Top Shelf Aquatics

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist
you should care if the judges like you -- if the judge likes you, they are more likely to sympathize with your arguments, or pay attention, even if they might not understand them.

congrats on your win!

Thanks!

Usually, the cases I'm involved with are where the government has been a bad actor. Aside from the time I spent working in the prosecutor's office, most of the cases I would be handling will be all over the state, so it would be uncommon to be back in front of the same judge. The real concern is with home-cooking of sorts, where it's a local attorney vs. an out of town attorney. However, the lawyer I work with handles mainly licensure issues, which is handled only by the local court of common pleas and appellate district.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist

Here are a few new pictures of the tank:

Sammie!!!

100_0947.jpg

He's still bumping the glass to test his new home, but at least he isn't hiding anymore. That was the best shot I could get of him due to too much light in the room and him moving around too fast!

A close-up of the new acans:

100_0944.jpg

FTS:

100_0949.jpg

Militant Jurist
hey, i have those acans.... :D

Aren't they something?

Has yours kept that blue tint around the edge of the polyps?

awesome pix MJ! :D

DOOD i have that Acan too! lol.

Awesome FTS thoo. btw where did you get your rocks? theyre so white....and football like. :haha:

Militant Jurist
awesome pix MJ! :D

Thanks! It's the same digital camera, but I use a magnifying glass for those shots! B)

DOOD i have that Acan too! lol.

Haha I think everyone has this acan! Well, the area it's located in will be my acan garden, so it's just the first of hopefully many!

Awesome FTS thoo. btw where did you get your rocks? theyre so white....and football like. :haha:

Thanks! I actually got the rocks as dry rock from Phishy Business (an N-R sponsor). Their storefront is about 5 to 10 minutes away from me. I was able to hand-pick all of my rock (including the LR I got from them) so I was able to pick the pieces I wanted for the 'scape I wanted. I got the football shaped ones because they would allow me to build my mountains without having several small pieces stacked. I love the one of the right, because it's going to be awesome looking covered with acros and encrusting SPS.

Thanks! It's the same digital camera, but I use a magnifying glass for those shots! B)

Haha I think everyone has this acan! Well, the area it's located in will be my acan garden, so it's just the first of hopefully many!

Thanks! I actually got the rocks as dry rock from Phishy Business (an N-R sponsor). Their storefront is about 5 to 10 minutes away from me. I was able to hand-pick all of my rock (including the LR I got from them) so I was able to pick the pieces I wanted for the 'scape I wanted. I got the football shaped ones because they would allow me to build my mountains without having several small pieces stacked. I love the one of the right, because it's going to be awesome looking covered with acros and encrusting SPS.

:blink: are you shytin me? :haha:

AWESOMENESS

OIC. i hope you have lots of epoxy then...oh yeah and whenever you wanna place corals with epoxy make sure to let it cure at least 45mins-1hr so that it will be able to hold stuff up (fresh epoxy is wayyyy soft and doesn't hold stuff vertical...trust me...i would know ;) )

Militant Jurist
OIC. i hope you have lots of epoxy then...oh yeah and whenever you wanna place corals with epoxy make sure to let it cure at least 45mins-1hr so that it will be able to hold stuff up (fresh epoxy is wayyyy soft and doesn't hold stuff vertical...trust me...i would know ;) )

I actually just use super glue gel and plumbers putty for all of my corals. I may have to go the epoxy route sometime, though, because it seems to take just as long (45 to 1 hour) to get a good fit with the glue, so if the epoxy does a better job, it would be worth it!

What kind do you use? Is it available at lowes or home depot? :P

Militant Jurist

Ok, here's a new question for ya'll:

I'd like to get some kind of cool invert for my tank. However, I'm a bit concerned, because my research has indicated that chalk bass (as carnivores) may not always be invert friendly.

Larger specimens may attack small shrimps, especially those within the Periclimenes genus.

So does that wipe out shrimp generally from my options, or could I still get away with a skunk cleaner or sexy shrimp?

Militant Jurist
Awesome tank!!! :) Needs MORE FISH!!!

Thanks! Currently, my plan is to ask my LFS in the next couple of weeks to order a pair of chalk bass for me. They've already said they can do it, and they'll probably be about $20 each. A month or so after that, I want to get a starry blenny.

Think those 4 fish will be enough? :D

Thanks! Currently, my plan is to ask my LFS in the next couple of weeks to order a pair of chalk bass for me. They've already said they can do it, and they'll probably be about $20 each. A month or so after that, I want to get a starry blenny.

Think those 4 fish will be enough? :D

Love the Starry Blenny ... My lfs right near me has some GINORMOUS ones ... 4-5" or so ... and fat as a house. Love them!!! However my favorite is the Tailspot Blenny ... those guys have such a wonderful personality.

Militant Jurist
Love the Starry Blenny ... My lfs right near me has some GINORMOUS ones ... 4-5" or so ... and fat as a house. Love them!!! However my favorite is the Tailspot Blenny ... those guys have such a wonderful personality.

That's awesome! I love the way the starry blennies look. I don't think there is anything else quite like them. I'm waiting for a few months so that I can have more algae in the tank, so that mine can become fat as a house too!

Militant Jurist

I think these last few days will officially be known around here as the days of questions!

Here's another:

How am I doing on flow? I've got about 400GPH from the RPump, 400GPH from the K1 and 240GPH from the K-nano, for a grand total of 1040GPH (roughly 35x turnover in the DT).

Should I try to find a used K1 to add to the system? I'd like to get a MP10 or MP20 some day, but for now, it's just not in the budget.

I actually just use super glue gel and plumbers putty for all of my corals. I may have to go the epoxy route sometime, though, because it seems to take just as long (45 to 1 hour) to get a good fit with the glue, so if the epoxy does a better job, it would be worth it!

What kind do you use? Is it available at lowes or home depot? :P

i got some "Appoxie" from my local reef club GB. its not avaliable in stores but what you can use it stuff like aquamend.

the Appoxie is like 2 different cans of pasty type stuff that you mix and knead together and then they react and yeah. it was pretty cheap too 1Lb for 20 bucks.

Militant Jurist
I think sexys might be in danger from the chalk bass, sorry.

I had a feeling that would be the case. I'm still wondering about the cleaner shrimp though, given that it's a bit larger than sexy shrimp. I'd really like some kind of cleaner for the tank, so I'm hoping the shrimp might work.

i got some "Appoxie" from my local reef club GB. its not avaliable in stores but what you can use it stuff like aquamend.

the Appoxie is like 2 different cans of pasty type stuff that you mix and knead together and then they react and yeah. it was pretty cheap too 1Lb for 20 bucks.

That's pretty cool stuff! For me, aquamend doesn't seem to do all that great when it comes to bonding a coral frag on its own, but does pretty well in conjunction with superglue. I think that I try to put the frag back into water too soon after gluing, which might explain my troubles.

I had a feeling that would be the case. I'm still wondering about the cleaner shrimp though, given that it's a bit larger than sexy shrimp. I'd really like some kind of cleaner for the tank, so I'm hoping the shrimp might work.

That's pretty cool stuff! For me, aquamend doesn't seem to do all that great when it comes to bonding a coral frag on its own, but does pretty well in conjunction with superglue. I think that I try to put the frag back into water too soon after gluing, which might explain my troubles.

yeah you have to make any epoxy substance about 45-1hr before you introduce it to that tank so that it will be stiff enough to actually hold stuff up ;)

Militant Jurist

Well, with aquamend it starts getting hard within a few minutes, but it gets brittle when it first hits water. When it stays together, it's a near permanent stick. However, I have to use a bigger goop of aquamend in order to get it to do that.

Well, with aquamend it starts getting hard within a few minutes, but it gets brittle when it first hits water. When it stays together, it's a near permanent stick. However, I have to use a bigger goop of aquamend in order to get it to do that.

interesting...the Appoxie stuff i told you about LIKNY; http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apoxie_...xie_sculpt.html

stays pretty soft for a really long time...sometimes it actually doesnt sure all the way depending on how you mix it because apparently you need a, what they call "perfect" half and half mix of both substances to get a perfect cure.

Militant Jurist
interesting...the Appoxie stuff i told you about LIKNY; http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apoxie_...xie_sculpt.html

stays pretty soft for a really long time...sometimes it actually doesnt sure all the way depending on how you mix it because apparently you need a, what they call "perfect" half and half mix of both substances to get a perfect cure.

Hmm.... very interesting stuff!

Militant Jurist

Well, I'm working on a local group buy from Lucid Propagation. I've got a few things in mind, but I'm always looking for suggestions!

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

29g

Martian Stealth Acan Lord ($30)

Acan01-MartianStealth.jpg

OR

Orange & Green Micromusa ($30)

LPS02-Micromusa.jpg

OR

Tyree Baby Blue Chalice ($20)

ChBlue.jpg

OR

Alien Eye Chalice ($20)

Chalice02-AlienEye.jpg

AND

20L

Copper Acropora Pocillopora ($5)

Acro14-Pocillo.jpg

Neon Green Hydnophora ($10)

Hydnophora.jpg

I'd love to be able to put the Poci and Hydno in the 29g, but I think I should probably wait a while yet before adding any SPS to such a young system.

NOTE: All photos in this post belong to Lucid Propagation.

Archived