inTank Media Baskets

Sammy's 20G Cube

sammy113

Hi Steve, your LED lamp looks awesome. I see you're using more whites than blue but some of the whites are a high kelvin temperature so that helps with the blue spectrum. I though I stayed more into lower kelvin whites to have more from red, yellow and orange spectrum than higher kelvin whites. I didn't use UV LEDs and actually there is not too much people using it. I just decided not to use them as good advice from Clive and others as they're harmful to your eyes. Even Metal Halides emit UVs but they have a glass shield which probably wont be the case in a DIY lamp. I did use true violets which is a 420nM LED and is very nice to add. I also added a Red LED cause I have a combination of cool white and neutral whites so the Red is very nice to have. When I make my new bigger lamp it will not have any Red LED, just Neutral whites, royal blues and true violets. I've read that UV is not mandatory in our LED setups. Don't know what the results could be.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok thank you very much...i intend raise only sps...infact i use the zeovit sistem(www.korallen-zucht.de),

i think use 6000k to stimulate grow and 15000 to stimulate colour..i use more white then blues becouse the white go to 700ma and blue 1000ma....the your violet led interest me much...becouse here i find only uv-a led 395-405 nm are too less?where you find the 420nm?ah another question..the lens..increase the led power?also me think that 18 led white are too much..infact i think to substitute 3 led white whit 2 violet and one red or 4 violet and not red...have you any advise?thank :D

Thos UV are to low NM. I found mine at www.nanotuners.com The lens will increase the light output by focusing the light into a tighter beam. Since you have a lot of high kelvin whites you may want to use maybe a warm white instead of red so its easier to blend. Could use red just like I did but you need to run very low mA cause they're hard to blend with the rest. Very powerful LED. Violets are nice to have. I like them

ok thank very much..i buy a led red 90 lumen at 670ma..is too much?i building another led lighting for my another tank(37 gallon and 15white and 12 blue all with lens 60 degree so i have many led...i can substitute 2 led of 6 led at 15000k with 2 led white 6000k always cree...so i have only 4 led at 15000k and put the red led and 2 or 4 violet from nanotuner,could be ther?.but this led violet are very powerful?the optical effect is showy?however i like much your tank...

Funktastic Wint
sammy113 said:
DSCF1128.jpg

i want one so bad!

i have a few questions tho.

how messy are they? will they stink up my house? if keeping them in my room will they keep me up at night? what are some drawback to sugar gliders? id rather ask a fellow reefer :)

ps yours is super cute :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey sammy.. Just a couple quick questions for ya. On page 13, regarding the fantastic pics of those zoanthids, were you using 24 LED's are the time? And if so, could you tell me what your ratio was of blues to white? And also, what size was your heatsink? I'm thinking about using a 10x10 heatsink over my 20x20 tank. Think that would be alright with 24LED's on it?

Thanks dude.

Thanks for reminding me those pages back :) those zoas have grown like crazy and spread all over the rock like I wanted at that time. Yes, I was using LEDs and I had 23 total: 12 Blues 11 CW. After that I changed some LEDs. Changed 4 CW for NW and another CW for a Red, 2 RB for Cool Blue and 4 more RB's for TV's. Now I have a very varied spectrum which I like a lot. As of now, lamp has:

4 True Violets

2 Cool Blue

6 Royal Blues

4 Neutral Whites

6 Cool White

1 Red

My heatsink is 8.5" x 8" and with a 120mm fan runs very cool. LEDs are driven at near 500mA so a fan is not really needed. A 10" x 10" heatsink will work for you.

BTW, I haven't forgot about the sump dimensions. Will work on that ;)

Damn I need to update this thread!

I went into a very sad process with my tank. Went to NYC on January for a week. Had my brother to take care of my tank. He knows a little from the hobby... The instructions were very simple. just feed the fish every other day. Everything else is automated. Just check the skimmer that doesn't overflow and make sure the ATO reservoir had water...

So one day my brother decided to bring our cousin home and my cousin messed up the LED controller. Changed the lights from 60% blues and 40% whites to 100% both channels in a override command to All On which basically sets the light to 24/7 at max intensity. Unfortunately my brother didn't noticed the spectrum changed so nothing to worry about. That happened a Tuesday and I was coming back on Thursday. So I came home and noticed something was wrong even without seeing the tank yet. The spectrum coming out of the windows was not the same, the light output obviously was insane. Needless to say I got more than 15 SPS frags and mini colonies totally bleached. White like snow. Huge algae outbreak and a dead percula. At least 6 corals were ORA so that sets me in a not so nice loss :(

Almost all the SPS still have polyp extension, just they're faded or almost completely white. I'm currently doing water changes (switched to H2Ocean salt mix) adding 5 drops of Brightwell's Coral Amino every other day and a quarter ampoule of Prodibio reef booster weekly trying to color them back up. So far so good. No algae breakouts due to heavy feeding. Actually some corals have begun to show some color back so I might continue this dosing schedule. Reduced the lights intensity down to 20% whites and 40% blues and less photoperiod. I'm periodically increasing photoperiod and then intensity. We'll see how it turns out

wow. i am sorry to hear the sad news! hope everything will be back to normal soon with more good things going your way bro!

Your scape is awesome btw! i won't get to play around scaping til next tuesday coming up!

Oh no!!!! God i tell you everything bad happens when people go away. It's like... none of that #### could have happened when you were there to fix it... It only had to happen when you were away. Damn you murphy's law!

Extremely sorry for your losses sammy. That just bums me out thinking about it. :(

Thanks for all the info on the LED's though sammy, i appreciate that.

Hope everything turns out well for you dude. :tears:

Oh yeah, i don't know if anyone asked you this already, but that new lamp housing you made on page 11, what material is that? Is it metal?

sorry to hear what happened. it almost seems that no matter who looks after your tank, something is bound to happen when your away for a few days. I hope all the SPS recovers makes a speedy recovery.

wow. i am sorry to hear the sad news! hope everything will be back to normal soon with more good things going your way bro!

Your scape is awesome btw! i won't get to play around scaping til next tuesday coming up!

Thanks man. Looking forward to your scaping!

Oh no!!!! God i tell you everything bad happens when people go away. It's like... none of that #### could have happened when you were there to fix it... It only had to happen when you were away. Damn you murphy's law!

Extremely sorry for your losses sammy. That just bums me out thinking about it. :(

Thanks for all the info on the LED's though sammy, i appreciate that.

Hope everything turns out well for you dude. :tears:

Oh yeah, i don't know if anyone asked you this already, but that new lamp housing you made on page 11, what material is that? Is it metal?

Yeah, damn Murphy's :angry: Thanks for your words.

The lamp housing is made out of acrylic as well. 1/4" White acrylic :)

sorry to hear what happened. it almost seems that no matter who looks after your tank, something is bound to happen when your away for a few days. I hope all the SPS recovers makes a speedy recovery.

gotta agree. It seems like everyone has its own story when were away. It was my time already... Oh well. So far corals are looking like responding well to the extra care. Some friends from local club offered a few ORA frags and some other sps so will be adding some fresh frags anytime soon :P

Sorry to hear about the tank, I've been following this thread since 2009, I appreciate how you explain what you do on the tank. De que parte de Puerto Rico tu eres? Yo soy de Ponce,.. estrano la isla,.

Well I hope all goes back to normal :D

Thanks for following man. I try to be as specific as I can and document everything cause I use the forum as my log :) soy de Lares, Saludos

• 3 weeks later...

The tank is still running. Like isaid before, recently had some problems when I was on vacations but still recovering. Everything looks quite good. Need to take some pics as some of the corals never noticed the 3 days on full light. The zoa garden has grown huge.

The rocks are glued with epoxy. I put them together while rock was dry so it was very easy.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in the process of moving things to my new tank (check in sig 40 breeder)

Some updates pics (they suck, not the best)

DSC_0669.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0655.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

DSC_0663.jpg

DSC_0664.jpg

Archived