Top Shelf Aquatics

Lani's Coldwater Tank

Lalani

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that you're going for it! Good for you.

You said you want to keep corynactis. I've been keeping them for close to a year, and I've found that they don't do really well unless I feed them often (I'm up to twice per day), give them lots of flow, and keep the water quality good (nitrates below 15). I'm not sure your filtration plan will be able to keep them happy. I have a 60 gallon, no live rock (like you) but I have an over sized wet/dry filter, and a DSB. Even with that I need to do weekly 40% water changes to keep the tank happy. Sure, the nitrogen cycle slows down, but the feeding doesn't, which means that you need even more of the cold slow bacteria to get the job done (it took 5 months for my tank to fully cycle because the bacteria grew so slowly.) I can't imagine that enough bacteria will be able to populate your rocks and sand to make much of a dent in the nutrient load that will come from the frequent feedings that your corinactis will need. I would recommend a canister filter. That would increase flow, and provide a lot of biological filtration for a 10 gallon.

I hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice.

yeah kim, and get those new boots shined too while you're at it. ;)

C-rad, welcome to nano-reef. Check out this thread and the tanks posted in it. Lalani is following a pretty well-tested standard for nano coldwater tanks.

Needreefunds
Ya I know, I just haven't gotten around to fixing that one. It's been dripping a little. :unsure:

The hose is on there really tight though, I can't seem to budge it (I'm just a girl.... weak..)

All the rest of them have hose clamps. Gotta make a trip to Ace to buy another clamp this weekend!

Next time dip the end of the hose in hot water first, or warm with a hair dryer. The you can slide it in all the way :o:P

You can try the hair dryer now, but I fear the flow will carry the heat away too quickly. So perhaps shut down the pump and try.

I hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice.

Thank you for the input! I welcome all advice. :)

As Jeremai's link shows, I'm setting up a relatively low-maintanence nano like some others have. I do plan on feeding the nems, but not heavily. I'll monitor the health of the inhabitants and make any changes if need be, but I've had much success with minimal and natural filtration in my tropical tanks as well.

yeah kim, and get those new boots shined too while you're at it. ;)

:lol:

Thanks for adding me to the list. :flower:

Next time dip the end of the hose in hot water first, or warm with a hair dryer. The you can slide it in all the way :o:P

You can try the hair dryer now, but I fear the flow will carry the heat away too quickly. So perhaps shut down the pump and try.

Argh, I hadn't thought of that!

I managed to push the hose up another barb, but that's as far as I can get it. It's far up enough that a clamp will take care of the rest. :)

Tank looks very nice so far! I'm very jealous. :) I'd love to do a coldwater tank.

Thanky! You should start one!

Oooh, lights just came on and the water is much clearer today..

C'mon Kim, git 'er dun! Totally jealous of all these CW tanks popping up, I'd love one someday but for now... I shall have to live vicariously through others :D

That lighting with the 50/50 and the daylight looks pretty dern sweet :flower:

why the sand? (you might have said for bacteria, but I'm not sure) is that aragonite?

how often you planning on feeding the berries? I feed mine every day to keep them open. They're still happy when I feed every other day, but they stay closed between feedings, which makes them look like ugly pink goobers most of the time. just something to consider...

I very much like your lighting. :)

Can't wait for livestock! (the sculpin is still yours by the way) :)

Can't wait for livestock! (the sculpin is still yours by the way) :)

:D:flower:

I added the sand, well.. because I like the look of it. Yeah, it's aragonite. If it starts collecting crud and causing water quality issues, there isn't a whole lot in there and it can be vacuumed out real easy.

And I plan on feeding the berries same as you - once every day or every other day.

Please, if you guys notice I'm doing something stupid, lemme know. ;)

well, I don't think it'll hurt, but coldwater areas have lower calcium and carbonate levels, so you might be raising those higher than normal with the buffering of the aragonite - but I doubt it will have any adverse effects on the nems.

peewee1467

there's gonna be lots of crap stuck in the river rocks, thats for sure. but your tank looks really good so far. ;)

so no sand for a tidepool setup?

your choice - I don't think it'll hurt, but there's not much point in adding it. I guess it's be a good place for bacteria to live. I personally don't like how white sand looks with cw livestock, but that's just me. (lani - :flower: ). Black sand could look cool.

aragonite buffering won't really take place to an extent that there will be any noticeable effect parameters.

just don't go dosing Ca/alk and there's no problem ;)

Can't wait to see this one go.

I was at Lowe's recently and they sell a black light (Actinic 03) spiral CF. Might want to try that, or I can send you one if you can't find one.

aragonite buffering won't really take place to an extent that there will be any noticeable effect parameters.

just don't go dosing Ca/alk and there's no problem ;)

fine! discredit me with your superior education :angry:

:P

I was at Lowe's recently and they sell a black light (Actinic 03) spiral CF. Might want to try that, or I can send you one if you can't find one.

ooh, I might try this. would look SWEEET!

Hrm, that might be interesting.

hey - i got my chiller today.

wtf are all these o-rings? do you only use two and the rest are extra replacements?

+1 on dipping hose in hot water but also put a lil vegetable oil on the barb. I dont know about temperate tanks but I used clear hose on one of mine. It ended up growing algae in it and restricting the flow.

Archived