good to think about that now.

Usually the tank is wet before I give any thought to the scape. :P

I like the open look of what you are describing.

Prolly cuz my tanks are all pile -o- rocks looking. :happy:

I was contemplating either doing that, or using the good ole zip-tie approach! I can also handpick my dry rock, which helps immensely!

My loving name for my work clothes... have to impress my supervising attorney, clients, etc after all. I'm just glad I don't have to dress like a penguin; it would be too stiff and wobbly! :P

Well shoot, we need a pic of that, don't we Weets?

Hope you didn't intend for this thread to be about your tank. :D

Militant Jurist
Well shoot, we need a pic of that, don't we Weets?

Haha I might be able to swing a pic on Friday... it won't be very exciting though!

Hope you didn't intend for this thread to be about your tank. :D

Haha I'm just glad to be able to socialize with decent people, all while avoiding the Lounge! :happy:

I was contemplating either doing that, or using the good ole zip-tie approach! I can also handpick my dry rock, which helps immensely!

Zip ties works as well. Very cool that you can cherry pick the rock as well.

I remember one NJRC frag swap that Marco rocks brought huge bins of rock to pick through. Very popular was he.

.......whats wit the Yoda speak Richie?? :huh:

Doo eeet! Would be awesome to have them all built just the way you want them beforehand, not having to "settle" on the scape.

Haha I'm just glad to be able to socialize with decent people, all while avoiding the Lounge! :happy:

...Oh. I'll leave if ya like.

-_-

Militant Jurist
Zip ties works as well. Very cool that you can cherry pick the rock as well.

I remember one NJRC frag swap that Marco rocks brought huge bins of rock to pick through. Very popular was he.

.......whats wit the Yoda speak Richie?? :huh:

Doo eeet! Would be awesome to have them all built just the way you want them beforehand, not having to "settle" on the scape.

-_-

That's one upside to having a nice tank already running with cool coral... I'm in no hurry on the second tank! I would try shaping some of the rock, but all I've got as far as chisels go are those meant for wood work. :( With it being all dry, it gives me plenty of time to work at least.

-_-

You'd better not... I'd hate to have to hunt you down! :ninja:

:P:lol:

Archived