Cultivated Reef

Lani's Coldwater Tank

Lalani

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, me neither. Daniel must be feedin his something special. (where's he been, anyways?) In my defense, however, I had an anemone eating sculpin, which made it sort of hard to feed my nem. You, however... :P

I feed them a couple times a week, probably need to feed more often, but they open up at weird intervals. :(

Oh, Daniel said he's finished with NR. Haven't spoken to him in a few weeks.

Sad, I figured as much. -_-

Mine definitely opens up at weird times too. Sometimes I wake up in the morning, and it's open. It rarely opens at feeding time. Or even several hours after. Or I'll see it open and run downstairs, get mysis, and by the time it's melted, the nem is closed again. :huh:

Hah, yeah, same with mine. The little one just popped open a few minutes ago so I fed it. As soon as I finished putting everything away, I walked back over to the tank and the big one was starting to open, so I popped a piece of silverside into that one too.

• 1 month later...

Thaaaaank yoooooou, Jamie! :happydance:

We worked out a trade and he sent me my beloved strawberry nems, a cute fishy, cuc, and another pretty nem (can you remind me of the name? lol). Everything looks awesome!

An FTS will have to wait until the much needed cuc cleans up the place.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

They fishy is quite the curious one.. he was watching me the whole time, but I wasn't able to get a real good shot of him.. I'll keep trying. :wub: He seems to be enjoying all the nooks and crannies of the pebbles!

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

Fishy finally found a spot to sit in the front of the tank, but I only managed to take ONE pic before the phone rang... my mother has the worst timing. *sigh* He was gone again by the time I got back to the camera.

IMG_0243.jpg

:wub:

I feel for the people who have enough and leave, but by staying we meet cool people who do trades for stuff we'd never see otherwise. Ya got some cool stuff Lani.

What the heck is this guy? A limpet? I've got a couple but they never seem to get on the glass so I don't know what they look like "under their skirts"

IMG_0189.jpg

Yup that is a limpet. There are other names as well hahaha. <- If you have no idea what I am talking about it fine.

Lani you need a FTS now!!!!!!

Also, you need to teach me how to take tank pics...

I feel for the people who have enough and leave, but by staying we meet cool people who do trades for stuff we'd never see otherwise. Ya got some cool stuff Lani.

What the heck is this guy? A limpet? I've got a couple but they never seem to get on the glass so I don't know what they look like "under their skirts"

Indeed, there are quite a few good people around here. :)

And yes, it's a limpet. He's the busiest member of the cuc so far!

Is the fish a gunnel? He is cool looking. :wub:

I really have no idea.. and I don't know if Jamie figured it out either. I like fishy though. :D

Sorry, or the lagging response, I was out of town fore the weekend... no internet!

But yeah, the fish is some sort of gunnel, I wasn't able to nail down a specific species, but I see them every so often. They're always around that size, which may mean that's as big as they get, or maybe they just move out of the tidepools when they grow bigger. We'll see! Any luck getting him/her to eat?

The little nem is an Anthopleura elegantissima, I thought there were a couple on the rock, but I guess not; they move around a lot. :rolleyes:

I was worried that the limpets would attach themselves to the inside of the bottle and you wouldn't be able to get them out :lol: - looks like it went okay though.

No problem! :D

So it is a gunnel, eh? I'll have to do some research then.. And I haven't seen it eat anything yet. He spends most of his time in the rocks, but when he comes out I've tried feeding cyclops and tiny bits of krill without any response from him. He looks to be healthy otherwise. Just got to keep trying and will try to raise the pod population somehow..

I only see one of those nems on the shell, but I can pull it out and look again. That one is moving around a lot, so you're right about that, lol.

And ya, the limpets were pretty firmly attached to the inside of the bottle, but a few thumps on the outside... er, coaxed them out. :D

lol, glad you figured that out. For the record, if you're trying to get them off the glass you have to surprise them. Just sneak up, and then push them to the side really quickly. If they don't immediately release, then you'll have to try later once they lower their guard, otherwise it's literally impossible, unless you want to crush them first. ;)

Watch out for the elegantissima. Sometimes they climb out of the water and dry up. I have no idea why, but they do, so if you see yours making a break for the surface, please kindly relocate him. :)

Archived