inTank Media Baskets

Sammy's 20G Cube

sammy113

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks et. Working with the laminate is very easy. I did this for the first time and it turned very well. Basically is like putting a sticker. You need to apply contact cement to both the laminate and the wood, then just with a rubber roller or a soft cloth (like i did) press it evenly and remove any air bubbles. Then just trim excess with router and a bearing bit. Unfortunately I don't have more pictures than the ones I posted but I will be more than happy to help you with any tips. You don't really need lots of tools for this. Once you have your design done you can get the wood cut at Home depot or lowes and you just need to glue and screw :lol: Note that for a stand like this, you don;t really need a strong structure made with 2x4 or something. Just with 3/4" plywood is more than enough. Send me a PM with measurements and how would you like it. I can draw it for you in sketchup and give you al the exact dimension to get them cut. :)

Hi sammy. Thanks for the encouragement and offering to help me out! Hopefully I won't let you or myself down. If my project comes out looking 1/2 as nice as any of your work, I'd be a very proud man. Sending PM.

My skimmer was making splashes sound and everything in my sump was salty because of the cascade... so I made this little slide to control the waterfall :)

DSCF1300.jpg

DSCF1299.jpg

Now its even quieter and no more splash. Good thing is I can still adjust the water level with the mod. The slide is glued to the "tuning gate"

Well right now next thing happening here is the LED lamp build. I'm waiting for the LEDs that should be here anytime and hopefully get rid of those 2 extra grades in my temp. Otherwise I'll have to deal with a chiller or move the tank to my room where the temp will cool down with the a/c at night and hopefully stay cool during day. Actually I prefer not to move the tank. After i solve my temp issues then I'm getting some nice SPS frags. New fish is comming by next week that I'll be placing a big order with a group of friends

Dayumm! nice work Sammy omgomgomg

Tank looks crystal clear :eek:

:P heh thanks! I have some bad new (at least for me) that have been impatiently waiting for my LEDs to arrive. I just fried them because apparently I bough defective drivers. :slap: Fortunately they offered me sending new ones right away but still trying to get also new LEDs from them since their driver was the killer... So yeah... I wanna cry! :angry:

While my new LEDs and drivers arrive I finished drilling and taping the threads. I had a really bad experience with the Tap thingy. Don't know if it was too old and rusted but the bit broke inside a hole 3 times. I had to do 3 new holes for 3 different LEDs. End up using a bigger drill bit and having a weaker thread but this is not to apply tons of pressure though.

DSCF1342.jpg

Also did some modification on the heat sink. I want the lamp to be as low profile as possible so the fan over the heat sink is going to add me one more inch and I don;t want it that bulky. So did this:

DSCF1343.jpg

DSCF1344.jpg

DSCF1346.jpg

DSCF1347.jpg

Hope this doesn't affect the overall heat transfer process and still works for me

davidncbrown

It will affect it a bit, as you got rid of about 75% of the fins. But I think it still should work. The idea of the fins is to increase the surface area for heat to dissipate from... you just got rid of a lot of surface area I'm afraid.

Well Light is almost finished. Still need to work with the hanger, splash guard and covering the fixture housing with thin aluminum. Ran the lights for about 7 hours and surprisingly the Heatsink ran at very nice temperature. The fan is a 24V so it has some good power. Heres a shot of it. Notice that there is one lens missing in the rear right corner. It was a little off and when I push it to the LED it came off with the LED plastic dome. :angry:

DSCF1366.jpg

DSCF1367.jpg

And a very crappy picture of the tank. Still making adjustments on my camera to get a nice picture. looks like it can't handle the light.

DSCF1368.jpg

I love the dimming to adjust the desired color! I can go like 10K,12K,14K,16K,20K and so on... this is just amazing.

Special thanks to evil, without his help this couldn't be done.

Also thanks to Waterproof, Minadin, Crs2k, C Jerome for posting the step by step and diagrams that helped me a lot

great job on this setup man!! i really like the LED setup this is what i want to do for my setup but i believe i might need more led's lol... my current build consist of 28X21X16. But i think im going to end up with T5 for the time being until i can afford the LED's lol.

Great job!

Thanks erick. LEDs are not cheap but definitely cheaper than buying one of those solaris or galileos. Also I really enjoy building stuff.

Here's a cooked pic of the tank with the lamp in its place. Still need to cut down about 1" of the lamp housing height and then the lamp aluminum laminate. Still trying to get nice pics with my cam but no luck. By next week I'll be picking up a new Nikon D60 with a 18-105mm lens so yeah, lots of pics

fullshot.jpg

nice bro.... ubber bright! lol... i just picked up a bank of LEDs from one of the Solaris fixtures that my buddy had to take apart since some of the lights went out, he was retroing the leds into a 24" fixture, and just had some extras..... So i am going to make a tiny canopy out of black acrylic and i have to find a small heatsink and a buck puck to drive the 5 LEDs. Its going to be one bring pico!! lmao.

12X12X9 with a bank of Solaris led! lmao....

Good times :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just snapped a few pics to show the whole setup with lamp and dimming feature. This are not the best. They were not even photoshoped or anything. Everything raw from camera. Just resized.

Camera set at manual with same exposure and aperture. Just dimming lights

Here are the first round of pics. Dimming the Whites to end up with higher Kelvin 12k,14k,16k,20k, actinics...

All of them at 100%

DSCF1471.jpg

DSCF1472.jpg

DSCF1473.jpg

DSCF1474.jpg

DSCF1475.jpg

Full actinics. It doesn't really show the color as they should be...

DSCF1476.jpg

Now Dimming Royal Blues to acquire whiter kelvin

DSCF1477.jpg

DSCF1478.jpg

DSCF1479.jpg

DSCF1480.jpg

DSCF1481.jpg

And now some random Lamp pics and top down pics

DSCF1482.jpg

DSCF1486.jpg

DSCF1485.jpg

DSCF1487.jpg

DSCF1488.jpg

That fixture is amazing! So small and sleek but sooo bright! Nice job, that fixture and the rimless tank make that set-up look really sleek and...well...awesome!

Archived