Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lani's Coldwater Tank

Lalani

Are these nem's a different type/breed than what people keep in their standard SW nano tanks here on NR?

Do the same basic principles of filtration (even as far as sump and fuge setups), flow and lighting apply to CW?

Thanks, James!

I'm definitely not the right person to ask about the species, lol, but yes.. the anemones you will find in temperate and coldwater regions are different species from the tropicals. However, some nems can handle extreme differences in temp.. take for example the two I have.. they were kept in tropical temps before I acquired them with no ill-effects.

Coldwater set ups are slightly different. If you look through the tank threads listed in that stickied thread, you'll see some different types. Just as in tropical tanks, equipment needed depends on what you want to keep. :)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dammit Kim, after seeing those last 'nem shots I'm dead-set convinced on getting a macro now! :P

Tank looks good, even if it's doing the Eukaryote boogie!

Needreefunds
The whatkindofboogie? :lol:

I just bought a new lens. :happydance:

:o

Whoa, ya can't juss up and drop something like dat..... SPILL IT SWEETIE! :lol:

Whatcha get buddeh???? :huh:

Well there was a whole discussion about it in my latest photo forum thread. :P

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM...... Yeahhhhh, my first wide angle lens. :happydance:

Needreefunds
Well there was a whole discussion about it in my latest photo forum thread. :P

:blush: sowwy, didn't get that far in my reading yet.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM...... Yeahhhhh, my first wide angle lens. :happydance:

:happydance:

Awrite! cool new toy for you, cool new pichers for the rest of us. win-win. :)

'grats K! B)

The whatkindofboogie? :lol:

It's what Diatoms are! <_< And they're dancin' all over your ####!

I just bought a new lens. :happydance:

The 10-20 is soft in a lot of circumstances (full light being its biggest offender), especially around the middle of the zoom range when stopped down, and is pretty bad for chromatic aberration across most of the range. It does work better for longer exposures if you're gonna have it wide open I've found.

That being said, I'm sure you'll find yourself at minimum zoom with the aperture pushed down a little a lot of the time. When you do it's a bloody good lens to have! :happy:

You sure we're talking about the same lens? Majority of the reviews say differently, except in the cases of bad copies. :P

I'm certain! I've used three of 'em, two EF mount and one for the Nikon mount, on all different kinds of bodies (20D, 1DmkIII, 5DmkII... even a few Nikon ones!). Those were the issues I've found with them (although admittedly inconsistently in terms of the chroma issues), though I dare say you probably will use your lens a lot differently to how I do. Not knocking the lens itself, at all because it's beautiful overall and I desperately want one, but in some situations it wasn't as nice as I hoped. Hell, compared to the competition the only thing which gets properly close is the Tokina 12-24, but from what I've seen that lens' aberration is pretty terrible a bulk of the time. Either that, or I've just been spoiled seeing L-series photos all the time. I think it might be a combination of the two :lol:

Either that, or I've just been spoiled seeing L-series photos all the time. :lol:

Aha! There's the problem. :P

The Tokina was on my list of possibles also, but the Sigma ultimately won out. We'll see what kind of copy I get (hopefully a good one!). Btw, it was scheduled for delivery on Monday... but it's on the truck right now... practically a few blocks down the road!!!! omgomgomg

• 3 weeks later...

You need more stuff in there!!!

I am jealous of the nems though, mine aren't that deep red. But I do have feather dusters haha ;)

Yeah, but you'll send me some stuffs when the weather cools, right? :flower:

If these nems reproduce, you'll be at the top of the list for babies.

Yep you and Jamie (unless in college) will be getting at least one feather duster. And maybe some other stuff that I might throw in, snails crabs etc.

Haha cool, always love baby nems :)

• 4 weeks later...
you need some new stuff!

In the next couple of months, when the weather cools off, hopefully!

i want one!

are there any cold water fish you could put in?

Yeah, I plan on putting one or two fish in there.

Cold water species of crabs, snails, chitons, etc. Take a look through the other tanks linked in the resource guide (biotope forum sticky) and they should give you an idea of what can be kept.

Archived