Coral Vue Hydros

Sammy's 20G Cube

sammy113

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your lack of updates upsets me. :angry:

:lol: theres not much to update though... I lost one of my cardinals :( one of them looked veeeery thin and skinny. I noticed he wasn't eating when I fed the tank. He tried but kept spiting out the food again. Tried with pellets, brine and Rod's food which contains a LOT of stuff.

When I was in my trip in MA, apparently something went wrong and I lost my birdsnest (all three of them) don't know what the hell could happened cause the other SPS looks awesome and growing like crazy. I'm amazed.

Will have to take some pics cause its about time to take some comparison shots from SPS :)

On a side note, I got a Korallin Calcium reactor for free and just need the Co2 regulator but still unsure if setting it up. Having a SPS tank consumes calcium but nothing a weekly water change can solve (at least for now) maybe when they all grow its a different story

• 1 month later...

Sammy, your tank is amazing! have been following your build for some time now, and I have a question, what size of heatsink you use for your lamp?

sweet, thats about 25g's right? Is it going to be glass or acrylic?

I ended up changing to 80 degrees. With 60's my corals where hating it

Yes, is a 25 gal, Mr Aqua (glass) It is a nice looking aquarium (at least on pictures), and I am planning to use leds since its too expensive on my 90 gal :(

Still have a lot of doubts about the overflow, not sure if I want to drill on the back and paint it all black, or a corner overflow and leave the back without paint.

Algo, I have already a Koralia 3, but I think is going to be a little to much for this tank, so I guess I will order a nano (425 gps).

I already have the stand build, is only 25 inch tall since this tank is for my kids room :)

Wow just read through your thread, amazing handy work, amazing tank and amazing photography. What lens and body are you shooting with? Everything seems to be doing great.

Yes, is a 25 gal, Mr Aqua (glass) It is a nice looking aquarium (at least on pictures), and I am planning to use leds since its too expensive on my 90 gal :(

Still have a lot of doubts about the overflow, not sure if I want to drill on the back and paint it all black, or a corner overflow and leave the back without paint.

Algo, I have already a Koralia 3, but I think is going to be a little to much for this tank, so I guess I will order a nano (425 gps).

I already have the stand build, is only 25 inch tall since this tank is for my kids room :)

Sounds good. I've seen a very nice overflow on the web. Its an Italian product and its very expensive but slick is the key here.

http://www.xaquaworld.com/catalogoBase/art...asp?ID=ART00012

If I had to do my tank again, I'll go this route.

Also K3 seems too much but let me tell you I had a koralia nano and I though it wasn't enough (maybe i'm wrong) but I like strong flow. Ended up buying a Vortech but its worth every penny. I believe New MP10 comes with the new controller also which is awesome.

Wow just read through your thread, amazing handy work, amazing tank and amazing photography. What lens and body are you shooting with? Everything seems to be doing great.

Thanks dude. I use a Nikon D60 body. For close ups I use a Sigma 70mm Macro and for regular shots I use a Nikon 18-135. Also have a 18-55 nikon lens but I don't use it anymore cause I got the 18-135 which has more to offer. :)

Wow, its a nice looking overflow but not sure it cost 150 dlls, and the vortech is the next step after I make my LED lamp :).

thks

Killer build. I found this thread on the Comprehensive DIY build and fell in love with your light housing.

On the second light setup did you use the thermal pads instead of drilling and tapping? I did not see any screws.

Thanks ;) on the second setup I used the epoxy that comes in rapidled's kits. Bonds very strong.

I just got today this:

photo6.jpg

Also got a used Korallin calcium reactor with bubble counter and eheim pump in exchange for a LED work I did. Still thinking if setting up that in my system. Will need a Co2 Regulator though. Already have the Co2 tank.

What are your people's thoughts about using Ca Reactor in a nano reef? Right now I have close to 15 SPS frags, planning on adding more eventually and obviously they'll grow so there will be more calcium demand. I don't dose anything right now. Just weekly w/c with Brightwell's NeoZeo salt and also kalkwasser in top off water.

Sweet. Do you have enough room for all this crap? hahah.

What are you running your LEDs at percentage wise? I think the wifey is going to make me keep the current fixture, so I have to try to make it work...

Sweet. Do you have enough room for all this crap? hahah.

What are you running your LEDs at percentage wise? I think the wifey is going to make me keep the current fixture, so I have to try to make it work...

Haha Ermmmm no! I don't have space. I had to buy a bathroom shelf that I placed next to the tank. I also bought an american dj power center. I don't really like the idea of the Ca reactor because of the hazzle and all the equipment needed but since I got it for free was temped to set it up. Maybe I never use it...

Right now I'm running my LEDs at full blast with 80 degree lenses. I'm having good results though. What's with your corals and your light?

Haha Ermmmm no! I don't have space. I had to buy a bathroom shelf that I placed next to the tank. I also bought an american dj power center. I don't really like the idea of the Ca reactor because of the hazzle and all the equipment needed but since I got it for free was temped to set it up. Maybe I never use it...

Right now I'm running my LEDs at full blast with 80 degree lenses. I'm having good results though. What's with your corals and your light?

Sell it and buy coral? lol!

My unit is about a foot over the tank, which is 12" deep, I have the 60 degree optics, and I have everything running at like 40% now. I have dialed it down to this, which I think looks good right now, and have turned my flow down a bit too. I think I was just blasting everything with light and flow, so maybe things will start perking up a bit now. I still think I am going to add T5s once nanotuners releases their 12" stuff for actinic support, I miss the look of my 14K phoenix...

Tank is doing meh... I have some red bugs bothering my existence so I'm doing the Interceptor method soon. After that, my plans are to start curing some dead rock I have. I did a new rock scape all epoxied to create just one big piece. I will be doing weekly water changes to it with water from the tank while.

Meanwhile I also want to start running bio pellets so when the new rock is set, I know there will be some kind of small cycle and I want the bacteria to be grown in the chamber to help with any sudden spikes.

Heres a pic of the tank and some of the new rock

DSC_0536.jpg

DSC_0596.jpg

DSC_0600.jpg

Vortechs are for noobz :lol:

DSC_0602.jpg

my power head died so I had to somehow mix the water haha

Thanks Khendal. Any news from your package?

Let me know when you get your stuff :D

Nope nothing at the moment!!! but i think this will be the right week for the package :P

Sure...don't worry...i'll let you know :)

Thanks Maria :D

Here's a video playing with Arduino and a single 25mm LED to see how the PWM works and getting familiar with the software and sketches. This thing rocks!

th_IMG_0096.jpg

Archived