Cultivated Reef

Lani's Coldwater Tank

Lalani

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needreefunds
D'oh. Ah well, they are still pretty. How does one tell the difference?

One just asks Daniel :P

Love the 'nem pics Kim :wub:

:o:)

IMG_7612.jpg

IMG_7565.jpg

IMG_7624.jpg

Little one has attached to the pebble firmly, and reacts very quickly to touch, so I'm pretty sure it'll heal up soon. It was somehow ripped from the mouth all the way down through the foot.. The temp is down to 69F.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

Not sure what I had updated last, before the data loss, but the nems are doing well. The little one has a fully reformed mouth now and is healing up quickly. Almost looks whole. :)

Tank is brown with diatoms... I need snails..

Thanks guys.

Well, the water is only around 67F right now, so it's not really cold yet... Tank is solid rust color. I'll take pics as soon as my cam batteries finish charging.

:blush:

The diatoms were actually worse than this. I brought the temp down a few more degrees and did a waterchange though..

IMG_7975.jpg

IMG_7985.jpg

Bad focus on this little one, but you can kinda see the new tentacles in the front:

IMG_7989.jpg

It has a fully formed mouth and eats now, and the foot is almost completely healed. :)

A couple of better shots. (Yes, Jer, I turned off the pumps for these. :flower:)

The coloration of the larger one seems to be altering a bit.. it's moving towards a more pink color and white dots are appearing on certain tentacles..

IMG_8026.jpg

IMG_8031.jpg

I am just so in awe of your photography skills. I keep trying to not think that if I get a better camera maybe mine will................. because I recognize that you've got an artistic eye that I just don't have.

this is the best I've done in weeks with my new baby.

greenefflo.jpg

:ninja: Mr. Wallace. I'm a better internet ninja than you. :lol:

Oh goddamit. I should have had you ship the crab to "psychosis" haha.

The warath/beadlet/red tentacley things look awesome still.

I am just so in awe of your photography skills. I keep trying to not think that if I get a better camera maybe mine will................. because I recognize that you've got an artistic eye that I just don't have.

this is the best I've done in weeks with my new baby.

greenefflo.jpg

Thank! And yes, it's more about the skills you acquire rather than what camera equipment you use. Just read up as much as possible and play with all the features on the camera. The biggest help I had when learning about photography was the camera manual... along with technical websites. Only after I learned how to use a camera, did I start learning about composition and all that other good stuff. Just stick with it!

That's a good shot, btw. :)

Cold water, generally about 56 degress (on average from what I've seen) allows you to keep live stock from reefs outside of the tropics, like what you find on most of the American coast line. You generally keep 'nems, true cold water coral is rare. There is a ton of cool stuff that most people aren't aware exist outside of the tropical reef ecosystem.

Stunning Lani, really great work, like a piece of art. I'm subscribing just to keep staring at your nems, they are one of my favs. :)

Thanks for the CW thread link, starting to go through it now. To help get me jump started on cold water research, I do have a couple of basic questions.

Are these nem's a different type/breed than what people keep in their standard SW nano tanks here on NR?

Do the same basic principles of filtration (even as far as sump and fuge setups), flow and lighting apply to CW?

Thanks!

-james

Archived