Cultivated Reef

Lani's Coldwater Tank

Lalani

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it had been only around 3 or 4 hours a day with the lesser lighting, but Daniel suggested that maybe if I increased the light period, the green algae would out-compete the cyano... so I added more light and now it's on from 12pm-12am. :)

and that's been working, I take it? I may try it some time - right now I'm on the "no light evar" system, which is working pretty well, though. Unfortunately it makes it difficult to see anything.

Beautiful nems! I need to get a margarita snail, I assume they work well?

Ya, they've been all over the place. They don't really touch the cyano itself, but they eat some of the other green and brown algaes.

and that's been working, I take it? I may try it some time - right now I'm on the "no light evar" system, which is working pretty well, though. Unfortunately it makes it difficult to see anything.

Not sure yet... I've only had the Orbit fixture over the tank for about a week now, so it'll be a little while before I see any real change. I'm going to try and do one or two water changes a week to suck out as much cyano as possible, for a while.

It's great and all but..........it needs a abolone! I gots one he's sooo cool. Mine and ur's could have play dates and be best buds.

Not sure yet... I've only had the Orbit fixture over the tank for about a week now, so it'll be a little while before I see any real change. I'm going to try and do one or two water changes a week to suck out as much cyano as possible, for a while.

ah. Well I hope it works! I feel like, in my tank, the cyano just sort of smothered by green algae, but that was after I switched from a 10K to a 15K bulb. Maybe cyano likes the higher color-temps?

ah. Well I hope it works! I feel like, in my tank, the cyano just sort of smothered by green algae, but that was after I switched from a 10K to a 15K bulb. Maybe cyano likes the higher color-temps?

I don't get cyano, but I get other algae. Then again I hardly feed so my nems hate me and don't grow. My lights are 10k.

Hmmm, good question.

Looking good, mines still cycling. Im gonna def need to get a chiller though

What temp is it staying around?

I don't get cyano, but I get other algae. Then again I hardly feed so my nems hate me and don't grow. My lights are 10k.

Ya, I hardly feed my nems either because of the cyano. :(

Few pics, same ol' stuff:

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

Cyano isn't a critter that you can figure out overnight, if ever. As smart as we think we are, cyano is the original life, as postulated by some, and so time is definitely on it's side! While I don't give up to it, I have to respect it!

Asian market or Asian seafood store. That's where D got his from. My tank was staying around 55-57 in the winter and now its up past 60.

if you end up with the same species i got (black frilly mantle and greenish shell) you'll only need one. 3 in the 40 is plenty. never see them doing anything, and sometimes they don't move for a week or so, but the algae is being eaten.

I would get the ones native to the Puget Sound but they are almost extinct :(

Maybe I can find one next time I go over to Seattle....

I would get the ones native to the Puget Sound but they are almost extinct :(

Maybe I can find one next time I go over to Seattle....

I think it is illegal to take abalone in Washington (since 1994). The small ones you find in Asian food markets are either imported or farm raised (or both), so I suggest you buy one of those.

• 2 weeks later...
horusmachine
Wow what a cool pic... Great tank.

Lalani did you get a definite identification on this anenome?

I think I might of found one at a LFS. It has same colorations

but it is darker brown maroon.

H

• 5 months later...

Cool!

This tank has actually been taken down. I just couldn't get rid of the slime algae and no matter how many times I scrubbed it off the rocks, the next day it was smothering the nems again, so I took them all out and put them in the 40br. The beadlets are looking great and the strawberry nems actually look better than they had in this tank, but we'll see how they do in the long run.

Good luck with yours!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
This tank has actually been taken down. I just couldn't get rid of the slime algae and no matter how many times I scrubbed it off the rocks, the next day it was smothering the nems again, so I took them all out and put them in the 40br. The beadlets are looking great and the strawberry nems actually look better than they had in this tank, but we'll see how they do in the long run.

;)

Strawberries are all gone, but the beadlets are still looking great!

• 3 years later...

Any updates Lalani?

Ah, sorry man but this tank has been long gone!

I miss the little strawberries...

Archived